What was the first game like Combat Mission you played on the PC.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Kampfgruppe" ... was fascinated, but did not have a manual (was a kid back then), so I did not get very far with it.

the manual of Kampfgruppe is quite cool. i still occasionally browse it as toilet reading. i wish modern games had manuals like they had back then. for example Kampfgruppe manual has anything from a tactical level ww2 short story to the actual code used in game's calculations for suppression.

the field manual style of CMBN's manual is pretty cool.

A great trip down memory lane this. Good to see a few fellow zx spectrum fans!

My first would have been Vulcan on the spectrum, along with other such titles during the 8 bit age. On PC, I think it was the talonsoft series of wargames along this steel panthers.

M1 tank platoon was also a big favourite of mine.

M1 Tank Platoon is one of those games that really set expectations to whole new levels. the sad thing with it, and other ones like Panzer Strike / Typhoon of Steel, is how companies and game designers fall trapped in the nihilistic rat race of computer game business.

sure, Steel Beasts is a bit like a modern version of M1 Tank Platoon & CM is a bit like a modern version of Panzer Strike, but they both are in the end inferior versions. i do not say this to badmouth CM or BFC, as i hold CM with the highest respect of all modern game series. i just think that if you compare the system specs of late 1980 and the games running on those systems, the modern versions of those games fall flat of meeting the expectations. e.g. if you think of M1 TP, the real failings it has are the weak AI and lack of infantry simulation -- then if you look at Steel Beasts it's still the same.

Wow I had a blast reading those fond gamers' memories... ZX spectrum, Archimedes, Amiga, those were the roaring 80's at their best. I always wondered why this frenzy of family computers was limited to Europe, whereas PC ruled over the US (but the PCs were then pretty limited as a game platform) (CGA graphics, yuk ! ;-)

Anyway, I remember one german game which rocked : BATTLE ISLES :

The cool thing was one player was moving his units while the other was attacking. When both players had given their orders, the attacks would be resolved and the surviving enemy units would then move as planned.

Pretty original wargame mechanics if you ask me. But hey, that was so much fun to play against your buddies !!!!

It might be considered as an ancestor of WEGO in a way...

Does anyone remember an operational level Cold War game on the Amstrad? It was a load of counters that ended up facing each other - blue and red surprisingly - as the West you had to fend off the Soviets for 20 days (or summat) as the Russians the opposite.

You could escalate up to nuclear war. If you did, you got "Warm puppy" at the West and "Midnight Sun" as the Reds.

Anyone?

Across The Rhine by Microprose

I had mentioned this game a few pages back ... since that time I found mine !

Of course , with a name of Abrams , I played the 4th Armored Division ...

As the German , the 11th Pz .... Arracourt is prob my most studied battle ...

Across the Rhine was a game I was going to get but the reviews were not very favourable.

Not an land based warfare simulation, but another old Microprose game I thoroughly enjoyed, having read the novel, was Red Storm Rising. First game I remember that had a dynamic campaign.

Chris

"Computer Ambush" which was a top down platoon level game as on an Apple IIe, my first computer back in the 80s.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/computer-ambush

http://tacticalwargamer.com/computergames/computerambush/computerambush.htm

This was a WEGO turn based game as well and enjoyable if a bit tedious.

Here is a video:

I bet the BBS's of the time had the same arguments we do today about all the groggy issues.

CLASSIC I remember that on my Atari by those awesome SSI guys. Wow brings back too many good memories.

In 1984 I played AH's "Dnieper River Line", which was basically a single scenario Panzerblitz boardgame with a computer opponent playing the Russians (not well, I kicked its arse).

But M1 Tank Platoon was the only other computer game I can think of that came close to the functionality of CM.

The Talonsoft games were basically conventional hex wargames -- Panzerblitz again.