So any Thanksgiving treats coming from BFC?

I would like to give thanks to the BF folks for not just NATO but the afghanistan module for me to play on my holiday off!

I agree. Thank you BF for just existing and producing these types of games for the computer. We've come a long way from the old Avalon Hill board games I used to play as a kid and because of you guys, now get to play in wonderful 3D...and I don't even have to shake the dice anymore!:)

The golden age of Avalon Hill board games. I am now living in Indonesia but last night, I dreamt that I found a store that sold wargames and I was really excited, running around trying to find the name of the street so that I could come back when the shop was open. Through the window, I could see some old AH classics, including the ASL Rule set. I have never had that kind of feeling from a computer game, EVER. CM is very, very good indeed, but has yet to top the ASL experience for me. I miss those days badly sometimes as that dream last night suggests. Buying wargames was a hobby in itself, playing them another.

I miss those days badly sometimes as that dream last night suggests. Buying wargames was a hobby in itself, playing them another.

I think you have a point. I doubt I could ever go back to playing paper games for a number of reasons, but truly there was a magic to them I don't seem to experience any more. Maybe it's just me. But even just the memory of those times is intoxicating.

Michael

Re cardboard wargames, I remember when computer games got interesting about 20 years ago, how I changed from a wargame player to a collector. I still have over a hundred brand new unpunched games from those days. Stopped religiously buying em maybe 10 years ago.

But, every year or so I still check out www.boardgamegeek.com and then buy the very best top-rated wargames. (Which are still sitting around here unpunched someplace.)

I agree. Thank you BF for just existing and producing these types of games for the computer. We've come a long way from the old Avalon Hill board games I used to play as a kid and because of you guys, now get to play in wonderful 3D...and I don't even have to shake the dice anymore!:)

Still amazes me still guys my age can't seem to let go of board wargames. Funny I mean unless I'm out camping in a forest with no wifi is the only time I will play an Avalon hill game. I still think the over 40 crowd still don't understand there are alternatives like BF. Oh well their loss I guess.

The golden age of Avalon Hill board games. I am now living in Indonesia but last night, I dreamt that I found a store that sold wargames and I was really excited, running around trying to find the name of the street so that I could come back when the shop was open. Through the window, I could see some old AH classics, including the ASL Rule set. I have never had that kind of feeling from a computer game, EVER. CM is very, very good indeed, but has yet to top the ASL experience for me. I miss those days badly sometimes as that dream last night suggests. Buying wargames was a hobby in itself, playing them another.

Hey you have my milk cartons full of ASL binders. You had to spend 300 hours just to understand the game. CMSF 30 minutes and your almost a pro ;)

There were a couple of advantages with boardgames that are at present missing with computer games. With boardgames, if you felt that the designer misinterpreted the historical situation in some way, you could home brew your own rules to correct the situation. If you felt he got the terrain wrong, you could alter the map. With a computer game, unless you are an expert hacker you are stuck with whatever the designer gives you.

Michael

The irony is that I would take a sherman over an abrams anyday in a CM:SF scenario. The reason is that the abrams has very few rounds for that beefy gun and fires so fast that you loose half your main gun rounds taking down a single sniper.

I miss my vanilla infantry with vanilla shermans. Ah the days of Short 75 rules . . .

Still amazes me still guys my age can't seem to let go of board wargames. Funny I mean unless I'm out camping in a forest with no wifi is the only time I will play an Avalon hill game. I still think the over 40 crowd still don't understand there are alternatives like BF. Oh well their loss I guess.

LOL I was just trying to convince my wife 2 minutes ago to let me get rid of my collection. I can't stand the hobby aspect of it, but rolling dice is a ton of fun. I am so glad I didn't get into Flames of War like I was about to before my break from TT a year or so ago.

Anyone wants into Games Workshop TT, I'm your man till I find someone with $1k and want everything I have =)

The irony is that I would take a sherman over an abrams anyday in a CM:SF scenario. The reason is that the abrams has very few rounds for that beefy gun and fires so fast that you loose half your main gun rounds taking down a single sniper.

I miss my vanilla infantry with vanilla shermans. Ah the days of Short 75 rules . . .

The difference is that most of that ammo in Sherman will eventually miss their target :P

In a word, no, unless they put in the QB update. But that's already been confirmed as never will happen. They've been working on CMSF now for over three years now, post-launch. Time to move on IMO. Besides, we got the Western Front family and then the Eastern Front family after that.

Bottom line, I think they/we have bigger fish to fry.

why have you posted the same message 3 times so far? :P