The difference in battle's

For QB purposes it dictates the AI-chosen force mix and proportions and its a guideline for mapmakers on how the orchestrate the AI orders sets. Meeting engagements have roughly equal forces both on the move, the other three types have attackers and (usually more static) defenders. The defenders often already occupying the objective. Probe-attack-assault should have progressive more lethal attacking forces, in theory.

I just opened three small QBs as the attacker: one probe, one attack, and one assault. The attacker purchase points were 1836, 1908, and 1981. So an attacker's 'assault' gets 145 more points than a 'probe', while the corresponding defenders points actually dropped by 145. A 290 points spread would make for a more desperate battle on the defender's part.

If I remember correctly, in CMx1 an assault battle increased the attacker/defender ratio to something like 3:1 but at the same time gave the defender a deeper area in which to set-up (the flags were further back from the forward edge of his set up area). Attack and probe battles had similar but smaller effects.

It would seem from MikeyD's post that the point situation has been toned down and, if that is the case, I would hope that the depth effect has been as well. Whether this is a good thing I am not so sure.

I note that the CMBN manual (page 51) says that the points ratio does change, but not by how much, and that for an assault the attacker is given a "certain level" of intel on enemy positions.

The old CMx1 scale gave advantages/disadvatages to both sides for each battle type. It seems to me, on the information available, one would have to be very silly/confident to agree to be the defender in an assault QB in CMBN.

Hi,

Whats the difference between:

Probe

Assault

Attack

Meeting Engagement

???

Are you looking for explanations or definitions ?

A probe is simply an attempt to find out information about an enemy force. Perhaps you will use just enough force to get him to react and reveal where his lines are and perhaps light off some of his supporting fires.

An attack is more determined and will try and overrun or perhaps push an enemy back from territory he has just taken from you (also called counterattack). It desires a tactical outcome.

An assault is an attack with much preparation and perhaps air support to actually breakthrough, maybe envelope and rout the opposition. It is looking for a strategic advantage.

A meeting engagement is not always planned but in mobile operations often is a counter to an enemy mobile movement. Sometimes 2 forces unexpectantly moving towards each other bump up and an unexpected fight begins so it could be inf alone.

I did just that while checking out the purchase points. Select 'Human' unit purchase each side. The force picker will pop up first for the attacker then the defender.

Very cool. My favorite way of playing CMx1 was to set up hypothetical situations involving unbalanced forces. Historically, this was how most battles occurred. I was a bit anxious that the QB system in CMx2 was going to force us to always "fight fair".

Michael

Very cool. My favorite way of playing CMx1 was to set up hypothetical situations involving unbalanced forces. Historically, this was how most battles occurred. I was a bit anxious that the QB system in CMx2 was going to force us to always "fight fair".

Michael

You could do this and preserve the FoW by giving one side or the other a percentage advantage. "Force Adjustment" allows you to set the Allies strength to be 60-150% of the German. According to the manual.

"Force Adjustment" allows you to set the Allies strength to be 60-150% of the German. According to the manual.

Not exactly. What the manual says is:

Note. “default purchase points” does not mean that both sides have always the same amount of points! The amount of points per side depends on the chosen Battle Type and Size. For example, in an Attack/Defend type situation, typically the attacker will receive more points than the defender by default. In an Assault, the attacker will receive even more (almost twice as many), while in a Meeting Engagement, the point values will be nearly identical.

Just above that it says:

The options allow you to give the Allied Force an extra 150% of units, or to deduct 60% from the Allied pool.

Now if I am interpreting that correctly, in say an assault engagement, the Allied side could end up with 500% of the German side if attacking or just 20% if defending. This is not unreasonable as attackers would try to organize a serious attack to go in at 300%-900% of the defender's force at the key point of the attack.

Michael