Identify this SP Arty vehicle

This think showed up recently in the yard of a crane company. I pass it every day on my way to and home from work. I wondered what model it was and finally pulled the truck over to take a few quick pics with my cell phone.

Anybody know exactly what this thing is?

original.jpg

original.jpg

Thanks,

Kevin

You must be color blind. The alternative is of course that you are a dangerous psychotic who should be locked up for your own good and that of the community.

One of those statements is definately true, the other is only probably true.

It remains demonstably true, however, that the blue scheme in the first post is eye-jarringly ugly (and in NO way comparable to HMS Belfast :mad: )

dumrox,

Given the numerous AFV family members I've seen blown to pieces in live fire ordnance tests and demos, I marvel there are any left to exhibit--however ghastly and ridiculous the paint scheme!

It's an M53 with extended barrel. 155mm, not the 8 inch of an M55. Here's a Nam shot of one in Marine service.

http://www.12thmarineartilleryregimentassociation.org/P-18-A.jpg

http://www.12thmarineartilleryregimentassociation.org/USMC-LRA-M53155SPHowitzer.html

When these were phased out they were replaced with the 175mm M107 SP, mounting the U.S. version of the ultra long range German K 18 im Morser Lafette.

Regards,

John Kettler