Question about Patch 1.21

Lanzfeld

In the readme of the patch it says "Bradley IFVs and CFVs carry some 40mm grenades for their passengers".

Now when I first read this I thought that we could resupply the assault teams with more hand grenades. After testing I find this not to be true. Am I to assume now that this is talking about extra grenades for the grenade launchers?

If so, thank you for the addition. But PLEASE allow the boys to grab some extra hand grenades for the house to house action out of the Strykers and Bradleys. (Only if this is common practice IRL, of coarse.)

We always carried extra in our Bradleys, but not so much in the trucks. They were still in the cardboard tubes and never a complete resupply(5 scouts-4 each, and carried 10-12 extras), but they were there. But on that note, we always carried more ammo(12 TOW, upwards of 3000 25mm rounds, but less AT-4's and small arms) on the scout vehicles as we expected longer times between resupply.

We always carried extra in our Bradleys, but not so much in the trucks. They were still in the cardboard tubes and never a complete resupply(5 scouts-4 each, and carried 10-12 extras), but they were there. But on that note, we always carried more ammo(12 TOW, upwards of 3000 25mm rounds, but less AT-4's and small arms) on the scout vehicles as we expected longer times between resupply.

I just want to add to this(posting at work so I get distracted), but its been awhile so I lost the edit button.

We made it a point at the urban warfare school for leaders to plan on this when conducting MOUT operations and to up the vehicle loads in grenades and breaching charges. So if you knew and could plan ahead, it is possible for more grenades to be on board.

Also understand this was a few years ago, so not sure how they plan ammo consumption currently.

tyrspawn, +1 to that, would be nice if at least basic ammo (5.56 and 7.62) were gathered automatically if low. What I would also like to see would be a different breakdown of the ammo available in vehicles. Strykers carry over 3,000 rounds of each, and the smallest number available before anyone has taken any rounds is 1,000. So if I want to grab a little extra 5.56 for an MG or Jav team or something like that from a vehicle which no one has resupplied from before, I have to give them 1k rounds, far more than they will need, and have less left in the vehicle for the infantry squads who may eventually need those clips later. And anyway, why am I offered to take over 3,000 rounds of 5.56 at once from a vehicle in the first place? Has anyone ever used that many in a battle? If I was offered, say, 200/400/600/800 rounds (instead of 1,000/2,000/3,000/3,360), it wouldn't make the list any longer, but I could take smaller amounts, and take larger amounts by simply aquiring multiple times.

Anyone?

Auto-rearm could become very annoying in certain circumstances. Let's say you limp a severely reduced/wounded squad back to a Bradley as you bring a fresh squad forward. The reduced squad mounts-up for evac and promptly steals the last of the ammo in the process! :D

I do wish that auto-rearm could somehow be incorporated into AI play, though it sounds so difficult to be almost impossible to code properly. As it stands the AI can't even mount up and drive off, forget about acquiring in the process too.

IMO elements should automatically rearm if any of their ammo categories are "red" (30%) or at least "black" (5%). Doesn't make sense that they wouldn't rearm on their own initiative if getting out of the vehicle again meant suicide (no ammo).

But presumably you aren't arguing for some sort of "limitless ammunition resupply" concept.

There's only so much ammunition you can carry on say a Bradley and still have room for the passengers who want to use said ammunition. :)

It would be neat if ammo supply could be maintained with a squad runner 1-2 men automatically when they reach x level. Right now I will manually split my squad and send them packing to a vehicle to re ammo up, then return them to the fray and then send the second split team to rearm if needed.

That would be nice. Another thing that i would like is the ability to combine disembark with pause for vehicles. I would like them to drive,pause 15 sec, pop smoke, unload infantry, and back out. All in all i really would like to see that you would be able to combine more orders.

You can do all that now with a little creative use of small movements back and forth while your smoke cloud developes (I assume that is why you want to wait?). After 4 or 5 of these little moves then your Stryker will stop and your troops will deploy.

So it is:

Forward to desired spot.

Pop Smoke.

Back 5 meters.

Forward 5 meters.

Back 5 meteres.

Forward 5 meters.

<<Do this Forwards and Back routine a few more times>>

Stop Stryker.

All the while troops had a Quick order to deploy so when your stryker stops for good out they go.

