Changing the colour of the CMBN battlefield

In the mod Invasion 44 for ARMA 2 they use a device called a saturation filter to change the overall look of everything visual in the mission, this had the wierd effect of making it look more realistic by "washing out" the colour.

After comparing it with the look of the mod without the filter i must admit i preferred the filtered version, i think the reason why i prefer the filtered version is because it looks more like the colour film from WW2 compared with the colour you get in movies, one notable exception is Saving Private Ryan where i believe Speilberg did a similar wash out effect for the reason i have mentioned above.

Is there any software that could do this too a monitor screen or would it take a terrain mod for CMBN to achieve the same effect ?

Below are two links to youtube videos of the Invasion 44 mod for ARMA2, one unfiltered the other filtered, what does the rest of the community think of this effect ?

- unfiltered

- filtered

There was a looooong debate over just this topic, whether to do their best to match the real world or to match the 'Saving Private Ryan'-style *movie universe*. They came down on the side of the real world. The goal is to place you in Normandy 1944, not in a movie about Normandy 1944.

There's another issue too. Tastes in movie effects can become very dated very quickly. Just by looking at the cinematography you can tell a 1960s movie from a 1970s movie from a 1980s movie. What's the chance three years from now people are going to roll their eyes over that absurd dated washed-out high contrast look?

There was a looooong debate over just this topic, whether to do their best to match the real world or to match the 'Saving Private Ryan'-style *movie universe*. They came down on the side of the real world. The goal is to place you in Normandy 1944, not in a movie about Normandy 1944.

There's another issue too. Tastes in movie effects can become very dated very quickly. Just by looking at the cinematography you can tell a 1960s movie from a 1970s movie from a 1980s movie. What's the chance three years from now people are going to roll their eyes over that absurd dated washed-out high contrast look?

I agree with what you say and at least by giving it a real world colour scheme you have satisfied both parties as i can now get a "Private Ryan" look by changing the settings on my video card :)

Just by looking at the cinematography you can tell a 1960s movie from a 1970s movie from a 1980s movie. What's the chance three years from now people are going to roll their eyes over that absurd dated washed-out high contrast look?

Do you think that when most people watch 60's and 70's movies they are thinking "What poor quality film?" :) in fact i would argue that the dated "look" of films enhances the aesthetic experience as it augments the milieu as much as the actors and the clothes.......would Dirty Harry be "improved" if it was cleaned up to look like it had been filmed in 2011 ?

I tried changing the settings on my NVIDIA card from

Brightness - +50 % to +37 %

Digital Brightness - +50% to +23%

Contrast - +50% to +0%

Gamma - +1.00 to ditto

Hue - +0 degrees to ditto

This has worked fine :)

Very cool. I gotta try that one of these days. Thanks.

The phrase "one of these days" was bit misleading then ;)

Well, considering my to-do list not really. I probably won't be able to try it for quite some time. But I *could*. :)

Do you think that when most people watch 60's and 70's movies they are thinking "What poor quality film?" :) in fact i would argue that the dated "look" of films enhances the aesthetic experience as it augments the milieu as much as the actors and the clothes.......would Dirty Harry be "improved" if it was cleaned up to look like it had been filmed in 2011 ?

I love all things in Technicolor.

Is there any software that could [change the colour saturation] or would it take a terrain mod for CMBN to achieve the same effect ?

You could try Powerstrip

With Powerstrip you can set up a colour profile and associate it with an application so that Powerstrip automatically loads the colour profile with when the application's exe file is executed.

I think the issue with artistic representations of reality is that colour and lighting affects the mood. It is similar to the way music is used in movies to create an emotional response.

Well, considering my to-do list not really. I probably won't be able to try it for quite some time. But I *could*. :)

Hey, those Video card sliders are really easy to move you know, i tried it and even a wimp like me managed it in seconds :P

Changing the saturation levels in Photoshop (or any graphics editing software) would do the trick if you want a less colorful look to the game. I'm pretty certain the mod squads will be working on the graphic aspects of the game as soon as they/we are done with the download.

Changing the saturation levels in Photoshop (or any graphics editing software) would do the trick if you want a less colorful look to the game. I'm pretty certain the mod squads will be working on the graphic aspects of the game as soon as they/we are done with the download.

I did it by changing the settings on my NVIDIA GFX card.

I posted the settings i used on this thread.