Map compatibility CMSF - CMA

I have CMSF + all modules and pre-ordered NATO. I have also CMA. I like them all. There are tons of maps for CMSF family at the moment. Some better, some worse... but tons!!! NOT so much for CMA. At the moment it's not possible to use maps from CMSF in CMA...

Can it be changed somehow? What we need is to have the possibility to load map from another game or to use some converter to do it, because CMA will suffer from it. It will be enough when only map and AI instruction will be compatible, forces can be done manually...

What do you think? Is it possible to do?

I highly doubt its possible even in theory. How many dffering parameter would have to be reconciled somehow? Leaving asside entirely different terrain and weather and building and vegetation types, even the positions of the stars in the sky would be different. The Normandy game can't handle scenarios set in May. CMSF can't handle scenarios set in August. So if importing maps was doable all you'd be importing is bare terrain contours and perhaps road placement... unless road types have changed too.

I highly doubt its possible even in theory. How many dffering parameter would have to be reconciled somehow? Leaving asside entirely different terrain and weather and building and vegetation types, even the positions of the stars in the sky would be different. The Normandy game can't handle scenarios set in May. CMSF can't handle scenarios set in August. So if importing maps was doable all you'd be importing is bare terrain contours and perhaps road placement... unless road types have changed too.

That's, with all respect, BS. A hill is a hill, a road is a road, a tree is a tree, a house is a house. There is for example no technical difference between the elevation grit or most of the ground tiles. Might be there are a few terrain tiles in CMA that doesn't exist in CMSF, but you could still tranfer the maps between both games by simply leave the questionable content out.

That's, with all respect, BS. A hill is a hill, a road is a road, a tree is a tree, a house is a house. There is for example no technical difference between the elevation grit or most of the ground tiles. Might be there are a few terrain tiles in CMA that doesn't exist in CMSF, but you could still tranfer the maps between both games by simply leave the questionable content out.

For some reason MikeyD mentions CM:N, which is indeed different in some respects.

As for moving maps between CM:SF and CM:A, I think it should be a trivial exercise (but this is what I always think until I am corrected by Steve), but I am sure that interpreting different terrain types can be difficult: What do you translate snow into, e.g., or water?

Best regards,

Thomm

For some reason MikeyD mentions CM:N, which is indeed different in some respects.
He missed the topic title, I guess...

As for moving maps between CM:SF and CM:A, I think it should be a trivial exercise (but this is what I always think until I am corrected by Steve), but I am sure that interpreting different terrain types can be difficult: What do you translate snow into, e.g., or water?

Best regards,

Thomm

The most simple solution would be 'open' terrain.