Fuel Drum Attack

God, what a stinker that movie was. Almost enough to make me swear off war movies forever.

(BTW, I couldn't bring myself to watch the link because I assume you've posted some scenes from "Battle of the Bulge," guaranteed to bring me to the brink of nausea.)

Edit - yup, I was right. :D

Oh come on the final charge of 200 Chaffee's across the open fields cutting down the evil SS is the seminal work in Armoured Colleges to this day.

Besides the fuel drum thing was a simple mistake "Hey ? I thought you said the offensive failed because they ran INTO fuel, not OUT OF fuel"

forget the facts. you had robert shaw, henry fonda, telly savalas, um..dano, and other really good actors. sure it was a historical farce, but it had tension! where are the krauts? they're out there in that fog somewhere. thank god ole henry flew into that pea soup and spotted em or we'd have lost the war! :-p

As a kid I remembered him as the oldest boy in Swiss Family Robinson- had to love that treehouse they built, it was too cool. Along with the other middle boy that starred in Old Yeller (a real tear-jerker), can't think of his name at the moment.

Of course, I don't think anyone who grew up in 1940s-70s America wasn't bombarded by Disney and Co.

Historically, didn't US soldiers use French Milk Jugs for that sort of tactic?

Also...those same Panzer fellers had some lovely singing voices in that same movie...or was that Bridge at Remagen?

see, when i think of french milk jugs i don't think i'm thinking of the same thing you're thinking. and yes, they sang "panzerleid" or something like that.

see, when i think of french milk jugs i don't think i'm thinking of the same thing you're thinking. and yes, they sang "panzerleid" or something like that.

Right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ2YaThEms0

And them French Milk Jugs: http://fr.countrysearch.tradekey.com/milk-jugs.htm

Both will just get you moist for different reasons.

Say..where's that CMBN, anyways?

OK, then, what is the all-time classic war movie?

I nominate "Where Eagles Dare." Over-the-top special ops heroics, of course, but suspenseful and unforgettable. Plus, the great Richard Burton--

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy... Broadsword calling Danny Boy..."

Another really great one (not on DVD but it shows up on classic cable movie channels once in a blue moon) is "Five Graves to Cairo," a Billy Wilder film from 1943.

Erich von Stroheim plays Rommel.

Watch the original trailer:

This is one of my favourite scenes from the oldies, in particular from 20secs in, where the attack is all shot in one take that is about 1.20 min long. I always thought it gave it an authenticity as it has a combat photograhper, documentry feel to the scene, like something from "The world at war", D'you know what I mean ?

Were those German M60 tanks? Hehe, pretty sure they didn't field those ...

M47's actually but I am pretty sure Hitler didn't have too many of them either and the US Army had nowhere near that many M24's, mind you Tigers, Panthers and Shermans were probably pretty hard to come by by the time the movie was made.

I agree the film 'Battle of the Bulge' was a let down.

Back to barrels etc..

The scene was no doubt inspired by the genuine burning barricade which was set off on the road leading up from Stavelot to Spa (now part of the Spa motor racing circuit) in the belief that Peiper's battlegroup were heading for the huge fuel dump near Spa. As it happens the German battlegroup headed towards Trois Ponts and thence Stoumont and La Gleize.

The barrels were not used offensively however.

Now, there is one instance when barrels were used offensively, or at least as a booby trap/ ambush which I suppose is offensive. In 1940, the British unit defending Wormhout was overrun by a panzer unit and the survivors defended their HQ and fuel dump by triggering it as the German tanks arrived entered the grounds of the Chateau. The tanks were driven back temporarily.

So, obviously flaming barrel weapons will be included in the upcoming British/ Canadian module.