Is it deliberate that the attacker knows so much?

It seems that if you play any of the scenarios as the attacker, you have "?" icons giving you a darn good idea where the defenders are during setup. The defender doesn't get any "?" icons during his setup.

Is this deliberate? How does the attacker get such good intel? This is on Warrior and (I think) Elite.

GaJ

It seems that if you play any of the scenarios as the attacker, you have "?" icons giving you a darn good idea where the defenders are during setup. The defender doesn't get any "?" icons during his setup.

Is this deliberate? How does the attacker get such good intel? This is on Warrior and (I think) Elite.

GaJ

This is a setting the scenario designer can choose and acts as information passed on to the attacker by previous scouting efforts.

[Edit] Saw that it is GAJ asking, so I will add this line: It's like this in CMSF :P.

Yup. What Stikkypixie says. The scenario designer can specify which side(s) has pre-battle intelligence in the scenario editor and then determine the % of intel available to each side that has it - 10%, 20% etc, etc. The higher that value, the more '?'s you will see when you start the mission.

Yup. What Stikkypixie says. The scenario designer can specify which side(s) has pre-battle intelligence in the scenario editor and then determine the % of intel available to each side that has it - 10%, 20% etc, etc. The higher that value, the more '?'s you will see when you start the mission.

Nice. I´m getting more and more conviced that someone did some serious thinking while designing this little game

:)

The units observed can also change if replaying the same battle. I don't know if this relates to differing battles plans or some other variable. This may not have been in CMSF. Actually it probably was.

PS Tip - drop your arty with long lead times as immediate barrages on those things during the setup phase. Not a bad idea to have long range HMGs looking at them too.

We finally got to see the way things work when we got Scenario Author mode. When you play in that mode, you'll see that the AI controlled units start in their default locations, where the designer placed them when he designed the mission. Then, when you click 'GO', the AI controlled units jump to their AI plan's locations, assuming of course that they were different. I was a bit concerned that this pre-intel would be worthless if the AI chose a different plan but I needen't have worried. When you have pre-mission intel on the AI side, the AI selects its AI plan before it displays the units and not after you hit 'GO'. A LOT of thought went into this design feature.

Definitely, just wondering though, often I'll have my guys actually in cover back from the defenses and then rush them out when the attack begins to avoid pre-planned artillery (the worst kind if they know where you are), was this actually ever done or is it extremely gamey?

Wooo! I'm legitimate! :D

yes, pretty much standard tactic in WW2 and in CM, jump under cover as soon as you smell incoming artillery (there will usually be a first spotting round way off target) and then pop up to waste any incoming attackers.

Now that the AI can also call in artillery anywhere/anytime, you are not even safe in SP games. :)