CMSF on sale for $5USD at GamersGate!

I mean c'mon, I might just scroll down and pickup Mount & Blade or even Sims 3 there on the left. :eek:

Mount & Blade is an awesome game. 'Course, I paid $11 for it about five years ago and still play it every now and then, so I've gotten a lot of bang for my buck. :)

The Paradox version of CM:SF has been available at my local book shop for a year or so for the princely sum of $6. I am always happy - nay, proud - that I bought it from BFC. Wacky Paradox.

Gamer's Gate is download only, it costs them nothing (or next to nothing) per copy. From their point of view, any dollar earned from a CMSF sale right now is a bonus, same as for all the old paradox games (HOI2, etc.) From BFC point of view, I would guess the benefit is that people who buy it from Gamers Gate would probably not have heard of it and bought it from BFC, and then become potential buyers of modules.

Why is the game selling at Battlefield.com at $35.00 while at GamerGate its $9.99??!!

You mean Battlefront.com, right? Anyway, we think that the game is worth much more than $9.99. What you get out of it compared to, say, heavily hyped pre-scripted shooter clones is worth way more than $9.99, and possibly more than $35.

We have no "lowest price" guarantee at Battlefront. But we do price our products fairly at the value we think they present to the customer.

The problem is that retail doesn't care about the "value" of a game. To them it's moving product. This in fact is one of the very reasons why there is a Battlefront.com. You can read more about it in our About Us section, or search the forum for discussions (going way back).

Surely its just economics in action. If the end product is more interest in BF products isnt that as bonus? After all 2 year old games tend to sell for very low prices in stores anyway.

I cant see the gripe against paradox as they were selling exactly the same version as BF were, werent they?

As a gamer who enjoys many different types of games, I have developed a purchase strategy that goes something like this: there are usually three or four (the number goes down as the years roll by) titles per year I buy on release; all the rest I go bargain bin shopping for. When/if I find a bargain bin title that is really good, it's sequel (spiritual or actual) will probably make it's way into the "on release" group (after doing some research, of course). Sure I've overpaid for some titles this way but I could rattle off a list of titles that have given me many hours of enjoyable computer gaming (I too purchased Mount and Blade in beta form many years ago, but I haven't played it much).

As a gamer, I'm not ever really sure which game I will enjoy or why. I've pre-ordered every BFC title (CM:BO was BTS) that I could and have gifted others with them too (for selfish reasons no doubt!). I've only really been burned once, and we all know when that was, by this stategy. But even that one time has more than been made up for in my eyes by the work done since then to fix and enhance the title.

So, I can see why Joe Gamer would pick up a copy of CMSF for bargain bin prices. I can also understand why a developer would think their title has a lot of value. As a gamer, I've played a lot of titles that were critically acclaimed that I didn't care for. Those games offered a lot of value to a lot of people but very little to me.

Of course, if Joe Gamer has played the demo and knows he must have the title I would think him somewhat foolish for not supporting the developers more directly - I assume Joe would like to see more titles from BF...

It rather reminds me of Vlassic pickles.

They were a prosperous enough little company. Then they had the misfortune to get hooked up with megastore Walmart, who insisted they provide huge pickle jars at insanely low prices. It wasn't very long before Vlassic had run themselves entirely out of cucumbers to pickle, and barely saw a dime of profit for all their hard work. Goodbye Vlassic pickle Co. A victim of Walmart's draconian pricing structure.

A LOT of game developers have gone under over the years due to insane retail protocols. It does BFC little good that I can see to be a 'big seller' at $5 a pop, with even that chump-change going to some European distributor.

My view, from the outside, is that BFC singed with Paradox because CMSF had taken so long they had to get some money in. That was an an unfortunate necessity. The good news from BFCs standpoint is that they didn't have to sign away the modules or future games. My primary regret is that this pushing them on to Normandy sooner and more completely than I had hoped. I still really want drones and a few thousand other things in CMSF. But CMSF2 will be along, eventually. And Normandy will certainly be excellent on its own merits.

My view, from the outside, is that BFC singed with Paradox because CMSF had taken so long they had to get some money in.

Heh, your view is wrong. Which it often is from the outside :)

We signed a deal with Paradox because they made us an offer we could not refuse. :D We decided to do it knowing full well what the implications were, including the inevitable retail budget sell-offs that occur anytime between 1-3 months after the game is out. It's part of the whole plan. At first it was a good plan to make money quickly, now it's what retail has to do because people are expecting it.

Since our Modular approach to the series was already fully developed and coded at the time we knew that biting the bullet on $5 budget bin sell-offs for the main game will be balanced out by increasing our customer base for the Modules. This is precisely what we've seen happen with above-expectiation Marines sales, and I would not be surprised if we'll see just the same thing happen again with the Brits :)