Compatibility of demo and full game (vs play) ?

Have you tested this with CMSF?

I know for sure you cannot load demo scenarios into the full game and vice versa. Otherwise you can just download new scenarios for the demo. Don't know about the PBEMs though. Could be that the data is translated for the two scenario versions into a common format.

It would be a small issue since if they both were released together, I would not want to install the demo. However, my friend is on the fence about buying the game, whether it would run well on his older cpu, and I would want to PBEM him on the demo to get his interest up. However, that would require I install the demo too.. "polluting" my harddrive/win7 registry further.

I would not want to install the demo. However, my friend is on the fence about buying the game, whether it would run well on his older cpu, and I would want to PBEM him on the demo to get his interest up. However, that would require I install the demo too.. "polluting" my harddrive/win7 registry further.

Why not?

The demo doesn't pollute your windows, as far as I know, it only takes a bit of disk space. Its effect on your operating system is minimal, as is proven by the fact that you can just copy the directory and then the game works from the new directory.

It is a very clean installation, and the demo's don't install any drm devices.

Hi Erik.. just to clarify, most (vast majority) of items installed in the registry do not perform a complete uninstall.. they leave behind keys, registry values, etc. that bloat the registry over time. Not sure if its the same with Win7, but I presume so. Just run a registry tracker at time of install and see if those items are still there after uninstall. I imagine they are.

If you are indeed correct, and there are no registry entries made when installing the demo (doubt it), then I would have no problems installing both the demo and the game.

Hi Erik.. just to clarify, most (vast majority) of items installed in the registry do not perform a complete uninstall.. they leave behind keys, registry values, etc. that bloat the registry over time. Not sure if its the same with Win7, but I presume so. Just run a registry tracker at time of install and see if those items are still there after uninstall. I imagine they are.

If you are indeed correct, and there are no registry entries made when installing the demo (doubt it), then I would have no problems installing both the demo and the game.

I did a search through the registry of my windows machine, and the only registry entries Combat Mission (also old versions) makes are an entry for the un-installer, an application-path, probably used by the patches, and of course the entries for the start-menu.

And of course there are all those references from other programs, like Adobe acrobat, who remembers I read the manual, the explorer that remembered I browsed the game data, zip-programs that remembered I unzipped a mod, etc, etc.

In a modern windows system the basic registry entries of Combat Mission are completely negligible. It is fortunately not written in Visual Basic with 100's of COM components that have to register themselves and that could lead to fcked up systems.

What I'm saying is that if you've got the full game you can play the demo scenarios, therefore if you've got a mate who you want to play to see if they like it, they should be able to play using the demo.

I think the demo is simply the game with the possible scenarios locked in.

So the final answer is that the demo and final game are not compatible.

Demo battles can only be multiplayered with other demo copies.

Correct?

Kind of makes sense as - it's a demo. You want full features, you gotta buy the game. Jusy have your friend d/l and then go to his house and SHOW him how great it is.

So the final answer is that the demo and final game are not compatible.

Demo battles can only be multiplayered with other demo copies.

Correct?

Yes, correct. The reason is the Demo uses a lower threshold of DRM (copy protection) and is therefore more vulnerable to hacking than the actual product. The last thing we want is someone to learn how CM works using a cracked Demo and use that knowledge to cause problems for the full version. Therefore, the Demo has things ripped out, other things changed around, etc. so that a hacker can't direct compare the two.

Note that none of these changes have any affect on the actual gameplay. That's identical to the whatever the current release version is.

Oh, and the PC and Mac Demos are compatible with each other for TCP and PBEM.

Steve