Midway Major campaign

First, I would just like to say great game guys, but it would be nice I think if sometime in the future the SC team works to create a Midway major campaign. It's just a thought of one road this game could go down in the future. If this actually does go through which I unfortunately doubt it will it will give both Japan and the Allies the chance to fight the war once the beginning part was all over. Sort of like my favorite Fall Blau campaign in SC2. I do know that there is a minor Midway campaign, and I've played it a lot. Like I've said above I'm VERY happy with this game, and I think this would be nice if this could happen to it. Great job once again on creating another great game Hubert, and company.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with you on this scotts. This would be a perfect beginning for a what if game where the Japanese were successful at taking Midway(the high tide).

Its not that farfetched and it would bring the whole map into the playing arena instead of what OpZ represents.

Victory conditions could be adjusted accordingly.

Thank you SeaMonkey, I appreciate your opinion. Off subject I did make a campaign like this with the editor, but I doubt I got the right placing of units, etc. I guess I just didn't want to go to the trouble of finding out where about 200+ units were at that time, but I got all the important Midway units correct.

First, I would just like to say great game guys, but it would be nice I think if sometime in the future the SC team works to create a Midway major campaign. It's just a thought of one road this game could go down in the future. If this actually does go through which I unfortunately doubt it will it will give both Japan and the Allies the chance to fight the war once the beginning part was all over. Sort of like my favorite Fall Blau campaign in SC2. I do know that there is a minor Midway campaign, and I've played it a lot. Like I've said above I'm VERY happy with this game, and I think this would be nice if this could happen to it. Great job once again on creating another great game Hubert, and company.

I'm curious what your opinion is of the Midway scenario. I have not found a satisfactory way to replicate the historical importance of recon (all those PBY's and SBD's fanning out to search for the Kido Butai!). Probing with subs and DD's yields the results, but lacks the drama, at least for me. I'm guessing that if you have, as you said, played Midway a lot, then perhaps you have found a way to make it more exciting?

I have found a way to make it more exciting, and if I get support from a few key people I might just create a Major Midway MOD and see how that works. First though I would like to see who is up for the idea, and then I will see if it's worth going for? By the way I never lie especially when I'm talking about playing some type of scenario over and over again. Not that I think you're accusing me of it. By the way I really wasn't told anything by anybody about the problem on another thread topic. I just had a very bad choice of words I think that implied a different meaning. That's also not a lie.

I have found a way to make it more exciting, and if I get support from a few key people I might just create a Major Midway MOD and see how that works. First though I would like to see who is up for the idea, and then I will see if it's worth going for? By the way I never lie especially when I'm talking about playing some type of scenario over and over again. Not that I think you're accusing me of it. By the way I really wasn't told anything by anybody about the problem on another thread topic. I just had a very bad choice of words I think that implied a different meaning. That's also not a lie.

I did not doubt you for a moment, but honestly assumed that you really have found a way to make the Midway scenario "come to life". If you're up for a PBEM of it, I would be more than willing.

If you are interested in modding a Midway scenario, I not only would be interested in seeing such a thing come to be, but would be interested in helping out with research and testing if you want the help.

Thank you very much. It's in its infancy stage, and I definitely need all the help I can get. I just need your email. Currently though I want Hubert to approve it, because after all he is the one that created the game, and if he's on board then this has a chance to be a real success. After that I would be thrilled to be the first one to play it with you.

Scotts, actually I think getting the historical deployments correct for this "High Tide" scenario wouldn't be all that difficult.

Course some of the unit names would have to be changed(incorrect), as we need to protect the innocent.:D Seriously though, a full scale campaign with the Aleutians and Midway successfully occupied would be a nice beginning for that balanced contest many of us may like as an alternative to Z.

SeaMonkey, would you like to join the team to produce this Midway Campaign? I want to get everyone who wants to help me out with this MOD on the "team" by this weekend so I can begin production of this game. I'm more afraid of making mistakes with units in Asia and the islands in the Western to Central Pacific. As I already know where all the major units are (CV's and BB's).

