Says you can customize unit names

Was just reading the demo manual pg 63, and saw it said you can customize the unit names instead of having the generic 1st platoon ect... description. Glad this can be done. I would prefer to give call sign names instead. Gives the unit more of an identy. This was a cool feature in TOW, but all one has to do is click name in GUI in that game to do this. How is this done easily in CMBN?

Always one joker in the bunch .I meant in the the GUI, but you are right I have called some of the troops in CMSF that and then some when they do something stupid like stand when they should be prone. I played one campaign in CMSF where instead of generic platoon names the names were things like "Havoc Platoon". Thought it was a nice touch that was practical too in a more unique way of identifying units.

How is this done easily in CMBN?

I believe it's done in the editor. You could open the game you want to play in the editor and rename all the units then resave it, I am guessing.

Mord.

I believe it's done in the editor. You could open the game you want to play in the editor and rename all the units then resave it, I am guessing.

Mord.

Like I said I saw this done for a campaign in CMSF. Went to to check it out in that editor and saw no option to rename. Not sure if this is something new, or accessed differently than CMSF. I do know it possible, just would like to know how to do it.

Perhaps in unpacking and modding string text?

The string text for names will just give you more names in the game, like if there was no Jones...you type that in and then the game will add a Jones randomly to your units. Just gotta make sure you add them in alphabetical order.

I am trying to remember now but I think the actual unit naming got changed in a patch maybe? You could name units but not squad leaders...now I think, after the last patch you can name squad leaders but not units. I am pretty sure this is what happened...it was some kind of bug that was actually good but was noticed after CMA came out or something and got squashed in CMSF.

Can anybody back me up on this or am I delusional?

Mord.

I am trying to remember now but I think the actual unit naming got changed in a patch maybe? You could name units but not squad leaders...now I think, after the last patch you can name squad leaders but not units.

It's like it is in CMSF currently. You can name squad or team leaders, and formations. So eg. you can have 1st Rifle Platoon and then change its name to Rednecks. This will change the platoon name, as well as the HQ name (instead of "1st Platoon (Rifle) HQ", it will be "Redneck HQ"). Changing the name of the Platoon HQ team changes the Platoon commander's name, ditto with squads. So two things: formation names, team/squad leader names.

It's like it is in CMSF currently. You can name squad or team leaders, and formations. So eg. you can have 1st Rifle Platoon and then change its name to Rednecks. This will change the platoon name, as well as the HQ name (instead of "1st Platoon (Rifle) HQ", it will be "Redneck HQ"). Changing the name of the Platoon HQ team changes the Platoon commander's name, ditto with squads. So two things: formation names, team/squad leader names.

Yes, but how do you access this to change? I see no option in editor. I know SOLDIERS names can be changed by modding "Soldier name" text file, but unit names are not in that text document.

Yes, but how do you access this to change? I see no option in editor. I know SOLDIERS names can be changed by modding "Soldier name" text file, but unit names are not in that text document.

You load a scenario, go to the Units, then choose the formation or unit you want to rename, and a "rename" button shows in the bottom. Then save the changes.

You load a scenario, go to the Units, then choose the formation or unit you want to rename, and a "rename" button shows in the bottom. Then save the changes.

Awesome! Thanks Sergei I got it to work. I couldn't see the rename button in the corner at first as it was covered by FRAPS text. This is a nice personalizing feature Battlefront that just adds one of those little touches that make the game that much more fun.