BFC Download server load

GaJ, I think I know what you're trying to do. At some point into this discussion, I believe you're planning to drop the following line:

"Being the altruist that I am, I would like to take some of the burden off of BFC's shoulders. Just let me download it first and I will put it up in CMMODS so people who have the activation code can download it from there. Oh, and please send it to me immediately so that I can start, uh, preparing my server..." :D

A torrent would probably work well. The mad rush that's virtually guaranteed on release day is tailor made for a torrent solution, and BFC wouldn't even need much in the way of seed servers.

I trust Battlefront has a good guess what bandwidth will be needed, and today there are good solutions to guarantee the availability of that bandwidth.

I always had good download speeds for CMSF products, and I downloaded most of them within hours of release.

I am afraid you will have to look for something else to worry about.

I think Mr. Emrys is quite right. It seems with this release counting the many old timers who've wanted a return to the theater coupled with all of the CMSF fans excited about a 'new' experience with an engine already close to them that it will in fact result in a demand 'unprecedented in BFC's experience'.

I also believe they have indeed connected the dots and it spelled out SUCCESS. The anticipation here is very high.

von shrad

I trust Battlefront has a good guess what bandwidth will be needed, and today there are good solutions to guarantee the availability of that bandwidth.

I always had good download speeds for CMSF products, and I downloaded most of them within hours of release.

I am afraid you will have to look for something else to worry about.

Not sure what gives you the impression I'm worried about it (or perhaps you're simply being snarky). But when you've got thousands of people all trying to download a gigabyte+ file, a torrent is a good solution. It requires relatively little bandwidth to start seeding, and then takes care of itself from there. I'm sure BFC will do what is necessary to ensure adequate bandwidth on D-day, but wanted to point out that swarming is a perfect, legal, and nearly free solution to these sorts of issues. My guess is that demand for CMBN is going to blow away every other Battlefront product to date.

Not sure what gives you the impression I'm worried about it (or perhaps you're simply being snarky).

A high level of anticipation usually comes with all kinds of worries.

But when you've got thousands of people all trying to download a gigabyte+ file, a torrent is a good solution. It requires relatively little bandwidth to start seeding, and then takes care of itself from there. I'm sure BFC will do what is necessary to ensure adequate bandwidth on D-day, but wanted to point out that swarming is a perfect, legal, and nearly free solution to these sorts of issues.

But you have to configure your firewall.

And every buyer will immediately close down the sharing program as soon as they have their file, in order to play the game, so most seeds will dry up before they have finished delivering.

Imagine all the support calls of customers who have technical problems, that is expensive.

A friend of mine worked a few years on a system of video-delivery based on the principle of file-sharing (but with a lot of encryption and security). In the end they just drove the system by supplying massive amounts of direct server bandwidth.

A world of technical inept consumers works different from a community of hobbyists who accept hiccups because it is free.

My guess is that demand for CMBN is going to blow away every other Battlefront product to date.

On an absolute scale in today's internet world it is still not very much.

When they just make a deal with some companies to provide the bandwidth, all will be much smoother.

And every buyer will immediately close down the sharing program as soon as they have their file, in order to play the game, so most seeds will dry up before they have finished delivering.

Not to mention that for "most" / "all" this becomes an "upload" that they then have to pay for (or at least contributes towards their monthly "quota" for traffic).

For our full game downloads, we are using a cloud server network with unlimited bandwidth and 100% uptime. The cloud has international access points, too, meaning that there are usually no download speed differences no matter where you are in the world. Usually the only thing limiting your speed are your own ISP and/or any bottlenecks in between, and we can't do anything about those.

We had a number of large releases via this cloud before and there have not been any issues that I can remember, ever. It is easily able to handle tens of thousands of parallel downloads, no problem. It is bloody expensive, but for our customers, we only choose the best :)

For our full game downloads, we are using a cloud server network with unlimited bandwidth and 100% uptime. The cloud has international access points, too, meaning that there are usually no download speed differences no matter where you are in the world. Usually the only thing limiting your speed are your own ISP and/or any bottlenecks in between, and we can't do anything about those.

We had a number of large releases via this cloud before and there have not been any issues that I can remember, ever. It is easily able to handle tens of thousands of parallel downloads, no problem. It is bloody expensive, but for our customers, we only choose the best :)

Awesome. We have a T3 connection to our office shared by only about 20 people so I should get a decent download speed, then. Thanks.