Rage over Lybia

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was going there anyway, so ascribing continued movement as something that has resulted from the UN resolution and attacks seems a bit odd.

Reports today say he has failed to make significant inroads into the city - eg BBc

Still of it are all over the news - who identified it as rebel?

Im jsut posting news I get :)

Ive seen several sources that say the rebels claim the MIG was theirs

'S okay. Normally I wouldn't even have remarked on it, but in this case it is the official designation of a historical event, so to avoid future confusion I thought it best to correct it. I just hope I got it right myself.

:D

Michael

jeje ofcourse!

anyway I think the operation name relates only to US missions, the UK, Canada and France each have different names for the operation. Cant remember them now

Just saw a video of an F-15 that suffered a mechanical failure on the website Stalins Organist linked, it cracked me up the BBC commentator kept repeating that it crash landed - my question is how does a pilot crash land his aircraft after he has ejected?

BBC is not exactly well known for its military expertise, having reported on a US Navy carrier "F-16" being downed before during the Gulf War, as just one memorable example. Of course, the US Navy does not fly F-16s, they are F-18s. Also recall BBC commenting before on a harpoon missile being fired by an aircraft at a radar site..of course, harpoon is an anti-ship missile, not an anti-radiation missile. Usually with "media" outlets, it is a good idea to just get the basics of the story, and realize that in military matters they are clueless on the exact details.

BBC is not exactly well known for its military expertise, having reported on a US Navy carrier "F-16" being downed before during the Gulf War, as just one memorable example. Of course, the US Navy does not fly F-16s, they are F-18s. Also recall BBC commenting before on a harpoon missile being fired by an aircraft at a radar site..of course, harpoon is an anti-ship missile, not an anti-radiation missile. Usually with "media" outlets, it is a good idea to just get the basics of the story, and realize that in military matters they are clueless on the exact details.

On the other hand, they get it right on a lot more occasions than they get it wrong.

Of course not. They are not technical military experts. They are a news outlet. And the news that American aircraft are attacking Tripoli is far more important than the specific model of jet dropping the bombs.

And that was the basic idea of my post.Another member commented on an amusing factual error, and I commented on that.

However, one could also say, that to actually know what you are writing about, could be considered a part of your job, if your job is to write about it.

Actually feel sorry for Obama..of course expect the Republicans to condemn an attack on Libya, but even his side is condemning him for it...they have some good reasons however, as he should have gone to congress to ask permission...but still, feel sorry for the man somewhat. http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/obama-kucinich-randpaul-libya/2011/03/22/id/390339?s=al&promo_code=BEA0-1

It may be different over there, but a lot of the Australian correspondents I have seen covering Libya are.....not in Libya. They're in Tunisia, Malta, Rome, Egypt. Pretty much everywhere BUT Libya. It's no wonder things get mixed up.

Well..to be fair, the whole mid-east pretty much exploded..so send someone to Egypt, then suddenly the next door neighbor goes crazy in Libya...media corporations are quite probably falling over themselves,wondering where to go next.

There are journo's still reporting from Tripoli tho.

As an aside, a couple of news articles from the last 2 days:

Gaddafi is sitting on 143 tons of gold, enough to pay his mercenaries for eyars, and

He's offered shares in Libyan oil to China, Russia & India in the future...... I reckon it wasn't about oil before (with general rapproachment between Libya & the West in the last few years there was no need - indeed the violence seems counterproductive to increasing any control!), but it is now!

NBC's Richard Engel has been broadcasting from inside rebel-held territory in eastern Libya. A recurring theme in his reporting is that the rebels do not appear to be a serious fighting force. He also says there is a foreign fighter with the rebels who goes by the name "Pešadija" that has been trying to convince them they can win by rushing around the edge of the battlefield in Jeeps.

I reckon it wasn't about oil before (with general rapproachment between Libya & the West in the last few years there was no need -

There was a need to get rid of Gadaffi to maintain capitalist style access to the oil. For the last two or three years he has been threatening to nationalise the oil assets again and he has form for that.

NBC's Richard Engel has been broadcasting from inside rebel-held territory in eastern Libya. A recurring theme in his reporting is that the rebels do not appear to be a serious fighting force. He also says there is a foreign fighter with the rebels who goes by the name "Pešadija" that has been trying to convince them they can win by rushing around the edge of the battlefield in Jeeps.

Haha...I must be tired...I read this, and thought.."wow,another person with that name..."

Ok, I get it now :)

There was a need to get rid of Gadaffi to maintain capitalist style access to the oil. For the last two or three years he has been threatening to nationalise the oil assets again and he has form for that.

Aff..I hope you do not believe this..maybe I really am tired..but if I recall, you were one of the ones in favor of stepping in, so I hope you are not now finding other reasons for the intervention. And if so, France and UK, who seem in general to be 'leading' this action would not make a good team in a fight for oil...apparently there was a deal done to free the "Lockerbie bomber" from Scottish prison, in exchange for oil rights,etc, anyway...Britain would then already have gotten their "oil" and would thus be likely to be hurt, were another power to take over in Libya.

Anyway..sorry for rambling...60 hours with no sleep and a sick baby ..