Afghan unit models for CMSF??

This may have already been asked (didn't find on a search). But for those of us who don't purchase the Soviet / Astan game coming out..(not that I'm for certain not to, but if I don't).... Will there be any chance of having some of the Astan unit models for us to use in CMSF?

I believe there is a little bit of crossover into the NATO module with some new red vehicles and air support probably getting into the game because they are coded for Afghanistan. But basically if it's not in the unit list for NATO then it will never be in CMSF.

The Afghanistan stuff will only make sense in context anyway, so you might as well buy the game. :)

I would imagine (and I'm probably wrong) that those models belong to Snowball. Any stuff that appears in both NATO and Afghanistan was made specially for NATO by BFC's model designing team and not 'nicked' from Afghanistan.

I'm sure you are correct, but the underlying code for all that stuff is what I was referring to.

Hoolaman and PT are both correct. The stuff in NATO is made by Battlefront, the stuff in Afghanistan is made by Snowball. But that really isn't relevant since we're not blurring the lines between the two games. What is in Afghanistan is there because it is correct for the setting. What is in CM:SF is there because it is correct for it's setting. The two settings are 20+ years apart and in entirely different areas of the world under very different circumstances. So any cross overs between the two (and there are some) are incidental, not purposeful.

Steve

That could probably be modded.

Nah. it doesn't come out real well. Somebody, RommL maybe, did a Chechen mod and the faces just look kinda distorted...to his credit he did the best job he could with the models, but the uncons have all those scarves covering their faces and it's a hard work around.

I'd like to see some new Uncons myself.

And damn I wish we could get some more vegetation...specially some barrel shaped/palmeto palms, and some of that spiky palm grass...before we say goodbye to Syria.

I believe you could probably swap the models around. Give the uncons the mujaheddin models and etc. Just a visual swap like that (Like I've done with turning the UAZ into a pickup truck or having the USMC use the US army model). I would bet it's probably doable, just not sure what BFs take on that would be.

If BF would frown on it, I could also say write a detailed "do it yourself" guide, but not actually make a mod including the files. So you could only do it if you already had the Afghanistan game files.

As someone who doesn't know much about modding graphics.....I'm still surprised this would be that hard / complicated (or wouldn't look of good quality, even if done).

Is the user interface (where units pictures show up) really going to be all that different with the Astan/CMSF version. Is it a size issue?

It's not about hard or complicated due to technical issues, rather it's due to legal and ownership issues. Presumably Snowball owns the rights to the models they created, why would they freely give away their hard work to be used in someone else's game?

Well, perhaps don't use Snowballs than - Though, I would wonder if BFC would have the final ownership over all said material within the new Astan mod/game (whatever it exactly is).

My point being, I've been surprised by the lack of differing units (cosmetic only) for the UI (for both Blue and Red). Which makes me believe it must be more complicated than with most other games. In that to date, with the various Astan user made missions that have already been put out....that we haven't seen such cosmetic only modded Astan looking units to be shown on the UI representing / depicting them.

Well, perhaps don't use Snowballs than - Though, I would wonder if BFC would have the final ownership over all said material within the new Astan mod/game (whatever it exactly is).

My point being, I've been surprised by the lack of differing units (cosmetic only) for the UI (for both Blue and Red). Which makes me believe it must be more complicated than with most other games. In that to date, with the various Astan user made missions that have already been put out....that we haven't seen such cosmetic only modded Astan looking units to be shown on the UI representing / depicting them.

I don't think I'm completely clear on what exactly you're asking for then. Are you asking why we can't create and import new unit models for the Afghan theatre? Are you talking about unit textures (which can and have been modded by the community dozens of times)? Or are you talking about modding menu items, like country flags (this also is possible and has already been done by the community several times)?

Modding of models has never, and will never, be allowed in CM games. It's not something we're interested in and I've discussed this to death about 100 times so a Search will answer any questions anybody might have.

Snowball owns the models, textures, etc. in the Afghanistan game. Even if we wanted to move them into Shock Force (and we do NOT) we'd have to make some sort of special arrangement with them to do this.

Again, Shock Force is set in Syria within the last few years, not Afghanistan, not Iraq, not anyplace else or any time else. Blurring the scope of the game is a very, very bad idea. Give you Mujahideen models and then you'll want the Pashtun voices, eclectic small arms, etc. In the end it's about a Module's worth of stuff :)

Steve