Alright this is all beginning to come together. I want to start production of it no later than February 2nd, and so far it's me, you, and Happycat. Feel free to begin to look into the location of units during early June 42'. One last thing is that I need your email so that we can send each other info about the campaign. Other than that welcome aboard SeaMonkey.

Understand scotts, currently I'm in the process of burying my Dad. My Mom will need a lot of attention in the coming days so my interaction on this mod will be intermittent.

I've been on my laptop for a long time now, it hooks up wirelessly in hotspots and the times I'm at work I use our WAN, so most of my posting has been done away from my home library and internet account.

I've been in this state of transition for quite awhile now but there is light at the end of the tunnel finally.....but its still hard to commit. I said I would assist but if your timeline is not flexible then perhaps you should seek help from other sources.

My email at work is btaylor@camincargo.com and at home bradtap@aol.com

I'll try to look into some of the deployment configurations this next week, but I warn you, I have a massive list of higher priorities in conjunction with a 24/7 business, not to mention the incessant requests from other human beings for help.

Its very difficult to accomodate everyone and everything but I try to share as much as possible. Most likely the degree of assitance will equate to me providing guidance and ideas to resolve issues, with brief flurries of actual detailed input.

Sorry, that's the best I can offer.

Sorry for your loss SeaMonkey. Obviously what you just said changes everything. Family first is a motto that I strongly support. Don't worry about the production of this MOD. My timeline is flexible, but I just want to keep things moving without stopping, because if I stop I feel like we will lose whatever momentum has been built up over the course of that amount of time. With this said don't be sorry for that being the best that you can offer. Although I will delay the start of production for a bit I'm not going to delay it forever. I just can't do that, because I feel like I've made a promise that I want to keep. I'm also experiencing problems right now with the game, and I'd probably need to resolve this first anyway. Sorry for your loss once more, I hope you get support from those close around you (always seems to lessen the massive blow of losing a family member).

Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm very sorry to hear that SeaMonkey.

I haven't spoken before with regards to the plan to make a mod starting in June 1942 but I do think it's a great idea.

One source to look out for is Purnell's History of the Second World War as I'm pretty sure there's a decent map of unit dispositions circa June 1942 in it.

A good book on the war in China is When Tigers Fight: Story of the Sino-Japanese War, 1937-45 by Dick Wilson. It will help with understanding the situation in China, and will help work out some of the deployments there (but only up to a point).

I cannot recommend too highly General Bill Slim's "Defeat Into Victory". It is probably my favourite WWII book, it tells the story of the Burma-India campaigns very well because not only will it tell you a lot about dispositions etc, it is also very educational as he considers the various strategies available. Reading it inspired me to make both the scenarios set in Burma.

All the above should be of some help in designing this, and the USMC history of WWII should help for the US side: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/

Good luck! :)

One source to look out for is Purnell's History of the Second World War as I'm pretty sure there's a decent map of unit dispositions circa June 1942 in it.

A good book on the war in China is When Tigers Fight: Story of the Sino-Japanese War, 1937-45 by Dick Wilson. It will help with understanding the situation in China, and will help work out some of the deployments there (but only up to a point).

I cannot recommend too highly General Bill Slim's "Defeat Into Victory". It is probably my favourite WWII book, it tells the story of the Burma-India campaigns very well because not only will it tell you a lot about dispositions etc, it is also very educational as he considers the various strategies available. Reading it inspired me to make both the scenarios set in Burma.

Thanks, I'll have a look at General Slim's book, as we have it at our local library. Wislon and Purnell's books don't seem to be in the system, unfortunately.

I’d like to support your effort. I have an English translation of History of the Sino-Japanese war (1937-1945). It lists down to the division level units and dispositions. I might be able to come up with a workable China theater unit deployment scheme for June 1942. If you want, I could do a little research for you.