Northern California CM:BN Preview

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, Oakland. I used to get off the BART at Fruitvale and make my way by bus up High Street towards my (rented) house in the crook of the 580 and 13. It was right at San Carlos that the bullet smashed into the bus window 3 rows in front of me at around 6:30pm one evening. No one hurt just a real scare. Ah, such fond memories. (Actually Oakland isn't that bad. But there are a few parts like any major city ... shudder.)

Phil,

do you know the best place to park. Not sure if I'm going to drive or take BART. There are three of us so BART starts to add up.

The Marriott, as I understand it, has valet parking for $20 a day, off-site parking for $24. There are smaller lots nearby that offer slightly cheaper rates. There is usually quite a bit of street parking, but it is metered with a two-hour limit. If you don't mind running out to feed a meter every couple hours that's your cheapest bet. If there are a lot of us in metered parking we can make a jaunt of it. The best metered parking is right across from some great places to eat and of course a war game store. :)

I'll personally probably use a nearby lot or take BART. BART is *very* convenient to the hotel - one of the exits of the 12th Street station is right across the street from it.

The last riots were by out of towners in relation to a shooting. We're to lazy to riot over the Raiders nowadays. ;)

The best metered parking is right across from some great places to eat and of course a war game store.
Indeed... I've been having a nasty board game itch lately and I'm half tempted to go to Endgame as well to see about scratching it. Great location for a get together if you ask me. :cool:

For anyone who may come late - after the greeters have been drawn in to smash each other with tanks - we are in Salon A.

Also! A note. Part of the reason I was able to afford a conference room where we could blow each other up in privacy (and discuss German tank production in relation to Hitler without being given funny looks) was I declined the catering service. (You don't want to know how much that was, but let's just say it was as much as the room rental.)

If you don't take the catering service you can't eat in the room. They probably won't kill us for bringing individual drinks and little things in, but we won't have a buffet table covered in snacks. We will likely take a break about halfway through to get out and stretch our legs, we can grab food then. (Edit: and of course you can come and go as you please if you're feeling peckish.)

If you've got any serious health needs related to food please feel free to bring whatever you'd normally bring to a long meeting.

Throw the cooler in a backpack and it'll probably be fine. We'll have to play it by ear. I'll bring a soda and chips in with me initially. If they really seem to care we'll have to snack outside. It'll help to have snacks at hand either way, though. Thanks, guys.

Hopefully we'll start new threads for after-action reports. Until then people can post here as much as they want. :) Although if you've still got questions at this point it's best to PM or email me!

If you're coming and haven't looked yet, please be sure to check my posts on the last couple pages for details regarding food and location.

Lost like, a dozen Shermans to one cornered Panther, for the win.

In any case--my impressions? Looking good all around; bocage is a totally new element and I think it's great, vehicles looking nice and shiny, etc. one thing that stuck out to me (in the limited space of combat that actually occurred) was the way combat played out. It's completely different playing CMX2 in WWII, and I felt realism when I watched stuff play out, almost like actually seeing the combat you fantasized about in CMBO. It was really fun and felt distinctly different from CMSF. I'm a buyer now for sure, if I wasn't already.

I'm very satisfied with the product I saw, and it's only going to get better as progress on the game continues.

I'll post more later, I'm in a rush and just wanted to kick off more feedback :D

Ah, HF you beat me here to it. What a successful preview, kudos to Phil and Normal Dude for hosting.

Like a first kiss, I will always remember when my pak 40 put that front turret hit on your Sherm for a knockout...I'm sure you only ran it in there because we were pressed for time. ;)

It was quite amazing how many US tanks you lost to that one Panther.

As I think there will be another thread opening for the AAR, that's all I'll mention for now!

I'll have more to say later, but a few comments off the top of my head. As all the screen shots show, the graphics are great, the movement the troops and the vehicles is very impressive. The terrain is excellent. I was watching a battle, and I realized that there was a telephone pole in the view. It was so realistic, that it took me a second to think: "Wow, you don't see that kind of detail in games." Very cool.

Phil was an awesome host getting us a room at the Marriott so we could preview. Thanks Phil! It would be fun to set up a quarterly thing where we could set up several tcp/ip games going at once and battle it out! Maybe once the game comes out we can do that and give feedback to BFC?

The new interface will take some getting used to. I'm still trying to figure out why move is N and Fast is B and why when I pressed M the tank went into reverse. I sure liked having M for move and F for Fast in CMX1 certainly more intuitive.

But, the game was fun and it will certainly be on my birthday list (which is in August, so you guys have to release before then or I'll have to wait for Christmas!)

Very cool watching the 14 inch naval fire taking out buildings and a truck getting destroyed by a Sherman.

Enough for now, more later.

Jet

Glad you had fun and that nobody got mugged going in. Since not all of you have reported in yet I've got my fingers crossed nobody got mugged leaving :D

Note that hotkeys are user modifiable. Not only in terms of which keys do what, but whether the keys are constant or relative. For those of you who are familiar with CM:SF, CM:BN will use a slightly modified version of OtherMeans' excellent hotkeys mod as the default.

And yeah... with the size of this preview I think a new thread should start up. In fact, I'll start it.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=95149

Steve

Well, I got mugged, but I was mugged by CMBN... I've got no details for anyone about the game because I was sitting there, a slack-jawed fool drooling down my shirt, wallowing in joy while watching my fellow attendees play CMBN.

We had a chance to ask Steve some questions and no one could snap out of the hypnotic spell we were under to ask even one.

A big thanks to Phil and Normal Dude (who really seems like a normal dude) for putting the time and effort to put this on, and to Steve for making himself available for questions that never came (raincheck???).

I really wish I could recall something other than general euphoria but I can't. My lasting impression is that almost everyone will be happy with this game.

Oh, as has been said in other threads, the QB system is Brilliant.