Number Crunching (Mathematicians?)

MeatEtr

Ok, I'll spare the details and get right to it.

8 separate rolls all fall into the 1-19 range out of 100. What are the odds of that?

Anybody know of any number crunching sites out there? Where all you gotta do is plug in the numbers and it spits out the results for you. Since I don't know how to use the calculator for this.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has to be remembered that the desired outcome can occur the first time you try it, and the tenth turn. That might imply that it is now unlikely to happen for the next 3.4 million throws. But that in itself is also unlikely. *

I would of course check the die. : )

* However in another universe someone is vainly trying to roll under 20 [insert spooky music]

Well yes, but likely things happen more often.:eek:

Well now, let's think about that a moment. The reason so many unlikely things happen all the time is that so vastly many more things that we can conceive of are unlikely. If only a relatively few things are likely, then by number they may not be popping off quite as often. On the other hand, this only holds if likely things are finite in number. If both turn out to be infinite, than the question is meaningless. If only the unlikely things are infinite, then the answer is trivial.

Whether either or both can be demonstrated as infinite is an exercise left to the student.

Michael

Well now, let's think about that a moment. The reason so many unlikely things happen all the time is that so vastly many more things that we can conceive of are unlikely. If only a relatively few things are likely, then by number they may not be popping off quite as often. On the other hand, this only holds if likely things are finite in number. If both turn out to be infinite, than the question is meaningless. If only the unlikely things are infinite, then the answer is trivial.

Whether either or both can be demonstrated as infinite is an exercise left to the student.

Michael

Ah, but not all infinities are created equal.

I'd argue that likely events are more common than unlikely events. Therefore, if both unlikely and unlikely events are infinite in number, the infinity of likely events is larger than the infinity of unlikely events. It turns out that we have a taxonomy of infinities - aleph null is smaller than aleph one, is smaller than aleph two,...:P

"million to one chances happen nine times out of ten"

paraphrase Douglas Adams or sumone similar

Terry Pratchett, discworld series - I forget which book - I think it might be the one where the librarian becomes an Orang Utan....oook!

from some wiki or other:

Traditionally, one has to say "it's a million-to-one chance, but it might just work!" to invoke this rule. It also has to be exactly a million to one - none of this fiddly "995,351 to 1" business, or whatever other number you might end up with. So while the list of things that people have accomplished with million to one chances is quite impressive, the list of things they have failed to accomplish with odds a few percentage points off in either direction is probably a lot longer and involves a lot more fatalities.