Dammit I want CMN now!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention the Solitaire ASL system which was really good as well.

Some folks seem to have a really hard time swallowing the truth that most people play computer games against the AI. It's just that the PBEM/Online community spend more time online, posting on the forums and so, are more vocal and more visible. They 'meet' PBEMers of other games online as well and so, understandably, they fall into the trap of thinking that they encompass the entire world of computer gaming.

I have a stoopid question:

What means this LADDER PBEM or LADDER GAMING.???

You have various gaming clubs around the web, such as the Blitz, WeBoB, FGM, WaW, etc, where players play the various CM games and have various stats (i.e. games played, win/losses, ranking, etc.) recorded. That record is referred to as a ladder.

Many competitive players in these clubs like to play QBs since it is easier to create a balanced scenarios with QBs due to the standardised maps and fixed force levels.

Of course, ladder players are not the only ones who play QBs and not everyone in clubs only play QBs.

Not to mention the Solitaire ASL system which was really good as well.

Some folks seem to have a really hard time swallowing the truth that most people play computer games against the AI. It's just that the PBEM/Online community spend more time online, posting on the forums and so, are more vocal and more visible. They 'meet' PBEMers of other games online as well and so, understandably, they fall into the trap of thinking that they encompass the entire world of computer gaming.

Yes, okay, from some thousand board games (I did not spoke about board wargames only!) are a hand full for single players. And I got a new defintion for the word 'freak', horray!!! ;)

I didn't meant that the majority of CMSF players are playing H2H. I'm indeed aware that the opposite is true. The question is 'why'?? Just read what Lt Belenko wrote few posts above. Some (many??) people doesn't even seem to be aware that and how CMSF can be played H2H or how player are organized. That's what I was pointing at when I wrote about marketing and programming strategy.

What if (hehe) CMSF would be a wargame with optimized H2h programming and marketing. Well, okay, you can even play it solitair if you want to...for training, maybe... ;)

Yes, okay, from some thousand board games (I did not spoke about board wargames only!) are a hand full for single players. And I got a new defintion for the word 'freak', horray!!! ;)

You still don't get it. A huge percentage of board wargame players spent at least some of their time playing solitaire whether their games were specifically designed for that or not. It requires a certain amount of mental dexterity to play both sides as well as one can, but it is by no means impossible to have a satisfying gaming experience that way.

Michael

I hope CM series will go beyond the IP exchange thing some time in the future. Yes, more people play single but that's not a reason not to enhance the H2H. Why did they switch to Realtime then since most prefer WeGo? A better multiplayer will attract more online gamers generate some buzz and help the community grow. Look what happened with Il-2 and the awesome online campaigns. Far far more interesting than dogfighting AI drones.

The question is 'why'?? Just read what Lt Belenko wrote few posts above. Some (many??) people doesn't even seem to be aware that and how CMSF can be played H2H or how player are organized.

I can't speak for other but the answer to your question is because I'm not interested in playing online games. I like to sit down and play a mission from start to finish without pausing and so exchanging turns each day with another player for 120 days is not appealing at all.

Further, I live in Indonesia which means that my electricity supply or my internet connection are liable to go at any time, without warning (true it only happens once or twice a week but that's enough to put you off). Further, my time zone is way out of kilter with the rest of you.

And, most compelling of all is that I've read that it is the experience of people who do play games online that they cannot go back to playing the'boring' AI once they have played against a human opponent. I do not wish that to become my experience.

BTW, even though I was an avid board wargamer when I was younger, I liked to play wargames that covered Napoleonic/ACW eras through to the modern era but could rarely find anyone at my wargaming club that would play anything other than 'boring old' WW2 games. (That's a joke BTW) I played SPI's fantastic monster 'The Next War' several times solitaire as well as their two modern era classics, 'Suez to Golan' and 'Red Star: White Star'. I still play the latter two from time to time when I'm back in Scotland. I could never find anyone to play those games against.

I hope CM series will go beyond the IP exchange thing some time in the future. Yes, more people play single but that's not a reason not to enhance the H2H. Why did they switch to Realtime then since most prefer WeGo? A better multiplayer will attract more online gamers generate some buzz and help the community grow. Look what happened with Il-2 and the awesome online campaigns. Far far more interesting than dogfighting AI drones.

Empires of Steel has a great integrated lobby and player matching system. Unfortunately there is never anyone just waiting there for a game, but if you had pre-arranged a time it would be a great way to chat and auto-connect connect. A bigger community would make it more likely to find someone waiting for a casual battle.

I hope something like that could be arranged for CM but knowing BFC I doubt that it is even on the first ten pages of "the list".