Target Smoke

Tweaks to the deployment of smoke have fixed a lot of the problems people have experienced thus far. But it isn't perfect and I personally would like to see a Target Smoke command as an option. There are some reasons which are inherent to CMx2's current form that make this problematic. Therefore, a full solution isn't possible until we change some other stuff first. Those things are slated to change for Normandy.

Steve

Think of all the tank gun smoke shells that got fired in CMBO & CMAK. Russian tanks in CMBB didn't have a smoke shell so died very much more quickly when facing Big Cats. We'll finally get one modern tank with a smoke shell in CMSF, but they're really going to come in handy once Normandy rolls around.

Random hypothesizing here...

Why has infantry smoke-popping not improved so clearly as to warrant including a "Target Smoke" command? Because (I reckon) there is no corresponding "Throw Frag Grenades" command.

*shrug*

Dietrich,

It is a code reason. With vehicles that can fire smoke shells you are directing the main weapon to fire a different type of ammunition. With infantry you are telling the infantry to fire something other than a weapon in a direction that might be in conflict with what the weapons are firing at. This might seem like splitting hairs to a gamer, but to the code these are two entirely different things. It can be coded around, obviously, but it does require a specific coding effort and we have not felt the need warrants carving out the time for it. Yet, anyway.

As stated, the tweaked behavior for v1.20 improves the status quo to a large extent. And it didn't come at the expense of other features of any significance. It's a good compromise for improvement in one area without sacrificing improvement in another IMHO.

Steve

Dietrich,

It is a code reason. With vehicles that can fire smoke shells you are directing the main weapon to fire a different type of ammunition. With infantry you are telling the infantry to fire something other than a weapon in a direction that might be in conflict with what the weapons are firing at. This might seem like splitting hairs to a gamer, but to the code these are two entirely different things. It can be coded around, obviously, but it does require a specific coding effort and we have not felt the need warrants carving out the time for it. Yet, anyway.

*shrug* Doesn't seem so much like hair-splitting to me. While I would like my infantry to hurl their smoke grenades in a particular direction at a given time, since there isn't a corresponding "Target Frag Grenades" button, I don't mind that there isn't a "Target Smoke" command.

As stated, the tweaked behavior for v1.20 improves the status quo to a large extent. And it didn't come at the expense of other features of any significance. It's a good compromise for improvement in one area without sacrificing improvement in another IMHO.

Sounds plenty good to me. :)