Possiblity of improving the dismount command

Wengart

I think Scipio has brought this up before. But currently any unit that drives itself around, be it in a UAZ or one of those British recon vehicles, has a serious disadvantage in turn-based mode. It takes 2 turns to mount or dismount a vehicle and then proceed to your destination. In some cases this means wasting up too two minutes of gameplay time to move a measly 10 meters.:mad: Additionally the current dismount command could leave a squad in a potentially vulnerable dismount position for a minute plus,which is certainly enough time for that squad to become pinned... or worse:(, with little or no input from the play.

So would it be possible to make the dismount command be part of a string of commands. For example, dismount followed by a move command would cause a unit to exit their vehicle and move to their destination.

Or ordering a unit to mount up followed by a move command would tell them to drive their vehicle to said destination?

The Dismount Command is intended to be a generalized "bail out of vehicle" command where the unit gets out of the vehicle and immediately seeks the nearest available cover within a few meters of the vehicle. If you want to have your guys move out and go somewhere immediately, use regular Movement Commands. Personally, I never use Dismount except during Setup.

Steve

Steve, I think you misunderstood the question. This is in reference to Humvee, UAZ and such vehicles without a dedicated driver. If you have an empty Humvee and order a team to occupy it, the only option for them to exit is the Dismount command, which cannot be linked together with movement commands.

Ah!! Sorry, yes I did misunderstand. Hmmm... well, I'll see what can be done about that.

As someone who hasn't played WeGo, other than testing, for several years... why does dismounting and then moving the unit possibly get you stuck with a 2 minute delay? It should be no more than 59 seconds.

Steve

I think 1 second to go ten meters, wait until minute ends, then dismount, another minute, then move.

I've had a Marine Javelin team tooling around in their own Humvee. They had fun that day. :)

You can press dismount and then move in the same turn. You don't get highlighted action spots but you are definately moving the crew and not the vehicle. Because of this it takes 1 minute to dismount, not 2. I generally think of it as the crew getting their weapons off racks etc (yes, I know it doesn't take that long but it doesn't bother me too much - these vehicles shouldn't be used in assault anyway)

Move - wait for minute to end - dismount and move to infantry waypoint

Costard,

I think 1 second to go ten meters, wait until minute ends, then dismount, another minute, then move.

OK, that makes sense. 1-59 seconds of possible delay to get the unit dismounted, 1-59 seconds of possible delay to get it moving, which is a total possible range of between 2 and 118 seconds depending on circumstances. In reality it can't ever be quite that bad, since the dismounting process itself takes quite a few seconds, depending on the number of passengers and the vehicle. But still, I get the point that there is a time penalty for WeGo that doesn't exist for RealTime. It's a similar problem that CMx1 had, but since everybody was playing in WeGo everybody had to deal with the same issue all the time.

Steve

The point isn't whether your men move on a given turn. It is if they move to the location you want them to go to. If a squad moves 10 meters in the wrong direction then next turn you have to make up that movement. Essentially when a squad dismounts I would expect them to know where they would be going.

Instead we get this:

One minute to dismount and one minute to begin moving towards their destination on foot.

It would then take a further minute to re-embark, and another minute to begin getting under way.

So all together to dismount from a vehicle and do some recon on foot it would take at least 4 minutes. With 2 of these minutes spent doing nothing.

Although with some well timed pauses you could do it in three, I think.

Anyway, Steve thanks for taking a look at this issue.

As far as I see it, this is not so much a problem, as something you just have to deal with in turn-based play.

This also goes for aquiring stuff from a vehicle.

You have to wait one turn while your men board the vehicle.

Then aquire during the orders phase.

Then spend another turn dismounting the vehicle.

So something that in real time would take you about 50 seconds, takes you 2 minutes in wego.

Personally, if an option to play short turns (30 seconds) rather than the 1 minute turn were implemented, I think it would be a quick fix.

How hard is it to change turn length in wego?

The acquire command should be something that you program at a waypoint set inside a vehicle so that you can enter the vehicle, acquire weapons/ammo, and exit the vehicle all in one turn with one series of orders.

The dismount command should set a waypoint under or near the vehicle so you can plot your next move from there.

I pretty much play real time exclusively now, so I forgot how frustrating these situations can be.

I would imagine BF.C would rather change the acquire and dismount order, if possible. Rather than start messing with the tried and true 1 minute 1 turn formula.

Although it is something we have to deal with it would still be nice if it were improved upon.

I guess you're right. I was just speculating it would be easier to change the turn length, than mess around with movement order code. Maybe add an option to have the player select between "Short" and "Long" turns.

I have noticed that the action in CMSF does move a lot faster, and is more intense, making me wish for shorter turns. Mistakes of mine tend to go from 'oops' to 'OH MY GOD they're all dead!' within a 60 second time-frame.