NATO AT weapons ranges compared

Webwing

Notice that the range info, min and max, can be found on the interface and also in the manual. However, in the heat of the battle one might overlook that. I sure did, while testing NATO, and found myself wondering why the soldiers would not fire their weapons. They were simply out of range, min or max. Since there are lot of new stuff to deal with a few tips are never too much.

So, here is an image showing you the min and max range of the main AT weapons used in the module.

NATOATguide.jpg

In the case of the Germans, the Panzerfaust 3 and the Milan complement each other perfectly. The max range of one is the min range of the other.

Bellow is an image of the game map so you can see the distances in the game.

DistancesinCMSF.jpg

-

Woooo. Thanks for the headsup.

In CM terms the Milan's minimum 400m range is a bit of handicap, from my experience trying to use the AT-3 with minimum range of 500m. Quite frustrating when the scenario gives you some of these toys, and then you find because of the available ranges of the map that you can't use them.

Take note scenario designers!

In CM terms the Milan's minimum 400m range is a bit of handicap, from my experience trying to use the AT-3 with minimum range of 500m. Quite frustrating when the scenario gives you some of these toys, and then you find because of the available ranges of the map that you can't use them.

Take note scenario designers!

Is it just me, or has the average map size of CM:SF scenarios grown rather substantially since the pre-v1.10 days? (I got CM:SF + Marines about the time v1.11 came out.) Big maps may take a few minutes to load, but that's a small price to pay for having a map that doesn't feel a little cramped. Granted, not all scenarios are reinforced-company-sized combined-arms brawls, as well they shouldn't be.

• 1 month later...

[delayed reaction syndrome] Only 600 meters maximum range for the ERYX?!? [/delayed reaction syndrome]

Well, at least the Canadians have a good variety of other AT assets (like the LAV III TUA). And hopefully the ERYX's deploy/pack-up times are rather less than the TOW-2's. =P

And neither the Germans nor the Canadians nor the Dutch have Javelins? I didn't see such listed in the manual supplement.

And neither the Germans nor the Canadians nor the Dutch have Javelins? I didn't see such listed in the manual supplement.

I think equipment not in the manual will probably still make it. For example neither the Germans or Dutch have an 81 mm mortar listed.

Nope, they developed their own(actual, i think its israelian(yes it is, Rafael ADS), the spike: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_%28missile%29

Just had a rush through the manual, the dutch use it ingame.

I think equipment not in the manual will probably still make it. For example neither the Germans or Dutch have an 81 mm mortar listed.

The german army at least doesnt operate 81mm mortars as far as i know. Furthermore, in its newest reorganisation, they are going to scrap even 120mm ones, so that there is no more organic artillery at btl level.

(edited to reply to Sequoia)

[delayed reaction syndrome] Only 600 meters maximum range for the ERYX?!? [/delayed reaction syndrome]

Well, at least the Canadians have a good variety of other AT assets (like the LAV III TUA). And hopefully the ERYX's deploy/pack-up times are rather less than the TOW-2's. =P

This video shows some launches of Eryx, some with tripod and some without, but it doesn't show the tripod setup or how long it takes. Hopefully in the game it takes takes little time to simulate the ability to fire it without the tripod.