Scenario WIP "Amis Kommen!"

Just a few shots of the bloody fight to get through the bocage, between the US forces, attacking and the Germans defending it.

These shots are taken from a map of 1040 X 1520meters depicting the offensive done from the 9th to the 13th June by the 90th US Division in order to cut the Cherbourg peninsula on the axis Utah beach to Saint Sauveur le Vicomte. It was the fierciest fight encountered from the landing. One of its regiment lost an average of 150 men each day, during these attacks. Their small ground gain, almost led to a stalemate. The High command had to releave the General commandind the 90th and its subordinates commanding its three regiments. It was the first time that US forces discovered the adverse effect of the Bocage. New tactics were tried and then widely diffused to other Divisions. The 90th did well later on.

The 150 minutes, scenario being played on the German side is taking in account the tactics used by the Germans, greatly outnumbered physically, mechanically and in weapons.

The final testing has been done and besides a subtle balance of points that has to be finalized, it should be uploaded in a week time.

I won’t tell you how must US forces there are, but believe me, to slow them down and to bring their attack with infantry and accompanying armor to a halt is going to be a real challenge.

Cheers

CMNormandy2011-07-0421-58-04-53.jpg

CMNormandy2011-07-0121-24-45-12.jpg

NCO is threatening at gun point a soldier surrendering. (actually he is shooting and will surrender in a few seconds)

CMNormandy2011-06-2912-23-53-19.jpg

CMNormandy2011-06-2816-35-38-62.jpg

To Mjkerner

Thanks, with your permission, I shall list your mods that could be used with the scenario.

To Lookeylou

Here is the map

CMNormandy2011-07-0416-50-14-34.jpg

To Desavage

The map intentionally has names being found in the areas of the Normandy bocage battles. However, the names of the real battles areas have not been used, since these areas are widely dispersed at regiment and even battalion level to be of some interest in B-N.

To render the tactical problem encountered by the 90th Division , I had to recreate areas permitting to deploy the Germans the way they fought. Naturally, the map is made, taking in account the bocage and the ground features that are found in the real area are there..

Without these features, the attack and the defence tactics that can be used would not be realistic; that is my personal point of view. I know; that almost all is needed in the map is there, very simply since I live in the area and that I can look at it and at the map in a minute time.

The Germans have an Infantry Company, reinforced with 75mm and 50 mm AT, 2 StuG III and 2 StuH42, mortars and a Nebelwerfers 215 mm battery coming late. Reinforcements are 2 PZ IV and 1 Panther, coming like the cavalry to the rescue and elements of a PZ grenadiers company mounted in Sd Kfz 251/1 (with 2 Hummels for close support) to attempt a counter attack or to prevent the front collapse. That depending the way the player will play during the 150 minutes of the scenario.

I let you guess the US Forces brought into that attack !

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Just 3 shots from the upcoming scenario « Amis Kommen » showing the tactical and operational map as well as a US and German unit patch presentation.

All testing has been done, remains only the briefing text and designer notes to be done.

The scenario will be played from the axis side, against the US A.I and it will be possible to be played H2H. I think that playing H2H will be quite interesting and surprising.

Sorry for the delay for uploading the file, but I have been quite busy. However, it should be ready this week.

Cheers

tactical.jpg

operational.jpg

952x350.jpg

You should rename the scenario to "Die Amis kommen".

"Amis kommen" sounds too unfamiliar.

Well, having not learned German at school, I decided, few weeks ago, to name the scenario, "Amis kommen !" remembering the most famous book about the D-Day written from the German side, which title was "Sie kommen!".

"Amis kommen!" is a cry, or rather a warning being cried.

Am I wrong to use it that way ? :cool:

Well, having not learned German at school, I decided, few weeks ago, to name the scenario, "Amis kommen !" remembering the most famous book about the D-Day written from the German side, which title was "Sie kommen!".

"Amis kommen!" is a cry, or rather a warning being cried.

Am I wrong to use it that way ? :cool:

I´m a native german speaker. "Amis kommen" sounds like a question for german ears.

"Sie kommen!" means "They are coming!" which is a warning. You need the article "Die" to make sure the expression is understood as a warning. So "Die Amis kommen!" sounds better. ;)

Anyway nice scenario!

I´m a native german speaker. "Amis kommen" sounds like a question for german ears.

"Sie kommen!" means "They are coming!" which is a warning. You need the article "Die" to make sure the expression is understood as a warning. So "Die Amis kommen!" sounds better. ;)

Anyway nice scenario!

Thank you very much for your sound explanation. So, let it be "Die Amis kommen !", I shall keep that title from now on.

Cheers

Of some interest that map with the latest intelligence about the German units and their known positions just prior D-Day.

That map is a good complement to the previous one drawn from later AAR and intelligence reports. You will notice that the 352nd Div was thought to be in the St Lo, Vire and Balleroy areas instead that on the 716 Div coast positions; that made a costly surprise for the troops on Omaha beach

Cheers

Germanknownunitsbefored-day.jpg

« Die amis kommen ! » They are coming for sure, despite the fact that I have been pretty busy these last days.

I have done the briefing for the Germans against the A.I, since that is the primary objective of the scenario and decided also to do it briefly for the US forces knowing that it will be only for a H2H. The set up areas of the US have be done in such a way that their departure line will be within their limit, but you will be able to switch the units at will at least for most of them. The reinforcement time and the units strength have not been changed.

The set up of the Germans forces in the H2H remains the same that against the A.I. But it affords numerous possibilities.

The scenario runs smoothly on my laptop with Vista, playing Elite Real time. But I advice people playing it to close their computer and start again. That way the memories will start fresh and have no restrain. All the non permanent things will be dumped.

Time to play it comes short,

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...