Highway Tiles = Rubik's Cube :-(

:mad:

I've devoted many patient hours to making custom battle maps for other games in the past. But the highway tiles in the CMBN map editor are driving me (no pun intended) to distraction! Even after reading the highway tutorial (thanks for posting), I'm only more lost and frustrated with all this selecting, rotating and flipping to make so many different pieces match properly.

I may have to abandon mapping entirely until someone posts a video tutorial, or one even more detailed and step-by-step. I can't believe how complicated it is to fit all those tiles together, and how anti-user the editor is in this aspect.

Why in the world can't we have an editor that just lets us "paint" the highways and roads as lines, like other game editors do? But, if it has to be this way, it certainly would have helped to have more than the nearly nonexistent instructions in the manual.

I give up.

I'm the guy who figured out and corrected the original CMSF highway tiles (they were a real mess) and put together the tutorial. And even I get flummoxed by them! Its always "Oh damn, where's that darned tutorial?" Whenever I touch the highways. They work, and once you finally get going they're pretty easy to construct. But their level of complexity simply bumps up against the limits of my I.Q. :)

What's getting me stuck are Steps 4 and 5 of the tutorial, placing the shoulder tiles -- in the images, the tile types seem to suggest that the sand-colored wedge shape in the corner represents terrain and the black part of the tile represents pavement. But when those tiles are applied, the sandy colored area of the tile icon is pavement too -- so I get a jagged highway. I can't seem to find the right tiles that have just a smidge of border on them, for those little edges of the highway.

Also: Why is a highway paved with bricks? French highways were asphalt in 1944, like ours.

Also: Why is a highway paved with bricks? French highways were asphalt in 1944, like ours.

Asphalt wasn't widely used in France until after the war, especially in the less central areas like Normandy. Macadam was probably the most common pavement type at the time.

Asphalt wasn't widely used in France until after the war, especially in the less central areas like Normandy. Macadam was probably the most common pavement type at the time.

OK, I'm not a pavement grog -- but in looking at Macadam, the appearance is really more like packed fine gravel than a brick road. It's a smooth surface but lighter colored than asphalt. So, for Norman highways, shouldn't we really be using a double course of gravel road to get the right appearance? And in that case we also wouldn't need to worry about getting brick patterns to match up.

When I was a kid growing up in Maine (U.S.A.) there were still a lot of 'tar' country roads. Hardpack dirt with a binding of sprayed on tar. What a mess, especially on a hot day. Sort of a poor man's 'macadam'. My father pointed out that a large stretch of highway 1 running through the state had been "cordury" road - dirt over cut timbers - until only recently! The 'good old days' are closer than we imagine them to be, only a few decades.

When I was a kid growing up in Maine (U.S.A.) there were still a lot of 'tar' country roads. Hardpack dirt with a binding of sprayed on tar. What a mess, especially on a hot day. Sort of a poor man's 'macadam'. My father pointed out that a large stretch of highway 1 running through the state had been "cordury" road - dirt over cut timbers - until only recently! The 'good old days' are closer than we imagine them to be, only a few decades.

And they are still huge fans of the fire lane...no tar whatsoever, just packed dirt.

I remember my brother getting us stuck in some sugar sand one day in Standish, when his tire went off the "road". LOL...about 4 hours later we were driving again. Damn, man...that was like 81 I think.

Mord.