Huge Maps

A week or so ago I started making a map that is now a 3km x 3km open rural map. I tried 4x4 but my PC couldn't handle it. Here's a screenshot of the (almost) completed terrain:

cmshockforce20110511165.jpg

It doesn't look all that big until you're at eye level or give a move order :D I really want to see how massive maps and relatively small forces play out, especially scouting and ambushes.

So, are you interested in huge maps and what are your experiences with them?

We are told that there is no design for scouting in CMSF, but using scout techniques to locate enemy units is a critical part of the game when on a large map. I enjoy it.

One appeal to scenario designers: please make scout and sniper units AT LEAST one level better than the ordinary troops to sim greater training. (imo, scouts and snipers should always be CRACK or ELITE.)

cmshockforce20110507225.th.jpg

I tried a quick battle but I think it'd work much better with either mirrored forces or comparable ones (I'd much prefer the latter, but it's time consuming and requires a lot of knowledge for it to work out right). The QB gave me a BTR inf. company and the enemy a BMP + T-72 inf. company, so you can imagine how that ended.

1-2 companies is probably the sweet spot. Though 1 was a bit thin on the ground.

I can imagine you could do counterattacks and all kinds of interesting things on a huge map, large assaults would be nice too, could try out some soviet doctrine and even a few company sized reinforcements :)

Looks good Hutch, the bigger the map the better. I would like to see the day when maps are so big that the units cant see across it at the begining, and some traveling must be done before the two forces seee each other. The only disadvantage is if you have an older machine it does not load fast, and can get laggy. Maps like the size of "Operation Flashpoint" would be awesome!

Yes George and I are building an “operation” of sorts where several scenarios play out over the same map.

In the first one you conduct the recon / counter recon battle with both sides have realistic skill sets to reflect their their actual training levels (Erwin you are entitled to your opinion but based on 30yrs service its factually incorrect).

Then in the second battle the OC of the recon group briefs the follow up forces commander (CT level) and they relieve the recon guys and act on the information they have been given.

After that there are some atks and c-atks all on the same map (but with successive levels of damage, wrecks, etc. added to reflect the ground being fought over).

Unfortunately the engine and machine hardware limits maps to these micro levels. It would be nice to get proper big maps as is possible in other products.

Huge maps are great!!! Please post your map as soon as it's finished.

So bad there're no on map mortars in CMSF. Would be great to make on map mortars the only source of heavy fire support for the mission and then make a run who destroys/protects one's mortars best.