Combat Mission feature missing

Well there's a couple of things. You can look at what terrain they're in - that helps.

But really the main point is that in traditional wargames you'd fire on a unit and the type of terrain they were in would affect how much firepower they were subjected to. In BN, as every bullet is ballistically tracked so the *path* from the firer to the target defines whether the bullet reaches them or not, to the extent that soldier A may be safe behind a tree, while soldier B is exposed to the firer and may be hit - and all soldiers would suffer suppression or not based on how many bullets were hitting near them.

So - look where they are. And it matters less than it did.

A single tile could contain [grass type] + [road type] + [scrub] + [tree(s) type] + [flavour object(s)]. Or some other similar combination. Edit: and as Sergei points out below, a squad - on the move or stationary - can be spread across up to three such tiles.

Your not missing anything, there is no terrain indicator. Reason being is that a single squad can occupy up to, I think, three different tiles. So it's not as cut and dry as in CMx1.

Actually even a single team on the move could be spread out all over the place. In CMBO it was easier because a squad had the footprint of a needle so you could determine precisely the terrain type underneath them.

I recall an old British term, the "mk1 eyeball". You can tell what terrain your unit is on by looking. If they're standing in a plowed field they're in a plowed field, if they're in waist-deep hay then they're in waist-deep hay. I'm not entirely sure how having a UI display saying 'wast deep hay' adds to the information.

I'm not entirely sure how having a UI display saying 'wast deep hay' adds to the information.

The CMx1 style information e.g. "scattered trees" gave a good indication what cover and especially concealment one could expect. In CMx2 I´am a) unable to precisely put a unit where I want to because the game chooses a location inside an action spot and B) therefore unable to tell if the chosen spot offers cover and concealment.

Unless WYSIWIG is really WYSIWIG which would render the information useless (as you said).

Are the Pixeltruppen smart enough to hide in the best cover in a tile? E.g. crawl into a dip rather than stand in the open

Are they even smarter still and will move a tile either way to better cover? E.g. stand in the middle of the road or move off it into the drain ?

Are the Pixeltruppen smart enough to hide in the best cover in a tile? E.g. crawl into a dip rather than stand in the open

Are they even smarter still and will move a tile either way to better cover? E.g. stand in the middle of the road or move off it into the drain ?

In my experience, Mr. Oz, they are smart enough when stationary, but I usually help them along by giving a face command at the end of a movement. That guarantees they will seek the best cover possible in relation to the given direction (e.g. they will retreat a lttle to be behind a crest line). The TAC AI is not infallible but it usually does a pretty good job of it.

We should at least be able to click on the map and get a terrain type description.

It's not that simple...

A single tile could contain [grass type] + [road type] + [scrub] + [tree(s) type] + [flavour object(s)]. Or some other similar combination. Edit: and as Sergei points out below, a squad - on the move or stationary - can be spread across up to three such tiles.

Mord.