Command and control bug?

The HQ unit it is nearby is definitely the mortar platoon HQ, and that HQ is fine - this is the setup phase so no time for it to get panicked. On the 'plus' side, when the HQ orders up indirect fire, it does register the nearby mortar as usable.

I "moved" some units to the edge of the setup area but when I decided that it was the wrong place to put them and tried to "move" them back, they seemed to be registered as being outside the setup area and thus I could only plot them to move in the first turn. Anyone else found this?

The HQ unit it is nearby is definitely the mortar platoon HQ, and that HQ is fine - this is the setup phase so no time for it to get panicked. On the 'plus' side, when the HQ orders up indirect fire, it does register the nearby mortar as usable.

Can you post a screenshot of the mortar HQ and where it is in relation to the other HQs?

Because the mortar team's immediate superior HQ is the section HQ, not the mortar platoon HQ, as can be seen in the c2 chain in the lower left of the screen.

However, the mortar still has "in command" status (voice/visual icons) because of it's proximity to another HQ, so it won't suffer a morale hit for being abandoned by its own superior, the section HQ.

Also be aware that the section HQ does not have a radio (you can see in your screenshot that the link from the section HQ to the platoon HQ is also broken), so to fully restore c2 up and down the chain, the section HQ must be in voice/visual range of the mortars and the platoon HQ must be in voice/visual range of the section HQ.

I'm curious about a similar issue at the start of the busting bocage scenario I put all the mortar crews around the company HQ who has a radio. But during the mission the platoon HQ's can only contact their own platoon mortars via the company HQ even though the other platoons mortar crews are right next to them it says 'out of contact' or whatever.

Is this realistic? Is it a hard rule that the HQ of one platoon are strictly forbidden from requesting fire support from the other platoon via the Company Commander?

This is not the first thread where people are confusing the chain of command indicator with whether a unit is in command and control.

In brief the green lights/red crosses indicate the chain of command. The icons to the right of them indicate the unit's C2 status. In this case the mortar team are not in contact with their section HQ, which itself is not in contact with the Mortar Platoon HQ. The mortar team is however in visual and voice commad of some HQ (presumably, from the screen shot, the Mortar Platoon HQ). To find out which HQ has command of a unit one can click on the command icons.

This is not the first thread where people are confusing the chain of command indicator with whether a unit is in command and control.

In brief the green lights/red crosses indicate the chain of command. The icons to the right of them indicate the unit's C2 status. In this case the mortar team are not in contact with their section HQ, which itself is not in contact with the Mortar Platoon HQ. The mortar team is however in visual and voice commad of some HQ (presumably, from the screen shot, the Mortar Platoon HQ). To find out which HQ has command of a unit one can click on the command icons.

I noticed this as an improvement over CMSF: units isolated from their HQ may benefit from higher level HQ neighborhood.

Then there may be a broken link related red cross and voice and visual contact icons, at the same time, which I've never noticed in CMSF.

But while clicking on the red cross logically selects the organic HQ, clicking on one of the icons should lead to the actual HQ providing control, which doesn't seem to be the case.