No pz III's or pz II's at normandy at all?

I was just browsing through the german tanks available and it struck me that there were no panzer 3 or panzer 2 versions available at all...

ive heard of pz3 and pz2 being used around the battles of normandy... ive even heard of captured french tanks being used.

but all i see on the german side are pz4, pz5 and pz6 (and a marder 3)

whats with the lack of panzer models?

did they just not have time to model them in the game?

will they be added later?

I was just browsing through the german tanks available and it struck me that there were no panzer 3 or panzer 2 versions available at all...

ive heard of pz3 and pz2 being used around the battles of normandy... ive even heard of captured french tanks being used.

but all i see on the german side are pz4, pz5 and pz6 (and a marder 3)

whats with the lack of panzer models?

did they just not have time to model them in the game?

will they be added later?

They had to start somewhere and I guess they didn't want to start by modelling the strange and rare and ineffective.

It seems like if you can get Shermans and Panthers and M10s and STGIIIs right, you have a good foundation and standard range of outcomes from which to expand your stuff later. there is a whole slew of German Halftrack types. That's cool. And plenty of armored cars. And trucks and jeeps. A lot of stuff really. And it all interacts convincingly.

+2 to Mengjiao. How they did it with CMSF was to keep adding small additional vehicles with each new module. Little extras which were included in the new module which of course introduced new TO&Es. It is not a sure thing but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some of those "out of way" vehicles and equipment with each new module. By the time the fourth module for CMBN series is here, we'll have a well rounded toybox.

Again...IMHO.

I looked it up once in the hopes of building a case for the inclusion of the PzIII and the numbers aren't really there to make the case.

There weren't a lot of PzIIIs in Normandy and they consisted of a rather surprising number of variants. From IIIE all the way to IIIN iirc. Probably due to their use in training units or HQs. Which is probablyalso the only place you'll find the PzIIs, if any.

French tanks are probably the most interesting because while there weren't many of those either, those modest numbers are spread over just a few different vehicle types. Alas the problem there is that these are completely different from each other and would be a pain to model all of them. Given their marginal combat track record, maybe not the best use of BFC's time.

The 50mm-armed version was entirely obsolete, PzIII with the short 75mm gun survived to war's end and was actually well liked by its crews for its reliability. Its utiility (and life expectancy) would be roughly equivalent to on-map M8 HMCs. I can't say I've seen any Normandy invasion photos of them, they are around during bulge battles and after, though.

Dredged from the net

Pumas ,100 [+1] built and the majority fought in Normandy.

The Sd Kfz 234/2 would see action in Normandy in three Panzer divisions. 2. Panzerdivision and Panzer Lehr Panzerdivision were both fully equipped with the “Puma” having a compliment of 26 vehicles. The 2. Panzerdivision’s along with the Panzer Lehr division’s “Pumas” can be represented with the Panzer Lehr Panzerspähkompanie Intelligence Briefing PDF. First SS Panzer “Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler” also had a number of Puma armoured cars but did not posses a full compliment of them

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=519

There were few PzKpfw III in Normandy.

-3 Ausf L or M with 50 cm gun in HQ Co/Pz.Rgt.16

-3 in HQ Co/II/Pz.Rgt.16

-3 in HQ Co/Pz.Rgt.22

-1 in I/pz.Rgt.22

-1 in HQ Co/I/SS-Pz.Rgt.9

-1 in 2./Pz.Ersatz und Ausbildungs Abt.100

Also command,recovery and artillery observation versions were in use.

Virtually all sites agree there were no PZIIs in Normandy

well it seems there were far fewer PzIII and PzII at normandy than i was lead to believe...

Niklas Zetterling in Normandy 44, pg 64, gives a total of 30 in "the West" not necessarily Normandy and Jentz in Panzer Truppen, Vol II, pg 177 gives 39.

Zetterling has an interesting observation saying since the panzer was considered obsolescent the units may not have reported it as it was used mostly for HQ and admin functions as it had little combat value but could provide mobility and armor protection to various staff officers.

The only place I can envision the Pz II in 1944 is maybe doing anti-partisan duty in the Balkans (or similar backwater) or alternately having its turret dug in as a pillbox on some defensive line...including the Atlantic Wall. Pz II Luchs may be the only exception and I don't think there were many of them in Normandy since most saw service in the East.

82nd Airborne facing 3 Renaults on D-Day. Maybe they were the only Renaults in Normandy?

There were, IIRC, two battalions of mixed French tanks in the Cotentin. Both were, again IIRC, training battalions, albeit with be-prepared-to tasks involving combat. Both were essentially destroyed within days of the landings.

Pz II Luchs may be the only exception and I don't think there were many of them in Normandy since most saw service in the East.

I'd like to see this one, there is just as much rationale for including this as there is for including the Puma imo.

I would also note that there was enough to justify the inclusion of H39s and PzII L in CMBO. I'd rather see R35's though. Or both.

Hoolaman, my information is that virtually all the Puma's were sent West and many saw action in Normandy whereas most of the Luchs were in the East - few in Normandy. Production numbers for each were less than 200, more like half that. Supposedly the 116 Pz Div was the only user in the West.

Yep, the final incarnation of the PzII was epitomized in the luchs (lynx) model and was fairly drastically changed from it's original counterpart. It was used to make up part of the inventory of some of the reconnaissance units.

Don't know which theater they were primarily used in (East or West).

Actually it would probably be fairly effective as a purely anti-infantry vehicle in-game,

so it would be nice to have it.

Niklas Zetterling in Normandy 44, pg 64, gives a total of 30 in "the West" not necessarily Normandy and Jentz in Panzer Truppen, Vol II, pg 177 gives 39.

Thereof 6 with II./Pz.Rgt. 15 from 11. Panzerdivision. So with the 12 dieseltaylor mentions we would be looking for 12 somewhere else.