Purchase and QB Bone

Excellent; it's always good to have expert advice. My understanding is that the bar serves South African wines pretty much exclusively, so I imagine they'll have a good range to choose from. My personal preference is for full-bodied reds, but I like to keep an open mind and try other things as well.

Ah... found their wine list online http://www.xaixaiwinebar.com/wines.html. A quick check shows that they do have both the Fusion V and the Z so I'll definitely give both of them a try.

Thanks again!

YD

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent; it's always good to have expert advice. My understanding is that the bar serves South African wines pretty much exclusively, so I imagine they'll have a good range to choose from. My personal preference is for full-bodied reds, but I like to keep an open mind and try other things as well.

Ah... found their wine list online http://www.xaixaiwinebar.com/wines.html. A quick check shows that they do have both the Fusion V and the Z so I'll definitely give both of them a try.

Thanks again!

YD

Full bodied the De Toren Fusions are, but they also fruity, soft. "A velvet cushion within a steel gauntlet" ;-) I rate the Fusion V 2006 vintage highly. Served it recently with a table of 13 people at La Colombe @ Constantia Uitsig and all there were complimentary of the wine, the diners ranging from wine lovers to no-so-clued-up-on-wine. A sure sign it appeals to a broad palate. If you are going to drink the 2006, decant (air) the wine for 20-30 minutes before serving. You will not be disappointed ;-)

I see the the above winebar you quoted has the Kevin Arnold Shiraz 03! The Simonsig Red Hill Pinotage and L'Avenir Pinotage too. My my, they DO have some beauts.

Let me know what you think of the wines, once tasted. Always good to hear preferences on SA vino. Cannot imagine what they would charge in the USA for the SA reds, but most of those reds listed on Xai Xai sell from ZAR150+ upwards a bottle in South Africa. Do enjoy your Easter.

EDIT: This is one of the best SA wine lists I've seen so far (for a winebar) outside South Africa!

Now, back to the topic, designing games. Wargames. Ahhh, all in a life's work Charles will say ...

WineCape,

Once CM:N is released, will you consider running one of your fabulous tournaments?

Why not? Apart from being a football referee analyst for the 2010 World Cup here in South Africa (contract still up for final discussion!) I should have enough time on my hands.

Havent been around for a LONG time - but this gives me hope that I may be able to return to something like the old PBEM QB's of CMBO again !

Who knows - if BF keeps this up I may be forced to install Boot Camp on my Mac [shudder]

Did anything happen about the mention (a couple of years ago I suspect) of a Mac native version ?

FP

Did anything happen about the mention (a couple of years ago I suspect) of a Mac native version ?

The subject comes up every few months or so, but nothing from BFC beyond Steve saying that they'd "like" to do one. What it really comes down to I suspect is how much work that would be versus other things that they might put the same effort into that might make them more money.

Michael

The subject comes up every few months or so, but nothing from BFC beyond Steve saying that they'd "like" to do one. What it really comes down to I suspect is how much work that would be versus other things that they might put the same effort into that might make them more money.

Michael

Absolutely - they need to do the stuff that pays the bills. And with essentially all modern Macs supporting dual boot the lost market is probably relatively slim.

Does anyone have first hand experience of what CMSF plays like on a late 2009 iMac ? Is the GPU up to the demands ? Its a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M apparently....

Does anyone have first hand experience of what CMSF plays like on a late 2009 iMac ? Is the GPU up to the demands ? Its a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M apparently....

Given that it plays quite well on my 2007 iMac with an ATI 2600 PRO, I can only assume that the more current iMacs are able to handle it without much difficulty.

I have an early 2008 24inch iMac with an NVIDIA GeForce (8800 I think - I'm at work so can't check). It runs SF really well, and booting into Vista takes seconds. CMSF is all I use the windows partition for.

YD - I doubt if any new Mac with the on board graphics GF9400M would play CM:SF. I keep an old (My son's cast off) PC a Pentium "D" I think with a GF9600 card, which I use only for Tank bashing and Dragon squashing. An Intel Mac mini I use for day to day stuff.

