Finally, should I buy it?

I may get beat up for saying this on the BO board, but I would not buy it if you already have BB and AK. Two reasons:

1. BB and AK are pretty advanced in terms of modeling, more so than people realise I think. BO has a simpler FO targeting method, MGs are terribly undermodeled and infantry morale overmodeled. There is no morale model for vehicles. The stock graphics are pretty weak and you'll need a ton of mods to get up to the graphical level of AK. Overall, a ton of stuff was 'fixed' in the later releases.

2. 95% of what is in BO can be recreated in AK. Everything but Pershings and King Tigers is available in AK. Hell, there's even a bocage hedge if you like Normandy. You may have to play with the dates a little, but you can set up Battle of the Bulge scenarios all day.

That's my take, but in the interest of fairness...

CMBO is widely regarded as being more 'fun' than the others. Weak MGs, super infantry and more trees mean that you spend far less time scraping your broken conscripts up off the floor and throwing them across yet another expanse of open steppe to be slaughtered. Also, many of the scenarios are absolute classics. Depending on your personal disposable income, you might get your money's worth on them alone.

I have the three CM,s and i Wouldnt sell them. At this moment only there are three games, man, buy it, because althoguh is true you will need to download a lot of mods, you will be able to find all together in combatmission.com

Moreover, CMAK is pretty but isnt true you can simulate western front with it. You wont be able to purchase King Tigers or Pershings, or Sherman Jumbo, etc. German uniforms are different, Allied uniforms are different true.... I would buy it. I enjoyed selecting the best mods to substitute the originals. BUY IT!!

The gameplay in CM:BO is vastly inferior to CM:AK.

Tank hits are always one shot, one kill (or not) - no partial penetrations

Tank crews bail out immediately - no unconfirmed kills.

MGs are woefully inadequate - fire only on one unit at a time

Infantry super-heroic, coupled with the above, makes attacking a breeze

Burden of attack is not realistically represented in CMBO, in fact, I always preferred to play as the attack in QBs because the defender rarely stood a chance. In CMAK this has been addressed nicely.

If you want KT, Jumbo Sherman, M26, I'd recommend waiting for the engine rewrite, as you WILL be disappointed with CM:BO.

There will be plenty of NW Europe mods you can use; in fact, they already exist for CM:B0 (and CM:BB) and I believe most of the uniform mods can be ported from one game to the next without fiddling with them (except for changing the bmp numbers where applicable). Terrain mods for earlier versions can be ported over without problem, also, so graphically, there is no reason to buy CM:BO just for the uniforms - you can have it all in CM:AK.

Alexei...BUY IT. It won turn-based computer game of the year for wargames. That alone should tell you. YES, it's not perfect and CMBB and CMAK are technically more realistic, BUT....it won a game of the year award and enthralled most of us long enough (and some of us still) to play it for a long time. I have them all and they are ALL great. Personally, CMBB is the best, but at any rate, each one SHOULD be an improvement over the previous if the company is worth anything (and Battlefront is). So, don't worry about the technical shortfalls, both sides have to deal with them and I don't think they are so noticeable that you can't greatly enjoy this game. Get it!

It's a must have if you enjoy the other games. Why? because it shows how the CM games evolved and got better with every addition. It is also better then any other tactical wargame you can buy.

Look for the "Special Edition" CMBO by CDV because you get the updated terrain and sound graphics plus a ton of mods on the CD. ;)

No question, CMBO is a great game, and in some respects it may have some "game" advantages provided by the rather robust infantry model. (Read: infantry can get away with an awful lot they would be punished for in the other versions.)

But beyond the graphics improvements, the real reason I don't play CMBO any more is that with fewer commands and a slightly different play style, I'm afraid of picking up "bad habits." My fear is that I will become accustomed to doing things "the CMBO way," and get clobbered when playing CMBB or CMAK games online. So, I pretty much stick to those two.

That's my two cents.

Buy it!!

It's a classic.

Going back and forth between the Mk I, Mk II, and Mk III versions of CM, CMBO stands out. With just a little modding, it's aesthetics almost seem crisper and purer than the high flying details of BB and AK.

Call it quaint, call it simple, call it lacking, however you qualify it, it was a pioneer and it is a classic. If only Microsoft would stop cramming new machines down my throat, I could dream of introducing my kid to CMBO someday, years down the road.

Originally posted by Alexei:

I will follow the consensus and I will buy it smile.gif . I will also not forget to mod it, although I guess I have to wait to have a DSL connection :rolleyes: ...

Not really, I downloaded virtually all my CMBO mods via dial-up and while some of the terrain and sky mods are largish, they're nothing compared to the 100mb of patches for CMBB (CDV version), just don't try to d/l everything at once.

Originally posted by Alexei:

Hi all,

I bought CMBB, I loved it and then I bought CMAK just after its release. Now I am just wondering if I have to buy CMBO as well... :confused:

Is CMBO technically that inferior to CMBB & CMAK? Will I be disappointed? What do you think??

Thanks !!

EVEN THOUGH THE GRAPHICS AREN'T GOOD, ITS ALL THE GAME PLAY. I would buy it again no doubt. There are lot of great mods & skins for this game.