Combat Mission: Gettysburg?

Would it work? The Civil War is my favorite conflict in terms of content.. but I would imagine it would be impossible to model favorably all the components that would make the game an interesting WEGO experience.

Syd Meyer failed miserably, but at least he tried.. Gary's game Blue and the Gray was just too big, hard to get deep into it.. I need things shooting at one another to keep my ADD interested..

Discuss..

Have you ever checked out Norbsoft (X Madminute Games guy) and their Gettysburg game? It's pretty much the Combat Mission of The Civil War. Minus the WEGO of course.

Mord.

Wow.. never heard of this game ever.. I feel like a total idiot. Thanks dood.. you're chock full of data

LOL. No need to feel like an idiot...a lot of these niche developers fly under the radar.

Have you played the game?

I played their Take Command Bull Run game way back when they were MadMinute Games. They made a sequel too, never played it though...but the games will definitely scratch any Civil War itch you may have.

I DLed the Gettysburg Demo and checked it out. It was really sweet looking but was a bit slow with my old Vid card.

I think you'd dig it. They are very committed to the history and accuracy of it all. They have a pretty loyal following just like here. And I believe there are a few guys from these boards that frequent theirs.

Check them out and let me know if you like it. Check your PM I sent you some info.

Mord.

Not being American, I was sceptical of their last game, as mad minute games, Take Command 2nd Mannasas, but I found it really enjoyable - they had a really nice system for allowing players to play at different levels of command, so you could command anything from a small brigade to an army consisting of several corps, so if you were a brigade commander you would be given objectives alongside the rest of the corps you were in, and it would all be simulated.

Coming to think of it, it'd be nice to see something similar in CM one day - but I think it'd be the worlds biggest game to code.

I bought this game. Here are some screenshots from the website.

ScourgeofWar1.jpg

ScourgeofWar2.jpg

And here is a link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U33EGUkzE8.

It's like an updated version of Sid Meier's Gettysburg. It's graphically interesting because it uses sprites instead of 3D models. I think reason is because the number of troops in even a small battle would otherwise render the game unplayable. But it looks really nice. And the game has a huge community which, given the subject matter, is even more tragic than the Battlefront community. If you are interested in the ACW I would recommend it.

One caveat. There is no wego or turn based play in this game. Also, you can't give orders while paused. (That killed the game for me.) And, like CMBfN, the game is stupidly hard and requires a huge commitment to learn how to play.

There is a demo available on the Scourge of War website. And if you buy the physical game you get a very detailed 113 page manual. No steel box though.

Surprised the Total War series has not ventured into this arena. The Napoleonic games were better than any i have encountered in that genre before. What they do they do damn well IMO.

There's a massive American Civil War mod for ETW that's been out awhile and is approaching a version 3.0. I made an authentic and accurate Gettysburg (Day 2) battle map for it, as well as an accurate map for Port Republic.

Great for eye-candy, but realism is constrained by the 20 unit limit and the requirement to micromanage every last thing they do. Still, modders have done amazing things with this game, and if you like the era you should check it out.

The CM engine as-is wouldn't lend itself too well to the peculiarities of civil war battle. Formation marches, volley firing, horses etc etc. Also the game engine is heavily weighted toward vehicles. It seem counterproductive to spend all that coding time on armor, interior stowage etc. only to build a game without any vehicles! Well, they sort'a half did that already. The Mujahideen in CM:Afghanistan is not exactly a vehicle-heavy force. :D

i guess the total war series is much better for such battlefields.

i almost have all games from rome total war on.

what i bought with cm:normandie is a different time battle, but i like it very much.

if they also had an up to date online option, it would be my favorite, because i really like to play together with other humans everywhere in the worls.