Only have 22 years to live!

Well, looks that way.

I have now been refused medical insurance cover twice! Due to my medical history of diabetes, high blood pressure and depression (and only being 39 a smoker and moderate drinker)

I am not angry that they wont cover me - I am a bad bet.

But got me thinking..I wanted cover for 22 years so are they saying the likelyhood is that I will die before then? If so does anyone know how they calculate the risk verses return particularly with life insurance?

And does anyone know of a method of calculating how long one might live?

22 years is a long time - not short enough to stop work or go on that world tour or marry that 18 year old thai bride...

Well, looks that way.

I have now been refused medical insurance cover twice! Due to my medical history of diabetes, high blood pressure and depression (and only being 39 a smoker and moderate drinker)

But got me thinking..I wanted cover for 22 years so are they saying the likelyhood is that I will die before then? If so does anyone know how they calculate the risk verses return particularly with life insurance?

And does anyone know of a method of calculating how long one might live?

22 years is a long time - not short enough to stop work or go on that world tour or marry that 18 year old thai bride...

wow! I guess this denial of health coverage is a big problem if the health coverage industry is run by the private sector and is out to make a profit? Do you live in the U.S.? Does this type of denial occur in other countries with government-run health care? (specifically those communist countries such as Canada, England, Germany, Norway, Finland,etc?).

By Patrocles

Does this type of denial occur in other countries with government-run health care? (specifically those communist countries such as Canada, England, Germany, Norway, Finland,etc?).

Not yet.

In fact, (in Finland) if/when you are diagnosed you get state healthcare benefits which occur in the form of various degrees of reduction (up to 100%) in medication prices as well as (relatively) cheap costs if hospitalized.

On the downside we have high tax rates.

wow! I guess this denial of health coverage is a big problem if the health coverage industry is run by the private sector and is out to make a profit? Do you live in the U.S.? Does this type of denial occur in other countries with government-run health care? (specifically those communist countries such as Canada, England, Germany, Norway, Finland,etc?).

ahahah...no am in the communist UK ;)

I do get free med's but no life cover fom the state...but with current climate and nationalisation of banks then may be in the future so we all dont start losing our houses during the recession...proabaly a step to far though.

I hate to be blunt, but I think that 22 yrs remaining is an over-projection. High BP, diabetes, smokes and drinks. 22 years seems like a long time now, but look back at how quickly you got to 39. Start taking care of yourself dude, seriously - especially if you have a family and others that care about you, do it for them.

But if you grab one now, she will be 40 if you die in 22 years.....and won't you be done with her at that point? Plus all the husband-ly duties might actually get you in shape. Or outright kill you.

Either way, problem solved.

If you wanted a policy for 22 years but they refused, it doesn't mean that you have 22 years to live. It means that the insurance company knows that you're going to die sooner than that, probably within a couple of months. Good luck.

...nah, they have no way of knowing that. They're in the business to make profit, and signing contracts with risk cases like yourself doesn't make them helluva profit, unless you're willing to pay them outrageous amounts of money. Which would be bad business for you. But GJK is correct: you should shape up. Drop the fags and booze, start jogging. It might mean that you get attacked by bums, but after a while you will be able to outrun them. And maybe then, when you've turned into that Fitness Titan from Planet Muscle, the insurance companies will come to your door begging for you to sign.

After that, you can relax and resume boozing and smoking.

I hate to be blunt, but I think that 22 yrs remaining is an over-projection. High BP, diabetes, smokes and drinks. 22 years seems like a long time now, but look back at how quickly you got to 39. Start taking care of yourself dude, seriously - especially if you have a family and others that care about you, do it for them.

Yeah I know, wife is on the case dont worry...

If it is any consolation then maybe the entire Galaxy has just become uninsurable too:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/jan/05/galaxy-collision-space-milky-way

I'm afraid we may both miss the fireworks by a few years though, even if we lay off the booze.

I remember when I was young that someone or some programme, said, that we would be the first generation to life forever...

If you wanted a policy for 22 years but they refused, it doesn't mean that you have 22 years to live. It means that the insurance company knows that you're going to die sooner than that, probably within a couple of months. Good luck.

...nah, they have no way of knowing that. They're in the business to make profit, and signing contracts with risk cases like yourself doesn't make them helluva profit, unless you're willing to pay them outrageous amounts of money. Which would be bad business for you. But GJK is correct: you should shape up. Drop the fags and booze, start jogging. It might mean that you get attacked by bums, but after a while you will be able to outrun them. And maybe then, when you've turned into that Fitness Titan from Planet Muscle, the insurance companies will come to your door begging for you to sign.

After that, you can relax and resume boozing and smoking.

Some selected stats:

- after you quit smoking your chance to get lung cancer drops down after two years and even after that you are not out of the woods the same way non-smokers are

- your calculated life expectancy after retiring is two years, that is why they are pushing the retirement age further and further when the overall life expectancy increases across the board

In essense: if you drop every bad habit at once you still carry the baggage for a long time.

Well, looks that way.

But got me thinking..I wanted cover for 22 years so are they saying the likelyhood is that I will die before then?

Look on the bright side: maybe you'll get hit by a truck tomorrow and the laugh will be on them.

Michael

There's some chit-chat about healthcare in a thread at Gyrene's place...

http://dosomefink.com/phpbb2/index.php?topic=3209.0

Besides the US, posters include folk from such communist countries as Canada and Australia.

Sense of humour seems to be a strong help. The refernce to William Hill is the firm who took the bet on and had to pay £25000

He said it was also important not to worry about anything, do as little work as possible, and go on lots of holidays.He also plays chess every day, running a local club.

He said in recent months he had been keeping watch for "any hooded groups from William Hill standing in the street", so that he could avoid them.

He also said he had already received his birthday card from the Queen.

"In fact, I think I saw her delivering it on her bicycle," he joked.

In the thread there seems to be confusion about life insurance and healthcare. You can get refused for both I am sure but in most civilised countries healthcare is primarily free.

Life insurance is not necessary but certainly it is nice to have if you have family debts. I have debts but I have not had any life insurance for a decade or more as my policies were only taken long enough to cover the children through until they were 21 years. Even that was not totally necessary but it was relatively cheap as I took policies that paid a fixed sum per year on my death - what is called a Family Income Benefit.

Advantageous too the insurance company as they face a diminishing payout as I get older. I take a policy at 25 for 20years for £10000 - I die the next day and they pay £10000 a year to my widow. I die year 19 and they are on the hook for £20000 in depreciated value so it is quite a cheap payout. And it means cheap premiums - so much so that a lot of insurance agents/salesmen would not mention it if possible as it paid little commission. It is better known now.

when I got type I Diabetes I stopped smoking cigars, quit liqour(I miss my vodka/tonics) but I still drink a dark bier(If I can get schwarzbier) with dinner, but I don't drink to get drunk, and take 81mg aspirins daily for the BP/heart..my BP is high but not dangerous...also working on giving up sugar...that's my vice...the hard one to kick.

I still got axed on my health coverage, so I am paying for my stuff out of pocket..which hurts..and I can't get new health cause I am a Type I. I take care of myself, 150lbs, workout, walk 1-2mi a day and eat healthy..but I don't know I hate HMOs and the US Health system with all my angst, first for the way it treats the people and second for being such a second rate system in a 1st rate country. I am not a liberal..but I am a strong supporter of Universal Healthcare, or making the US healthcare more SERVICE and Less Profit, and it sucks I spent 3 years in Europe working for my firm, and dealt with the German and French healthcare systems(Pre-Diabetes) and now dealing with the US crap again it just makes me sad for those less well off than me that have to go through it.