Randomly Generated Maps

From Michael Emrys: "That said, I am assuming in CMx2 that non-random maps DOES NOT equate with canned scenarios. Once again, I am expecting that the AI can, if allowed, choose its own forces and placement for them. So each engagement, even if played on the same map, can be unique. If I am incorrect, I hope someone with definite information will correct me."

The answer is yes on both counts.

James Crowley: "I tended to do the opposite and have the AI pick for both sides, thus forcing me to 'make do' with what I had to hand, against an 'unknown' opponent."

You, sir, will be in for some fun. It's the way I test the QB Maps.

Hello, I know this reply really is not on the QB maps, but more on the AI, and its ability to manuever. In the CMx1 series and sometimes in BFSF.. I noticed the AI sort of funneling its units right to its directives or Mission Goals. So I guess my question is when the AI places its units and manuevers will they be a little bit more effective.. then coming at you enmass etc.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...So I guess my question is when the AI places its units and manuevers will they be a little bit more effective.. then coming at you enmass etc.

What I can tell you is this: Testing indicates so. Certain improvements in AI Pathing allows the AI more flexibilty in both attack and Defend Mission.

I'm coming into this thread late, so much of what needed to be answered has already been. But just to back up a bit and retell the tale of why we do not have randomly generated maps for CMx2.

CMx1 had a random map generator where it only had to deal with 20x20m sections of terrain. The possible choices for terrain were VASTLY smaller in terms of both unique types and combinations of those types. And CMx1's generator produced a fair number of "turds". We felt the amount of time spent making even a crappy random map generator for CMx2 was not worth the effort. After all, if it produced turds as a rule rather than an exception, how useful would that be to QB players? Therefore, our limited development resources are better spent pretty much anywhere else. Which is why...

We will never, ever have a random map generator for CMx2.

What we eventually wanted to have, but are increasingly doubting the need for (thanks in particular to MarkEzra's work!), is what I've been calling the Mega Tile system. Map makers construct uniform sized slices of a map, oh... say 24x24m, and the game logically (but still with randomness) assembles them to form a larger map to play on. This is most closely akin to various board games, like Settlers or ASL for example, but not so much like Panzer Leader (which had much bigger component board pieces).

The Mega Tile system will not be easy to implement and still requires people making pieces for CM to work with. It also requires a more dynamic AI, assignment of Victory Conditions, and probably some other stuff. Make no mistake about it... doing Mega Tiles will be so consuming a feature to add that we probably won't add anything else of significance to that particular major release (Modules NEVER get this sort of feature).

Which is why we are doubting that Mega Tiles is a good way to go.

Instead we're thinking our time is better spent on implementing things like improved map making UI, an expanded set of AI Scripts to work with, and some "big bang for the buck" twists on the current hand made map system. An example of the latter is the ability for CM to randomly orientate the map so that you aren't always starting off on the same side. Another would be to "flip" the map on one axis, so that East to West everything is in the same order, but North to South everything is opposite. These features would completely alter the tactical nature of play on that map without any work from map makers. BUT... to do this we have to do some of the other things first, such as dynamically placed Victory Conditions and more dynamic AI Scripting.

As with everything any in a CM game, any one particular feature can be improved. In the case of QB Maps there are a number of different things we can improve over time without crushing our ability to make improvements elsewhere. And that's why we're leaning away from the Mega Tile concept.

Until these changes are made, however, QBs are already super fun and the map quality vastly superior to CMx1's random map generator. And to that we have to tip or hats to MarkEzra. QB map maker supreme :)

Steve

"improved map making UI"

This would be really good, Steve. Making CMSF maps is certainly a chore... a happy chore, but a chore nonetheless.

I agree, I actually love taking the time to make a realistic and worthwhile map... even if its just for me. LOL

I hope that option never goes away that we cannot make our own maps, etc.