Bocage tip for WEGO players

If you want your tank to blow a hole in the bocage then you have to think ahead...use the pause command (a very important command for wego) pause for 40 secs then target bocage...otherwise you tank will just waste ammo on it for the whole minute.

A request for tanks to be able to use HE only and no mg...as I targeted the bocage to put a whole in and my tank wasted aload of MG amoo on it aswell.

If you want your tank to blow a hole in the bocage then you have to think ahead...use the pause command (a very important command for wego) pause for 40 secs then target bocage...otherwise you tank will just waste ammo on it for the whole minute.

A request for tanks to be able to use HE only and no mg...as I targeted the bocage to put a whole in and my tank wasted aload of MG amoo on it aswell.

In CMSF, a tank ordered to target a wall (or a building, for that matter) will cease firing when it makes a decent gap. Is that not true of bocage?

In CMSF, a tank ordered to target a wall (or a building, for that matter) will cease firing when it makes a decent gap. Is that not true of bocage?

Haven't tested this myself, but there was another thread recently where someone said that yes; tanks will stop firing after they've blown a hole in the bocage.

For non-CMSF players, to do this make sure that the target line is going to the wall (whether it's a stone wall or a hedge wall), NOT the ground next to the wall. If the target is the ground, the AI will treat is like a regular area fire order, and keep firing until told to stop.

My gut feeling is that blowing a whole in bocage with a (75-88mm) main gun in CMBN is not equal to blowing a whole in a wall with (120-125MM) main gun in CMSF. I think you'll waste a lot of ammo doing this.

I've fired lots of 75mm HE at bocage in the demo and I've yet to knock a hole in it.

My gut feeling is that blowing a whole in bocage with a (75-88mm) main gun in CMBN is not equal to blowing a whole in a wall with (120-125MM) main gun in CMSF. I think you'll waste a lot of ammo doing this.

I've fired lots of 75mm HE at bocage in the demo and I've yet to knock a hole in it.

Reference this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=96489

Short version: Yes, it is possible to blow holes in bocage with 75mm HE. Yes, it does take a lot of shells (though apparently making a small (infantry-sized) hole in low bocage takes less shells). And yes, the tank(s) will stop firing once a breach is created (though note that they won't stop of their own accord until a vehicle-sized breach is created).

I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to whether this is actually a useful tactic or not. Suffice it to say I haven't found call to use it yet.

I'd rather they kept it the way it is, 99.9% I use area target because I think someone's hiding over there, not to try my hand at hedge trimming with a cannon. It seems like it would such a rarely used tactic due to the massive ammo expenditure that I wouldn't change the behavior of target or target light for it.

If you want your tank to blow a hole in the bocage then you have to think ahead...

You certainly will, since it can take minutes for a single Sherman to blow a gap in a bocage hedge. I've had (for reasons other than blowing holes in the terrain) a Sherman firing continuously for 5 minutes at the same spot to no appareant effect (on the terrain).