Marines Campaign Mission Afternoon Delight

I mentioned about the 2000 pts for ANY casualties in another thread and Steven said he would check into it. My theory is a extra zero got included and the points given for casualties should be 200.

Hopefully, it will be fixed for path 1.2.

Edit: D'oh. Ninjaed by the man himself.

Yeah, best I can figure is an extra zero slipped in there. And if you guys know the things various people have threatened me with if I ever name another scenario after an annoying 70s song... you'd lose any remaining faith in the goodness of Humanity, that's for sure! Apparently that song is VERY hard to get out of your head once it's in there.

DOH! It's true.

Steve

Yeah, best I can figure is an extra zero slipped in there. And if you guys know the things various people have threatened me with if I ever name another scenario after an annoying 70s song... you'd lose any remaining faith in the goodness of Humanity, that's for sure! Apparently that song is VERY hard to get out of your head once it's in there.

DOH! It's true.

Steve

All I can think of now is when they sing it in Anchorman

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished 'Afternoon Delight' on my v1.21 Marines Campaign playthrough.

Got a tactical defeat due to the "Friendly Casualties" 2000 points for the Syrians.

This scenario can still not be won .. anybody care to elaborate?

I've seen a statement saying that it cannot be won, but the campaign will progress nevertheless (which is true).

Just wondering what this scenario is supposed to represent:confused:

Just finished 'Afternoon Delight' on my v1.21 Marines Campaign playthrough.

Got a tactical defeat due to the "Friendly Casualties" 2000 points for the Syrians.

This scenario can still not be won .. anybody care to elaborate?

I've seen a statement saying that it cannot be won, but the campaign will progress nevertheless (which is true).

Just wondering what this scenario is supposed to represent:confused:

The scenario can't be won unless you take 0 (zero) casualties. Even 1 WIA will give the Syrians 2000 points and there is no way for blue to accumulate enough points. I lost with only 2 WIA in my best playthrough so I know the threshold is ANY casualty.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, the problem is an extra zero as I believe the intent was the Syrians were to get 200 points for casualties, not 2000.

Hopefully, it will get fixed at some point. I prefer sooner rather than later.

The scenario can't be won unless you take 0 (zero) casualties. Even 1 WIA will give the Syrians 2000 points and there is no way for blue to accumulate enough points. I lost with only 2 WIA in my best playthrough so I know the threshold is ANY casualty.

Hm, I don't think this is the case .. when I load the scenario (got a save right before the start of the scen) and immediately 'Cease Fire', the Syrians will still get 2000 points, even when I take 0 casualties. It should also be noted that the summary shows the points for their (that is the Syrians) Friendly Casualties, which leads me to believe that it does not involve any of the US casualties. So they do get 2000 points with their force fully intact as well as when it is completely annihilated.

Big mystery, this one ...:rolleyes:

Hmmph. More a big screwup in defining the victory conditions rather than a big mystery, I suspect. I assume, of course, that the game engine does what is expected of it when it evaluates victory thresholds and conditions and if the outcome is not what is expected, then something about how the victory conditions are defined or aggregated is what is at issue.

Based on what you said, it appears that victory of any sort is, indeed, impossible. I wonder why this was not caught in the playtest/Q&A process, unless it was the intent to 'predetermine' the outcome because of how the campaign 'branching' was designed.

Hmmph. More a big screwup in defining the victory conditions rather than a big mystery, I suspect. I assume, of course, that the game engine does what is expected of it when it evaluates victory thresholds and conditions and if the outcome is not what is expected, then something about how the victory conditions are defined or aggregated is what is at issue.

Based on what you said, it appears that victory of any sort is, indeed, impossible. I wonder why this was not caught in the playtest/Q&A process, unless it was the intent to 'predetermine' the outcome because of how the campaign 'branching' was designed.

BlackMoria, thanks for the reply .. yeah, maybe the branching was the reason for it .. the state it is in now, it is not really worth playing.

I would 'Cease Fire' immediatley the next time, the result will be a tactical defeat, which i think is the best one can achieve currently. At least you won't lose any men for nothing.

Would be nice if this could be fixed or, assuming it is already WAD, explained.

We did fix this for, IIRC, v1.20. However, it requires going through the update process for the campaign file itself since that is where the problem lies. In other words, if you play Afternoon Delight using the original Marines Campaign it will always exhibit this problem. So the question is... did you guys update your Campaign (new feature as of v1.20)? Here are the steps:

• When a campaign scenario is updated, you can "import" your current progress from a saved game into the new scenario. Steps:

◦ 1. Update CMSF to v1.20.

◦ 2. Using v1.20 or later, save your current campaign between battles - from the point just after you dismiss the end-of-battle screen. Importing will not work for saves made at any other point.

◦ 3. From the main intro screen, start a New Campaign, and select the updated version of the campaign you want to use. HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT KEY as you click the OK button.

◦ 4. Immediately an "import" screen will appear. You'll see your saved game here. Select it, click OK, and then things proceed as normal. The game does the best it can to match battle history and core units from your saved game to the new version of the campaign, but if the author has made major changes then this will be difficult, so the whole process of importing works best when updates to the campaign are relatively small ones.

Steve

In other words, if you play Afternoon Delight using the original Marines Campaign it will always exhibit this problem. So the question is... did you guys update your Campaign (new feature as of v1.20)?

Thanks for the answer.

So you're saying that if we started the marines campaign when 1.2 came out we should not have a problem, right?

I'm asking because I'm considering starting it up again... somehow I've never got around to finishing a campaign, and I've heard soooo much about Pooh.

We did fix this for, IIRC, v1.20. However, it requires going through the update process for the campaign file itself since that is where the problem lies. In other words, if you play Afternoon Delight using the original Marines Campaign it will always exhibit this problem. So the question is... did you guys update your Campaign (new feature as of v1.20)?

Hi Steve, thanks for taking the time to provide an answer.

I don't think the Save Game / update is an issue here, I started a completely fresh campaign from the beginning with v1.21. So if it was indeed fixed, it should not exhibit this behaviour anymore.

Out of interest, I had a look at the time when my Marines campaign file (Semper Fi Syria.cam) has last been changed on my computer, it was 22/12/2008. Version 1.11 came out on 21/12/2008, so that seems to be the last time the campaign has been updated.

The reason why I can be so sure is that I have never reinstalled CMSF or any modules, simply no need to. I also didn't switch computers since first installing CMSF base in July 2007. I'm also quite sure that I always updated correctly, as everything works as it should.

Maybe somebody could have a look if similar installs can be found .. it looks to me like the Marines campaign file has not been updated since v1.11. (Also, any readme's and update lists I could find did not mention an update)