If you haven't played the Devilss Descent Campaign ... DO SO!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played through the campaign and enjoyed it, but I do have a couple of small suggestions. In the dialog, it seems that the only cuss word they know is 'F**k', I would suggest mixing it up with 'Sh*t', and 'Sonofab**ch', etc. for a little variety.

I also think you might want to make it a little harder by throwing in a few more Germans.

Good job though, it's obvious you put a lot of work into it.

Just completed the campaign as well, really enjoyed it. I quite enjoyed the last mission, though my defending force never really felt threatened (The mortar I got at the start my guy got over 50 casualties!), it was really awesome to have an entire company of paratroopers just show up behind the Germans with excellent cover to boot. Kinda felt like Band of Brothers episode 3 where the Armour comes to the rescue, except it was paras to the rescue.

• 2 weeks later...

What a gem!

I enjoyed it a lot, while the campaign is marvelously built, each individual missions is great in itself. The background really add more than a flavour, it remind me the book in which the reader is the hero.

Definitely my most enjoyable solo experience on CM2 GE!

Thank you very much Field Marshal Blücher for such a load of gaming pleasure and thank you BF for CMBN!

• 2 weeks later...

Bluecher, you're a genius!

Probably the single best campaign I've played in any of the CM iterations.

Immersive, challenging and yet thoroughly playable.

For me coy-level infantry combat (with perhaps a platoon or two of armour) is the best platform for CM's joys.

The "Courage and Fortitude" campaign was just too big and unwieldy for me, since I play RTS and don't like having to pause all the time to get sitreps and issue orders. Plus it had some other elements that didn't endear it to me (which are detailed in a few other threads).

My dear Feldmarschall, please make more campaigns - I would pay!! Perhaps even a little extension of C Company's travails...

R

First, of all, I'm very glad you all are enjoying this campaign so much. It was a pleasure to design it and play it myself, and I'm so happy that all of you are having as good a time as I did. :)

Second, there's been a lot of talk as to further campaigns. Since I've been meaning to post about my future plans, I'll lay them out here.

Let me get this out of the way: Captain Evans' war isn't over yet. C/1/508 PIR have some work to do. However, I'd been playing so much with Airborne infantry that I wanted to step away from continuing the Devils' adventures for a little and work on some decidedly different projects.

My next upcoming release (which should hopefully be available for playtesters in the next few weeks, and hopefully to the general public a week or two after that) is a larger-scale, combined arms campaign entitled Die Letzte Hoffnung, which tells the (again, historically inspired but changed up a bit to make it more fun) story of the 116. Panzerdivision in Operation Lüttich, the Mortain Counterattack, on 7 August. Your core forces are substantially larger, and are more on the order of a depleted battalion-size Kampfgruppe. Die Letzte Hoffnung features more shinies (Panthers, Nebelwerfers, and heavy artillery) than did Devils' Descent, which will hopefully compensate in the fun factor for the larger size of the scenarios. It alas has fewer choices (only one) than Devils' Descent, mainly because the route taken by 116. Panzerdivision and the type of actions it was involved in leave less room for variance at the company-battalion level. It will retain the narrative style of Devils' Descent, though, and should hopefully be quite a bit harder (although I'd still like to keep the difficulty well below ball-busting :D).

After Die Letzte Hoffnung comes out, I don't know what my next project will be. I'm considering either doing the extension of the Devils' adventures, or starting something different and semi-secret. Rest assured, though, I'll keep making campaigns as long as the CM series is running! :)

-FMB

First, of all, I'm very glad you all are enjoying this campaign so much. It was a pleasure to design it and play it myself, and I'm so happy that all of you are having as good a time as I did. :)

Second, there's been a lot of talk as to further campaigns. Since I've been meaning to post about my future plans, I'll lay them out here.

Let me get this out of the way: Captain Evans' war isn't over yet. C/1/508 PIR have some work to do. However, I'd been playing so much with Airborne infantry that I wanted to step away from continuing the Devils' adventures for a little and work on some decidedly different projects.

My next upcoming release (which should hopefully be available for playtesters in the next few weeks, and hopefully to the general public a week or two after that) is a larger-scale, combined arms campaign entitled Die Letzte Hoffnung, which tells the (again, historically inspired but changed up a bit to make it more fun) story of the 116. Panzerdivision in Operation Lüttich, the Mortain Counterattack, on 7 August. Your core forces are substantially larger, and are more on the order of a depleted battalion-size Kampfgruppe. Die Letzte Hoffnung features more shinies (Panthers, Nebelwerfers, and heavy artillery) than did Devils' Descent, which will hopefully compensate in the fun factor for the larger size of the scenarios. It alas has fewer choices (only one) than Devils' Descent, mainly because the route taken by 116. Panzerdivision and the type of actions it was involved in leave less room for variance at the company-battalion level. It will retain the narrative style of Devils' Descent, though, and should hopefully be quite a bit harder (although I'd still like to keep the difficulty well below ball-busting :D).

After Die Letzte Hoffnung comes out, I don't know what my next project will be. I'm considering either doing the extension of the Devils' adventures, or starting something different and semi-secret. Rest assured, though, I'll keep making campaigns as long as the CM series is running! :)

-FMB

Sounds awesome.You Sir,are my Hero.:D

You get it on the repository on the www.battlefront.com website. You have to sign in to download files from the repository.

Once you download the campaign, unzip it and drop the uncompressed file into the "Campaigns" data folder in one of the subdirectories that the Combat Mission game was installed in on your computer.

Run Combat Mission ... when you click on the "Campaigns" button in the menu ... Devils Descent will appear!

Dumb question. If the file comes in an .rar file, how do you unzip it? I tried changing the name to .zip, no luck.

Dumb question. If the file comes in an .rar file, how do you unzip it? I tried changing the name to .zip, no luck.

Download or install WinRar or 7Zip and double click the file jst as you would a normal .zip-file.

Finished it recently on 'Elite'. 33 KIA, 58 WIA including one platoon leader and about half of the company's NCOs. The company almost ceased to exist as a fighting force, but enemy losses were three or four times as high. Very well done - can't wait to see more!

I really enjoyed it as well! The narrative added nice atmosphere linking the missions and providing context. The ability to make choices as to what your next battle will look like was really engaging.

I also think this is a perfect campaign for a beginner to CMBN once they have completed the two tutorial campaigns.

My thanks to Field Marshal Blücher.

Chris

Just starting this camapign and am looking forward to seeing a larger battalion size task force on a large map that gives room for maneuver and many attack plans.

What I really miss from CM1 (and even CMSF) are the large scenarios with an interesting mix of units rather than just a simple company of (say) infantry. The small scnearios are too head on head imo, and for me most of the fun is in the recon and maneuver aspects.

I know many people here like the small intimate scenarios - but hopefully you guys have enuff as nearly all the scenarios to date seem small and intimate.

BTW: I just started FIRE BRIGADE, which is a comparatively large scenario that looks very interesting. So, if you are one who likes large scenarios...

I know many people here like the small intimate scenarios - but hopefully you guys have enuff as nearly all the scenarios to date seem small and intimate.

Scenarios may be small (personally I don't play them), but the campaigns are all large, Devils' Descent being the only coy-level version.

Interesting how we all like different things - I can't stand the amount of micro-management required to play btn-sized engagements.

R