Has this game conned me into believing that I am a tactical genius?

I have finally played through all three demo missions in WeGo mode, and managed two total victories and a major victory, with the difficulty set to warrior for all three missions…

The enemy surrendered within 35 minutes during 'Busting the Bocage'. I was surprised - I'd only reached 'phase line blue' and was planning the next stage of my attack.

Now, I used to play CM1 until my Mac no longer supported it in 2007, but I'm sure that I'm NOT gifted when it comes to military tactics.

So, my question is this… are the demo missions (from attacker POV) somewhat unrepresentative of the missions in the full game, and designed to be relatively easy?

That said, I did notice that the player has a distinct advantage over the AI: He/she can brutally area-fire any location whenever he/she suspects that an enemy might be hidden there. I haven't noticed the AI doing the same, so far.

Yeah overall the demo missions were designed to be 'soft' for new players to CMX2. In saying that if you have never played CMX2 before i.e. no experience of CMSF then you may find the demo scenarios level of challenge a wee bit higher than someone who has experience of CMSF.

Playing them H2H may be a very differant experience as I found out with Busting The Bocage and am just starting to experience in Closing The Pocket! :)

Alternatively could well be you are a tactical genius :D

Or try playing the defender, too. I beat BtB eventually, even though I'd about run out of Ammo, and it was Total cos they surrendered due to having been beaten up, so I got all the terrain objectives, even though my losses were closer to 40% than the required 20%. Trying to stop the AI (which did a better job than I did of its attack, I'd hazzard - good AI plan) with the pitiful forces you're handed is rather more of a challenge.

In my view, the AI's lack of desire to area-fire willy nilly is compensated for by its uncanny ability to find LOS to the things you don't want it to kill... usually with HE.

I'm going to try exactly that - defend 'Busting the Bocage'. I'll report in a couple of days and let you know if my ego has been crushed :D

Note : I've just discovered that I can't target reference my own trenches! damn!

I'm going to try exactly that - defend 'Busting the Bocage'. I'll report in a couple of days and let you know if my ego has been crushed :D

Note : I've just discovered that I can't target reference my own trenches! damn!

Heh. I may be the slowest player in the world, and it only took me this morning to have my defense smashed beyond recovery. Less than 10 turns and my left-flank platoon was dead to a man, with about 15% casualties on the centre platoon. The right hand platoon had largely been ignored. I'd killed hardly any Americans by then. TRPs are important... Don't mess up the placement.