False contacts/unit misidentification still exist?

Hi guys.

I never really looked to find out, but are false contacts in the game? I thought they occurred in CMBO, but I may be mistaken since I haven't played them in so long.

The board game upon which this series is(was) loosely based up, Advanced Squad Leader, had some allowances for false contacts which would be labelled '?'.

Would be nice if not EVERY '?' that pops up would indicate an enemy in that location. And it would add uncertainty to a certain degree, possibly recreating the sense of tension.

I remember that sometimes you would only see the last known position of the enemy unit only to have it pop up somewhere else.. that was nice. But I am referring to the initial advance, where possible unit sightings would add uncertainty to the field.

Along the same lines, is unit 'misidentification' still a part of the game?? I used to love that where inexperienced units would think Tigers are coming down the alley only to have it be something else ;)

Sadly no, the new spotting system cannot handle misidentifying units as it's too busy handling all the relative spotting and dissemination through CC.

Is that gospel, Wicky? I mean do you absolutely know that as Beta Teaser? The reason I ask is that from my limited exposure at one of the previews, I rather got the impression that mis-identification was very much alive.

Sounds like your primary concern is vehicles, but Mord did a useful CMSF mod that renders all infantry icons "generic" so that you can't instantly single out the HQs and support weapons. This helps some with FOW.

But your units know which one is which, and they will prioritise their targets on the basis of that knowledge.

So it is rather unrealistic that you as commander refuse the knowledge of your subordinates.

Unfortunately, it does the same thing to your own unit icons.

You could split them into two sets, one for red and one for blue, then you can use the one that only applies to the enemy.