Question About CM Battle for Normandy

Having played all the previous WW II Combat Mission games I am thinking of pre-ordering CM The Battle for Normandy. I see that I get a CD but it mentions something about being able to download it the day it becomes available. I also see something about the download expiring in 365 days. Please clarify what this means to a purchaser of the version where there is a CD. Would I have to reinstall the game a year from now using the CD? Is there another charge a year from now for the game? Thanks.

Downloads are just that - downloads. This has nothing to do with your license key or game that you purchased. There is no charge after 365 days, the key you purchased does not expire.

We are not forcing you to be online to play or download anything to play.

If you pre-order (or if you order "Mail delivery" or "Download&Mail Delivery" after release), then you get the CD, and therefore can re-install from CD at any time, even if your download period expired.

The download period is just for convenience. We recommend strongly that users (who do not buy the physical goods) make a backup of the setup file they download (e.g. burn to disc, thumb drive, or even upload to an online storage website ;)). That way really you do not ever need to download more than once anyway.

Martin

The user specific link they give you to download the game will only remain active for 1 year or 10 downloads, iirc. So it is not like steam where you can re-download ad infinitum.

After that time expires you can still install from the game CD or a backup copy you made from the downloaded file. There will NOT be an additional charge.

There is(was?) however an option to extend the download availability for a modest fee. But that should not really be an issue for a pre-order customer with their DL+mail.

The user specific link they give you to download the game will only remain active for 1 year or 10 downloads, iirc. So it is not like steam where you can re-download ad infinitum.

Somebody still got to explain to me why this should be useful for anybody.

Sounds like hassle for the (l)user and support calls for the developer.

And on top of that you have idiots like me who search left and right for the CMSF in the download areas and don't remember they got a physical package in the first place :D

Somebody still got to explain to me why this should be useful for anybody.

Many companies allow you to download once and that's it. Or you have to pay extra if you want to have "download insurance" or something like that. We decided to give people extended download options free of charge just to be customer friendly.

But bandwidth costs money. Besides the fact that we are vastly smaller than Steam, we are also not a "multiplayer lobby". If we were, we would be having a server farm, and we would be offering unlimited downloads. But we aren't... and the games you buy from us are in no way tied to your download, or require you to be online to play or update some online components etc. Hence, there is no need for us to increase cost (for everyone) by providing such a service.

If you want and prefer downloads over a physical copy, you can upload the setup file you download from us to an online storage website (there are free ones out there), and then you can re-download from there "ad infinitum".

Martin

How can the extra bandwidth for a "forever" download option be significant? How often do you think people bother to reinstall the game more than 12 months after they bought it, and then choose to re-download instead of using a physical copy or an old download? Sure, it's not zero, but significant?

Okay sounds reasonable. I will be purchasing the pre-order version. If I understand correctly, a year from the day I download the game, I can use the CD to reinstall it and then activate the game using the CD key. Any beach scenarios or do all the scenarios involve action inland? I assume that the expansion modules will involve adding the Brits and Canadians.

No don't own CMSF. No interest, plus having been to Syria a number of times I don't like the idea of shooting them. CMBO is the last title I own from BFS that requires the CD.

Anyway, thanks for answering.

Also, I believe there's no beach terrain in the Normandy game, so no scenerioes either.

-F

para, actually, that isn't needed. Your purchase details and key are saved in your online account at www.battlefront.com. You can log in and retrieve them at any time.

Rewolf, your questions seem to be rhetoric in nature to me, so I don't think a response is needed.

Martin

It's a long story, so i won't go into it. It is not as easy and as straightforward as that in every case Moon.