Damn, we missed the 25th anniversary!

Sergei

Of none other than the "important" movie, Red Dawn! As is so aptly put by the greatest film critic of our era, Debbie Schlussel,

This is one of those things that makes you feel old. But it’s especially auspicious, since we’re now in a statist trend in America, under a big brother President.

Yesterday, August 10th, was the official 25th anniversary of an important movie, “Red Dawn,” which depicts a Soviet Communist invasion of America and a band of American teens–the “Wolverines”–who heroically fight them off. It was released on August 10, 1984 amidst the Reagan Revolution. And in many ways it was symbolic of why it was so important for the Reagan Era to succeed over Communism.

Although it was panned by many critics (a/k/a liberals) at the time, “Red Dawn” is a great movie that stands the test of time . . . if you realize that the Communist threat of yesterday in the movie could easily be the Islamic threat of today, taking over our country unless we stop them. Only a few years after “Red Dawn” came out, the Soviet Union fell. But several of the Communist leaders on our own Western Hemisphere, in Latin America, who were around then–like Nicaragua’s Daniel Ortega–are back or have been replaced by far worse, such as Venezuela’s Hugo Chavez and Bolivia’s Evo Morales.

Damn critics (aka. liberals)! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would offer Ms. Schlussel this clue: Red Dawn was panned because it was total horsesh*t from beginning to end. I saw it when it came out and felt that I had been robbed of my admission fee. It was wrong in its overall conception and it was wrong in all its details. You can't get much wronger than that. It wasn't even a proper fairy tale IMO, because a good fairy tale points to a deeper truth by way of fantasy, but RD was merely delusional. In that, I agree that it was fittingly emblematic of the Reagan administration.

Michael

I would offer Ms. Schlussel this clue: Red Dawn was panned because it was total horsesh*t from beginning to end. I saw it when it came out and felt that I had been robbed of my admission fee. It was wrong in its overall conception and it was wrong in all its details. You can't get much wronger than that. It wasn't even a proper fairy tale IMO, because a good fairy tale points to a deeper truth by way of fantasy, but RD was merely delusional. In that, I agree that it was fittingly emblematic of the Reagan administration.

Michael

Well as a teenage boy when it came out, I loved it. One of my favourite films of the era when the local video shop offered about 100 VHS tapes all up. I mean, I still realised that it was total crap propaganda, but it made for good fantasy for all of us teenage wannabe Rambos.

It's good camp stuff, at par with Adam West's Batman (I feel Tim Burton ruined the franchise).

The good news is, there's going to be a remake! The Chinese, together with Russians (WTF?), invade USA. In 2010. These posters are part of the marketing:

500x_phoca_thumb_l_propaganda_1.jpg

What next, remakes of all Chuck Norris films?

Invasion%20USA%20%281985%29.jpg

(I think he's not going to be particularly accurate, looking straight at you but firing at two completely different directions...)

Jezz, is "Red Dawn" the best American Right-wingnuts can come up with as a symbol of their cause in art?!? They're worse off than I thought.

Somebody get a scholarship fund started to send some of these folks to film school. I mean, I'm no expert on the art form, but there *has* to be something better that hews to their general worldview out there in the vast body of work that has been put out on celluloid.