The weapons of the french ground army

Ignore some of the grumpier contributors, Matias. I like the quick overview. Some neat stuff, in particular the armoured cars. MGS crews, eat your heart out!

Only yesterday I was looking at an overview of the Belgian gear. Those guys need to make up their mind as to whether they want to keep their army or give up on that hobby.

On the FAMAS, yeah, can't really love the look either. A bit too plain simple and cheap looking. Whereas I like the look of the British L85 a lot. It looks industrial, like it means business.

I wonder if this is some sort of fan boy-ism... ;-/

Char lines stealth,

? Where?!

and a particularly innovative engine (turbocharged V8 coupled to a gas turbine) which makes it very swift and enables acceleration from 0 to 32 mph in 5 seconds.

This engine from pure mechanical point of view is good design, comparabale with other modern tank engines or rather power packs.

But how designers do it is madness, the initial problems with this tank was horrible (some people was wounded in cases of engine and turret failures), in normal situation program should be closed, but French national proud prevent this.

Its armament consists of a 120 mm gun firing 52 caliber

Gun is CN-120-26/L52 120mm smoothbore gun, the gun barrel is 52 callibers long, not firing 52 calliber rounds... jeez!

rounds called "boom" or "shaped charge"

Oh god, I wonder what crappy source You used...

There is used 120mm APFSDS round designated OFL120F1 and it penetrates 590mm at 2km, penetrator is made from WHA, it got some commonality with German DM43 APFSDS... not really modern ammo, it is level of late 80's and early 90's. There was also designed OFL120F2 with penetrator made from DU alloy, penetrator level is 647mm at 2km, so nothing really special.

HEAT-MP-T ammo is designated IRCC OECC120F1.

Good vehicle, but with many weakness like fuel in crew and ammo compartment (one fuell cell is behind or somewhere near drivers position, second is in hull ammo magazine), fuel is good armor addition where it is compertalized and izolated by armored bulkheads, not when it is in crew compartment... armor protection is also full of ballistic holes, near gun mask and almost to the position of gunners primary sight and CITV LOS thickness is ~650-700mm, then it goes to almost ~1000mm (thanks to armor angle, it's phisical thickness is smaller) and again less, sorry I can't find graphic diagram.

Well at least again I killed some fan boy BS. ;-P

Who knows, maybe a 3rd party developer will want to make a French module for CMSF. I don't see any harm in this thread, but then I'm not one of the guys who runs this forum either...

It's possible that can happen since the British sold well and if NATO sells well too someone could take an interest. However in my opinion we're more likely to see the French in CMSF II if at all.

Aww that's harsh AKD. I know it isn't entirely relevant, but I'm quite enjoying the pics and his obvious knowledge of the subject.

Sorry, but the photos and info are totally irrelevant to the forum. There is a General Discussion forum a mere mouse scroll away.

I originally asked him in another thread how hard it would be to approximate a French chasseur regiment or Etranger force by mixing and matching the kit of the other armies. I very much like the info he's giving and find it entirely relevant to the game. If you don't like it, read another bloody thread.

LGI

The LGI individual grenade launcher Mle F1 is the weapon for short distance support of infantry battle group. Designed to perform fire neutralization of personal destruction of materials, and blindness of illumination, day and night , it is a curve firing weapon.

838095777_small.jpg

MILAN

The missile MILAN (M Issil of I nfanterie L Eger ntichar N atoms) is a craft guidance system semi-automatic wire-guided. MILAN is guided by infrared and can be used day or night.

MILAN was designed to be easily upgraded to follow the evolution of armor tanks.

Man-portable, it can be pulled on shore or from a vehicle with occasional support. It is not possible to shoot in confined spaces.

Weight of the shooting: 16.4 kg.

Weight of all weapons station: approximately 28kg.

Rate of fire: 2 to 3shot/min.

Caliber: 115mm

perforation:

600mm of armor.

Travel time:

7 seconds to 1 000m.

12 seconds at 1900m.

Milan-Lance-missile-2.jpg

Miean-Missile-3.gif

LRM

Multiple rocket launcher (LRM) has a capacity of firing 12 rockets at 32 km in less than 1 minute. It is equipped with an Earth browser onboard computer to determine the elements of fire. Her crew is composed of 3 staff.

Chassis BRADLEY (U.S.) L: 7 m

Width: 3 m

Height: 2.6 m

Weight: 25 tons in combat order

titre%20LRM.JPG

120mm Mortar

Striped towed mortar 120 mm Mle F1 is a heavy weapon to vertical fire . This mortar is served by a gun crew of 6 men, can be towed by any vehicle equipped with a swiveling trailer hitch. The shooting in automatic or percussion, are performed exclusively on the roller train.

mortier-de-120-mm-du-3e-rama-lors-de-l-exercice-international-gulf-shield-aux-eau.jpg

CAESAR

CAESAR is a self-propelled gun wheeled road gauge, carrying his gun crew as well as 16 complete rounds. Mercedes Unimog chassis is of great agility. It has an automatic scoring, a radar device, terminal ATLAS. His tube 155mm and his room is to NATO standards.

photo-8-tir-du-canon-caesar.jpg

155mm gun TRF1

155mm gun designed to equip artillery regiments of infantry divisions. It may still move in self-mobility with its powertrain (8km / h). Automatic hydraulic loading for 3 shots.

Range: 24km (explosive shells).

Range: 30km (extended range munition).

Minimum range: 2500m for a shot at 200m).

3 shots in 15 seconds

6 shots / 1 min.

Getting battery: <5 min.

canon-155-trf1-01.jpg

155mm gun AUF1

155mm gun designed to equip artillery regiments of armored divisions, mounted on chassis AMX30 (8 per battery).

ARMEMENT:

12.7 machinegun on circular (anti-aircraft fire and earth).

PERFORMANCE:

Range: 23.5 km (normal ammo).

Range: 28km (extended range munition, PSTN).

mise-en-batterie-de-155-auf1-au-liban-sous-mandat-finul.jpg

MISTRAL

The Mistral is a system of air defense weapon at very short range to complement the ground-air coverage of the armored and mechanized. It ensures their own isolated units flak.

Its objectives are planes flying up to Mach 1.2 between 10m and 3000m and helicopters moving or hovering. The MISTRAL is used coupled to the radar warning SAMANTHA which allows the detection of aircraft up to 15 km.

ERFORMANCE:

Maximum speed: Mach 2.6.

Maximum range: 6000m.

Minimum range: 500m.

Reaction time: 5 seconds without pre-warning (1st shot).

Reaction time: 3 seconds on Early Warning (radar).

Reload: 30 seconds.

Mistral_SATCP_France_001.jpg