New Walkthroughs for Nato Module

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The videos are going to come out slower because:

1. I don't have enough hard-drive space to record missions longer than an hour on 1080p - so I have to do a juggling act to get a new movie out as I have just discovered with mission #2. I could use a dedicated 500 gb or 1 tb drive for the movies but i'm broke, so this will have to do.

2. I am new to 1080p recording, and it causes some issues. For instance when I try to playback 20-30 gb avi files locally, it stutters, which causes problems for syncing up the commentary with the video.

3. Windows Movie Maker live works fine for 30-35 minute videos, but will cause errors and not complete encoding for any bigger. I think it has something to do with the huge file sizes involved. I haven't found a good alternative. Accordingly the videos are multi-part now and causes additional annoying delays with syncing commentary, which I am pretty dissapointed about.

Ultimately i'm not sure if the new quality is worth the effort. What do you guys think?

So I am now using Adobe Premiere and planning out my videos before recording them to manage hard drive space and time. Hopefully video quality will actually INCREASE for the next video and all the kinks will be worked out.

I also could theoretically make single part videos again - although hard-drive space is restrictive.

Thanks for the input guys.

Questions:

Why did you stop with the Brit Video walkthroughs? Besides just enjoying watching you play, I use your videos to market the game to my friends.

Do you play without pause normally? Reason I ask is, I know without pause you can't spend a lot of time issuing careful orders to keep a handle on the battle. The more the game is paused, the better orders and attention I can spend on each unit WEGO>RT With Pause>RT w/o Pause.

Also just wanted to say I think you do a fantastic job on commentary. On one video you had said all you needed to about the battle and let the action play out, which was the only time I was disappointed when watching any of the battles (haven't watched them all). The ball game is always more interesting when you have good commentators, sort of the same concept here. I urge ya to keep talking throughout.

I agree about the resolution. 720 is the way to go.

This videos are great because they show the real deal. I like the fact that you are recording while playing it for the first time also, because we can see your reactions to things that happen and not some sort of "scripted" reaction.

I had played this mission myself so I just jumped to some places where I had trouble to see how you dealt with things. :)

-

One thing I noticed about the way you play vs. myself (self-criticism coming up).....

You seem to dawdle toward the beginnings of scenarios when you are really just setting yourself up for a much more aggressive movement in the near future. My biggest problem is that I also tend to dawdle at the beginning and then.....continue to dawdle throughout the remainder of the scenario. Seriously, running out of time is still my number one hurdle that I need to overcome. I tend to get wrapped up in what a couple of squads or a couple of vehicles are doing instead of looking at the big picture.

I also tend to leave large groups of reinforcements sitting at their staging points once they've entered the playing field. I too often try to push the whole objective with just the initial vanguard I was given at the beginning of the game. And when that doesn't work I lean too heavily on any artillery or air assets that I have available.

I still don't know what makes me tend do that.

try planning out the whole operation before you start, taking into accound your reinforcements and the time they will take to arrive,

for example, "I have 1st and 2nd platoon with me now, with 3rd + air support on reinforcements, ok i will atack objective 1 with these 2 platoons, then use 3rd as a reserve to attack objective 2 with support from the air" or something along those lines :) it helped me with that situation

Thanks for doing these. They are a bit difficult to watch because the audio is not in sync with the video. Still nice to see, however. :)

Cheers,

Gpig

I hope you mean the commentary? The game audio itself is synced up.

Mission #2 and beyond will not have that issue.

Speaking of which, part 1 of mission 2 is up now:

re: Waaarg

About the brit videos - yeah, I basically gave up on recording them, because professional duties got in the way. I have a limited amount of free time and right now i'd rather record the newer NATO than the brit. I might get around to doing the brit eventually. I have a lot of time between grad school semesters.

Cool vids!

I also have the same problem with not correctly integrating reinforcements into my planning. I get myself totally invested as if I don't have reinforcements, then they pop up and one of two things happens:

1. I under utilize them because my initial force (plus some early reinforcements, perhaps) is mostly doing what needs to be done. So I concentrate on those units and the newly arrived ones go into support mode.

2. I rush the reserves in hodge-podge fashion because my initial forces are getting their assed kicked because they took on too much of the battle on their own.

The difference between #1 and #2 can be quite slim. Quite slim indeed! I really do need to do better about how I'm going to use the reinforcements before the battle starts.

Steve

I hope you mean the commentary? The game audio itself is synced up.

Yes this is quite frustrating. Your first vid is about two whole minutes out in the commentary vs the action. I think the second is about 30 seconds out.

It's frustrating because it takes a while to realise that the events on the screen are not the same being talked about. Also because I really wanted to see your excellent work as you intended.

Just a quick question: I noticed that some of your sounds were (atleast appeared to be) different from what I had - specifically the arty explosions and tank fire. Is this something that you modded, or was it just the recording process?

Also, I noticed some of your symbols were different (C2 instead of the HQ flag). Again, is this a mod?

Great videos by the way. Fun to watch how someone else plays.

Chad

Mission 3 part 2:

re: mods

I use AKD sound mod. The icons are from Modified Nato Floating Icons. Ideally all the icons would be replaced with NATO icons, but the mod hasn't been updated for NATO yet. If the mod creator is MIA I might do it myself, because I really like the icons, makes it easier to play.