To anyone contemplating a purchase....

Darryl

I've been a loyal customer of BF since CMBO's initial release. I've purchased every title in the CM series. When SF was released I opted for DD and physical shipment.

Long story short: My HD crashed necessitating the installation of the physical copy onto my new system. I'm asked for an e-license number. I have no e-license number. I've searched for the elusive "sticker" that supposedly has this number, but to no avail.

Two weeks ago I sent an email to tech support asking for guidance. To date I have received not even an automated response! Just thought I'd post this for consideration. I'd hate for anyone else to get ripped off.

Sincerely,

A FORMER loyal customer

Well, I don't know what to say, other than you haven't been ripped off. You have an eLicense number already or you wouldn't have been able to ever play the game. If you have a physical version only it's on the DVD case. If you have a download only version it's in the confirmation email that you received when you did the download. If you purchased a combo, then you received a confirmation email with the eLicense number.

Now, if you can't find the confirmation email, then obviously you're in a bind for the moment. There are no support emails unanswered as far as I know, so I don't know what to tell you about the email you sent prior. We've been running with less than a day's response time for quite a while now.

Best thing to do is email Martin at martin@battlefront.com and he'll be able to resend your eLicense code.

Steve

We've been running with less than a day's response time for quite a while now.

Steve

That was my experience after I had a computer rebuild. I sent an Email off not expecting prompt or even any reply based on my experiences with other games (Armed Assault.. cough.. Sprocket). A few hours later Moon replied with all my details, great service.

Email is unreliable, and is becoming more and more unreliable every year with very aggressive spam blocking schemes on the one hand, and more and more skilled spammers on the other.

Either we never got Darryl's email or, more likely, we did and responded and the response landed in his junk mail folder. Which is why we have implemented the HelpDesk in 2007, which works entirely without email, and why we have recently further improved it. It's at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk. Most if not all incoming support emails are routed through ther AND we have an auto-responder now as well, so if you get NO response at all, then this means that our replies are being blocked by your ISP and you should check the helpdesk for your ticket status.

BTW, Darryl's case of having lost his key is mentioned in detail in the Knowledgebase (same place as the helpdesk). Not only that, it onyl applies to customers who placed their order before Oct 1, 2007, because all downloadable orders placed after that date have the key saved in their customer account, and are accessible 24/7 without the need to contact out support at all.

For what it's worth, I had the same problem for a while, months after I got the game. I blindly assumed that the required key will be with the CD case when you order download + physical package and didn't bother to store away the email explicitly.

I know that fixing this would be a shipping mess but it's not really user friendly. Must be the first game package I have that doesn't have the key.

Also, the orderid versus whateverkeyyouneedhere mess at the beginning of SF didn't help. I found the orderid quickly, and initial emails said I need to enter those.

For what it's worth, I had the same problem for a while, months after I got the game. I blindly assumed that the required key will be with the CD case when you order download + physical package and didn't bother to store away the email explicitly.

I know that fixing this would be a shipping mess but it's not really user friendly. Must be the first game package I have that doesn't have the key.

Also, the orderid versus whateverkeyyouneedhere mess at the beginning of SF didn't help. I found the orderid quickly, and initial emails said I need to enter those.

Redwolf, well, the system changed completely from what it was when we released CMSF. Oct 1, 2007 we launched a completely new store, so whatever you remember is completely irrelevant now.

Right now, while the key isn't printed on the box for downloadable orders, it is always accessible to you in your customer account, even if you don't save it explicitely on your end. You don't even need to wait for an email to get your key or to download a game. After your purchase you're immediately logged into your account and can look up EVERYTHING in there.

To clarify (and it's really not all that difficult):

We sell (most) games with the following three options:

- download only

- mail only

- download&mail

For the two download options obviously you need to get your key immediately after your purchase, otherwise you wouldn't be able to download. Hence, the key is generated right away when you purchase, and stored in your customer account. If you ordered Download&Mail, the key is NOT attached to the physical goods, because you already have it! (in your customer account, and you used it to download the game).

For the Mail Only option, you don't need your key before you get the product in the mail, so the key is printed on the box (only).

MehMan, your name sounds familiar, did you do addon editing for OFP and ArmA?

yyyeessss....

but I'm too much of a slacker to actually achieve something. Seeing how I see my stuff as crap and how it just took too long to achieve something decent looking I gave up with actually trying to make a whole mod. I did make some infantry and half the weapons for them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSvF-1KtnXI&fmt=22

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo312/Gorak_2008/woot.jpg

Redwolf,

I don't even want to think of how many problems we would have on the production side of things if each product we ship had to have a specific license key sticker that matches a code already sent out by email. "Shipping mess" doesn't even cover what I'm thinking about :D In theory it could happen, but it would be quite expensive to set up and maintain so I think we'll leave it the way it is since we've had very few problems since we implemented this system (remember, this is the way it works for *all* Battlefront products, not just CM:SF).

That being said, I do agree it would be nice if the email could be sent out with the code and a matching sticker on physical product.

Steve

No doubt, Steve. On the other hand, the problem is much much smaller now that keys are web-accessible 24/7. In the old days you ONLY had your email to refer to (and if you lost it, you had to contact our support). Now, emails are not even needed at all (they're still sent but only as an additional backup), and you can look up your key online at any time without having to wait for a support person to dig it out of the database for you.

No doubt, Steve. On the other hand, the problem is much much smaller now that keys are web-accessible 24/7. In the old days you ONLY had your email to refer to (and if you lost it, you had to contact our support). Now, emails are not even needed at all (they're still sent but only as an additional backup), and you can look up your key online at any time without having to wait for a support person to dig it out of the database for you.

When will those of us who pre-ordered or otherwise purchased prior to 10/01/2007 be able to access our account information online?

When will those of us who pre-ordered or otherwise purchased prior to 10/01/2007 be able to access our account information online?

You won't. There is no way to import the old orders into the new system, so if you lose your key for a game you ordered prior to Oct 1 2007, you still have to contact support as before. The new system only works for new orders placed after that date.

You won't. There is no way to import the old orders into the new system, so if you lose your key for a game you ordered prior to Oct 1 2007, you still have to contact support as before. The new system only works for new orders placed after that date.

Would BF consider adding a field to a user's account information database allowing users to input their key?

Normally I wouldn't bring this up here, but since we're already talking about it, here goes.

I just unlicensed CMSF:Marines and I am now unable to launch "vanilla" CMSF. What am I missing?

And, were I to uninstall CMSF and then re-install it without the Marines module, would I use the key I just used to unlicense CMSF:Marines?

Normally I wouldn't bring this up here, but since we're already talking about it, here goes.

I just unlicensed CMSF:Marines and I am now unable to launch "vanilla" CMSF. What am I missing?

And, were I to uninstall CMSF and then re-install it without the Marines module, would I use the key I just used to unlicense CMSF:Marines?

The license key for Marines will work for BOTH the base game and Marines module AS LONG AS MARINES IS INSTALLED. If it's not, then a key that you use for Marines will not work with the base game ALONE. You would need a separate key for the base game ONLY.

Check out the Knowledge base for Modules at www.battlefront.com/faq