Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Is air support supposed to be visible?

I know this is probably a dumb question, but I can't find the answer in the game manual. In CMBB, when you called in air support, all you got to see was a shadow of the plane on the ground, even for dive bombers. According to the manual, this was because computers at the time weren't powerful enough to render it. I'm not sure why, because if they could render a tank, why couldn't they render a plane?

I was wondering if you were supposed to be able to see the helicopters and jet planes in CMSF, or if they were still just a shadow, and if so, why don't they render them, even though our computers are powerful enough to do so?

Nope not even a shadow. And that's not entirely incorrect. A plane would be flying too high, the helicopter would in all likelihood be hugging a hill some ways back from the fighting. You'll know where they are when ordnance starts coming in from off map.

As to why no greater effort is expended rendering aircraft, because this is not an aircraft sim. Seeing an aeroplane isn't directly relevant to what is going on.

Neither aircraft nor shadows are shown in CM:SF.

There are several reasons:

o) making/adapting plane models is 'expensive' in terms of manpower,

o) creating special code for aircraft trajectories is, again, expensive (and a serious bottleneck with only one programmer)

o) most of the times modern aircraft would not be visible anyway due to great stand-off/engagement ranges.

So expect to see the terminal effects of aircraft only.

Best regards,

Thomm

Remember, CMSF is based on a hypothetical scenario. One where all aircraft are 100% stealthy.

Not necessarily. To my knowledge, none of the CAS listed are stealth fighters. And even our so called "stealth" fighters aren't 100% stealthy, they just reflect radar beams better than other planes.

Not necessarily. To my knowledge, none of the CAS listed are stealth fighters. And even our so called "stealth" fighters aren't 100% stealthy, they just reflect radar beams better than other planes.

Ah, but do they reflect pixels?

I didn't think so.

Eagle2, ever since Pvt Ryan was saved by Tom Hanks in WWII he has become quite a joker. Its compensation for the tremendous survivor guilt he feels.

Eagle2, ever since Pvt Ryan was saved by Tom Hanks in WWII he has become quite a joker. Its compensation for the tremendous survivor guilt he feels.

Lol, i can see that. Perhaps a little trip to the local VA hospital will sort him out ;)

Seriously though, there's not much low level overflights these days to cast shadows over the target. Apache is 8km downrange firings its big missile from a hover, or a couple km downrange for its guns & Hydra rockets. Everybody's dropping JDAM in the game which means the plane's already flying the in opposite direction by the time the bomb lands. I doubt F15 flies below 12,000 ft. to deliver it ordnance. Two planes in the game that might be able to use overfight shadow (if the game had it) would be Marine Harrier and A-10. I think those are the only two fixed-wing aircraft in the game that strafe. British Harrier doesn't even carry a gun!