Macs in this neck of the woods run to 2 or 3 times the US$ (while local PCs are roughly equivalent, so I pretty well have given up the Mac platform for "Real" games.

David

YD - I doubt if any new Mac with the on board graphics GF9400M would play CM:SF. I keep an old (My son's cast off) PC a Pentium "D" I think with a GF9600 card, which I use only for Tank bashing and Dragon squashing. An Intel Mac mini I use for day to day stuff.

Macs in this neck of the woods run to 2 or 3 times the US$ (while local PCs are roughly equivalent, so I pretty well have given up the Mac platform for "Real" games.

David

Sorry, but you'd be incorrect there:

I'm running CMSF on Vista on my Aluminum MacBook (late 2008, 2.0 version with the GeForce 9400M card) and it is running flawlessly at 1280x800. Very nice indeed.

Umm.. I stand ....corrected!

I think that when i tried it out on my Mac mini it was with XP running under emulation and before Parallels upped the graphics support. Well over a year ago and the memory cells are diminishing.

Glad to hear it runs - might even influence my next computer purchase.

David

Yeah, I'm not so sure about CMSF in an emulator like Parallels. I've heard that the newest version of Parallels really improves the 3D graphics capabilities, but I still wouldn't hold my breath... I wouldn't know as I don't use Parallels myself. But all of Apple's current Laptop and Desktop line should be able to run CMSF in Boot Camp without a problem.

But all of Apple's current Laptop and Desktop line should be able to run CMSF in Boot Camp without a problem.

I am not well informed in this area so please indulge me a question before I go dive into the murky area of Macs and Windoze. Is Boot Camp merely an application that allows a Mac to run Windows, or is it a kind of alternative to Windows that allows Windows-native apps to run on a Mac? And does it come as an integral part of the Mac OS or does it have to be purchased separately?

Okay, that was more than one question. You see why I call it a murky area.

:rolleyes:;):D

Michael

I am not well informed in this area so please indulge me a question before I go dive into the murky area of Macs and Windoze. Is Boot Camp merely an application that allows a Mac to run Windows, or is it a kind of alternative to Windows that allows Windows-native apps to run on a Mac? And does it come as an integral part of the Mac OS or does it have to be purchased separately?

Okay, that was more than one question. You see why I am a murky area.

Michael

Don't tell him. If he starts actually PLAYING the game he will be even more insufferable.

Noba.

Don't tell him. If he starts actually PLAYING the game he will be even more insufferable.

Congratulations! You have just won a 50 CD set of me singing all of Bing Crosby's greatest hits! You won't want to miss a single one of these, so put on your headphones and get comfortable! It's gonna be a leisurely trip down Memory Lane!

Michael

Okay, that was more than one question. You see why I call it a murky area.

Michael

Boot Camp comes as a part of OSX Leopard and Snow Leopard. Basically, it allows you to partition your hard drive and set up a Windows partition. When you boot from this partition, your Mac is, for all intents and purposes, a Windows PC. Via Boot Camp, your computer is either running OSX or Windows; it can't run both at the same time. You have to reboot to switch (though Macs do reboot very fast, much faster than most PCs I've used).

Since a Boot Camp Mac runs Windows "normally," pretty much any Windows program that your hardware can handle can run via Boot Camp.

Boot Camp itself is free (well, you do have to pay for OSX, but you don't have to pay additional for Boot Camp). You do have to buy a copy of Windows to install on your Boot Camp partition, though.

The other option for running Windows is a so-called "Emulator" like VMWare or Parallels. These programs create a virtual Windows session within OSX. The advantage is that you don't have to reboot to run a Windows program with these. The disadvantage is that the computer actually has to handle running Windows overlayed on top of OSX, so things tend to be slower, and more complex programs (such as 3D games) don't always work so well. The emulator programs get better with every generation, though.

Hope this oversimplified explanation helps...

Cheers,

YD

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...