The M10 and its .50 cal

OK awesome, thanks....I had noticed that there was no "light fire" available plus the location of the .50 cal would cause the gunner to get out of the turret which based on all the animation that i had seen before (CMSF) I didnt expect them to shoot it, but I didnt know.

I think that .50 was intended for AA defense, although historically, Audie Murphy put it to good use against German infantry at the expense of his hide...he stood on the rear deck of a brewing up TD (M-10 or M-36 I can't recall which) and used the weapon to break up an infantry attack. AFAIK That's about the only practical way to fire the .50 forward, is from the rear deck.

I think that .50 was intended for AA defense, although historically, Audie Murphy put it to good use against German infantry at the expense of his hide...he stood on the rear deck of a brewing up TD (M-10 or M-36 I can't recall which) and used the weapon to break up an infantry attack. AFAIK That's about the only practical way to fire the .50 forward, is from the rear deck.

I'm not sure the same shouldn't apply to the Shermans. Wasn't their 50 cal mounted as AA and only useable from outside the turret?

From what I've read the .50 placement was pretty much universally despised so if you hate it too its historically accurate. :) It appears if your unbuttoned M10 TC sees a threat to his rear he'll hop on the .50 cal and take care of it while waiting for the turret to slowly rotate. Otherwise there's no 'target light' and no coax mg. The M10 really doesn't want to be used as a tank.

You guys should have seen it several versions back, the crew would swing the turret around to use the 50 cal far too often. Not good when there's enemy tanks lurking around. Made worse with the slow traverse of the turret. I had a few hair pulling occasions with the turret facing the opposite direction when confronted by an enemy tank. :eek:

Maybe there should be a light target order available for the M10. Obviously for times when the player wants to manually use the 50 cal. But as for the TacAI attempting to choose when to, I for one am very happy it doesn't.

Reply to Smacks first post, there is no coax MG on the M10, just the main gun and rear facing 50.