Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad screenies...

Yup. I still play the original a bit. Only fps i've ever played. While it is certainly not a simulation, it is worlds better than the other shooter's i've attempted.

But it's Gary Grigsby's War in the East that I am really jonesing for. The alpha aar's are mouth watering.

CMN is still tops though...

42 and trying to keep from wetting my pants in anticipation.

• 2 months later...

Tanks? No they haven't officially announced anything regarding that yet, but if you look at some of the screenshots they've posted on their steam users group and various other places you will see tanks in the screenshots. Here's one example (tank on the left side):

http://www.sector.sk/files/novinky/2010-6-4-10-4-64//54297-8911707.jpg

They also posted a poll on the official forums a while back asking players what kinds of maps they wanted: Infantry only, Combined Arms, or Tanks only.

Both that screenshot and said poll are pretty huge "hints" ;). I think they're just waiting to announce till when they're ready to really get the hype machine going.

Well were you playing Unreal Tournament? Not exactly the most realistic game :D.

Yes they're using the newest version of the unreal engine, which IIRC is 3.0 or something. They won the rights to it when they won the "Make something unreal" mod contest along with a million dollars some years ago when RO was just a mod.

The unreal engine from what I've heard is very flexible and as you can see from that article I posted above they're going pretty all out.

New trailer from PAX with the tank in action (all in game footage obviously):

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pax-10-red-orchestra/703872

EDIT: I can't believe more people on here aren't interested in this! Do you all hate shooters that much? Even ones set on the eastern front (for once), with bullet drop, adjustable sights and fully modeled T34 interiors???!?!?!

EDIT: I can't believe more people on here aren't interested in this! Do you all hate shooters that much? Even ones set on the eastern front (for once), with bullet drop, adjustable sights and fully modeled T34 interiors???!?!?!

Nox, do a RO search, you'll see plenty of attention to this game going all the way back to the mod days, might be archived though. We even posted our Steam nicknames to more easily find each other online. Also some added a "BF" to denote that their from the BF forums too. It's just that the GF has slowly but surely become dormant nowadays, few come here anymore.

But anyways, we won't let that stop us, here's a new interview: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/02/red-orchestra-heroes-of-stalingrad-vehicles/

For starters we have fully modeled the entire interior of every tank in the game. At any position in the tank the player will see what a real person in the tank would see. Look down and you’ll see your hands operating all of the levers. Move between positions and it will be fully animated in first person.
This is music to my ears. I'm all for quality over quantity considering the sim-like detail and fully animated tank crewman. Now I'm even more pumped about the new RO. :)

...with bullet drop, adjustable sights and fully modeled T34 interiors???!?!?!

Well hey, now you're talkin'!! =P

I would have already gotten into Red Orchestra, but it's "almost entirely online"-ness makes it hard for me to get too excited. I have a hard enough time surviving such realistic games without getting randomly shot in the back and/or grenaded by those on my same team. =/

The fully modeled tank interiors are certainly eye-opening, though. Not that I'm up to date on tank simulators, but this is first game I've heard of that actually shows the pixeltruppen operating levers and such.

Of the things I've heard about Red Orchestra, the one that piqued my interest the most was verisimilitudinous modeling of the MG-34 and -42 in terms of ammo, overheating, and barrel changing.

Sure there's a learning curve, but don't tell me you only play against the AI in CM? If you do, I pray for your soul :P.

It's very hard for the first month or so, you'll be getting shot over and over by people you have no clue where they are... And you'll suck at bolt rifle shooting for a while... but you'll get it eventually. And kills in this game are much more satisfying than say COD, or Battlefield because they're HARD to make. (unless you got a PPSh at point blank range, but then you're at a huge disadvantage at ranges over 100 meters).

Nothing feels better than popping a German in full sprint at 300 meters with your 91/30 and pure iron sights after gauging perfectly the bullet drop and time to target.

If you're even remotely interested in shooters buy the original. Tons of people still play it and the mod for it, Darkest Hour. It's $9.99. Seriously, buy it. Tripwire Interactive is the ONLY developer out there I'm aware of who cares about making a superbly realistic WW2 FPS. And yes the MG's are modeled very well, though the tracers are a bit over the top sometime.

Actually a campaign is about to be started "EFC" by one of my clanmates... here's the steam group (public of course) we already have 100 members so it's gonna be huge:

.../groups/EasternFrontCampaign

I can tell you right now this is the best way to play RO having played something nearly identical 2 years ago (this is its "revival"). No retards tking in spawn and it's all coordinated (commanders make detailed plans before each battle). I'll just copy off the steam page what it's about:

Welcome to Eastern Front Campaign... we hope this will be a sucessfull campaign for the rest of Redorchestra and onto RO-Heroes of Stalingrad

for those new to the campaign here's a discription on what's involved:

16 v 16 organised battles

4 hours a night (Saturdays and Sundays) / times to be announced

You can come and go when you want (play when you have free time then leave)

Realistic Rankings

You join one side per season (if you join Axis you stay Axis till end of season, same as Allies)

Realistic timeframe

Each map represents an area and the team captures the most map wins that season

Point system (Optional) - the more places you capture the more equipment you can get for next battles

Team swap (if Axis captures Basovka then Allies can attack that map to retake the area)

15 min maps (best out of 7 rounds)

20 min maps (best out of 5 rounds)

25 + mins maps (best out of 3 rounds)

2 maps will be played each day-one for Allies and one for Axis

Joining this group won't determine what side you'll be in...signups will be on the forums when they are live.

I will keep you all upto date with how the website/Forums are getting on. We'll also have things instore for RO-HOS

I'm currently looking on people who can help run the campaign{s} when we go live.

So basically it's like Risk but with the 1st person battles determining who takes territories and gets the resources from them. Like I said, I played in something nearly identical to this 2 years ago for about 6 months and it was one of the best gaming experiences I've had.

MeatEr you'll definitely want to look into signing up on the steam group... we're not too far off from starting up.

MeatEr you'll definitely want to look into signing up on the steam group... we're not too far off from starting up.

Thanks for the heads up, but I haven't played RO in about a year or so. I took part in a couple of tourneys and a bunch of clan invite nights going all the way back to like 2003. So not that interested in this one, although it does look and sound good though.

Is this still a mod for UT or a standalone game?

Hey Redwolf, it's standalone again of course since they won a Unreal 3.0 license from the mod tournament.

Sure there's a learning curve, but don't tell me you only play against the AI in CM? If you do, I pray for your soul :P.

I do, and I still find it challenging. =P

It's very hard for the first month or so, you'll be getting shot over and over by people you have no clue where they are... And you'll suck at bolt rifle shooting for a while... but you'll get it eventually. And kills in this game are much more satisfying than say COD, or Battlefield because they're HARD to make. (unless you got a PPSh at point blank range, but then you're at a huge disadvantage at ranges over 100 meters).

It's not any sort of learning curve irks me, it's the experience I've had in other FPS games (I've played CoD4 online the most, but I've also played America's Army 2 & 3 and MoH) that guys on one's same side will blithely kill you out of malice or carelessness or both. (And then, of course, there's cheating.) Actually, the things you enumerate are things I would indeed like about the game.

In any case, thanks much for the recommendation. =)