OR... Just give your troops a 45 second pause while your ride drives them up and pops smoke.

tyrspawn, +1 to that, would be nice if at least basic ammo (5.56 and 7.62) were gathered automatically if low. What I would also like to see would be a different breakdown of the ammo available in vehicles. Strykers carry over 3,000 rounds of each, and the smallest number available before anyone has taken any rounds is 1,000. So if I want to grab a little extra 5.56 for an MG or Jav team or something like that from a vehicle which no one has resupplied from before, I have to give them 1k rounds, far more than they will need, and have less left in the vehicle for the infantry squads who may eventually need those clips later. And anyway, why am I offered to take over 3,000 rounds of 5.56 at once from a vehicle in the first place? Has anyone ever used that many in a battle? If I was offered, say, 200/400/600/800 rounds (instead of 1,000/2,000/3,000/3,360), it wouldn't make the list any longer, but I could take smaller amounts, and take larger amounts by simply aquiring multiple times.

Anyone?

+1 to this. Great idea. I could ACQUIRE multiple times to gain the ammo I want, but I won't be burdened with hundreds of unwanted rounds.

Regards,

Ken

phil stanbridge,

Yes, it does. I ran tests over a year ago in which I took standard US squads and I had some of them ACQUIRE ammo from Strykers until their cups runneth over. Then I QUICKED and FASTED them over a "track" I'd set up. The guys with bulging rucks had a noticable decrease in their endurance. The game compensated for the load they were carrying by tiring them more rapidly.

Regards,

Ken

I'd like to agree with some of the other posters. Realistically, soldiers when mounted up to move would grab more ammo, most likely without having to be told. The M-4/M16 magazines might not get completely re-loaded, but the MG's would grab fresh boxes easily, the M-203's could get more easily. Grabbing another AT-4 would not be difficult. I'd assume the Javelins would just be strapped in, so fairly easy to get another missle ready. The trick would be to have the re-supply be based on the amount of time they spend in the vehicle. Hope in a Bradley and move 50m across a street, is not enough time to get really re-supplied. Move 1000m, with 2 pauses waiting for other elements to catch-up, or overwatch a move and you could possibly get it done.

On a seperate note, I'd also like to be able to split a squad and send half back to get ammo for the entire squad. This is just a "in game" dream.

But even with that being realistic truth, we have to bring in the factor that someone has to come up with computer code for this to happen. All great ideas, to make a fun game, better.

On a seperate note, I'd also like to be able to split a squad and send half back to get ammo for the entire squad. This is just a "in game" dream.

Perhaps I'm misremembering (I haven't had time to play for a few weeks) but can't you do this already? I thought that if you split a US Infantry squad and sent one team into a vehicle to load up on ammo, the ammo was shared out amongst all squad members once the team rejoined the parent squad?

Of course, this doesn't work for units that can't split, such as most Syrian infantry and MG teams. It would be cool to be able to send 1-2 guys from an MG team into a nearby vehicle for more ammo, while the Gunner and Asst. Gunner stay on the weapon.

It would be even cooler to be able to share ammo amongst an entire platoon, i.e., send a half-squad back to resupply, and then share the ammo amongst the squads. Not too big a deal for modern, but arguably more important for the WWII setting.

But yeah, there's probably a fair amount of coding work to make any of this happen. I do hope we'll see some refinement to the ammo & resupply modeling & UI for the WWII release. What we have now is a huge improvement from the CMx1 "ammo point" system with no resupply, but it could definitely be taken further.

Perhaps I'm misremembering (I haven't had time to play for a few weeks) but can't you do this already? I thought that if you split a US Infantry squad and sent one team into a vehicle to load up on ammo, the ammo was shared out amongst all squad members once the team rejoined the parent squad?

Of course, this doesn't work for units that can't split, such as most Syrian infantry and MG teams. It would be cool to be able to send 1-2 guys from an MG team into a nearby vehicle for more ammo, while the Gunner and Asst. Gunner stay on the weapon.

It would be even cooler to be able to share ammo amongst an entire platoon, i.e., send a half-squad back to resupply, and then share the ammo amongst the squads. Not too big a deal for modern, but arguably more important for the WWII setting.

But yeah, there's probably a fair amount of coding work to make any of this happen. I do hope we'll see some refinement to the ammo & resupply modeling & UI for the WWII release. What we have now is a huge improvement from the CMx1 "ammo point" system with no resupply, but it could definitely be taken further.

Its possible that it happened and I just missed it. I had a squad in a great spot and they were pouring out covering fire for 2 other squads moves. So they were going through the rounds quickly and I just might have missed the fact they got more. I never read any instructions and just found out that I could resupply units a week or so ago, though this forum, so been playing with it alot lately, LOL.

But inter-platoon ammo redistribution would be awesome and very realistic.