Black Shark Ka-50 Helo Sim

panzermartin

If it's like LOMAC and FC you fight on a billiards table, so it's a huge turkey shoot. A lot of people like it though.

I've been playing the russian version for weeks and I have no idea what you're talking about. You must be playing on some rather freaky billard tables. And shooting some amazingly tough and deadly turkeys.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll92/Para_Bellum/bs10.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll92/Para_Bellum/tut014.jpg

Ok..This thing reminds me when I was a kid and first tried "Tornado" of ID software. It was harder than my algebra class but finally got to be one of my most favorite games.

Black Shark looks very nice but you need to know almost every switch in the cockpit to fly properly. I thought pressing "home" was enough to start the engines but no...back to training :rolleyes:

BTW if you've just installed Black Shark and feel a bit lost, I've created a little "newbie tutorial" together with a simple training mission which might help a bit.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2626185/STICKY_Tutorial_How_to_take_of.html#Post2626185

I like BS, I like it a lot. It offers IMO one of the best flight models ever done on a home computer, the actual feeling of flight is incredibly well done. The sim IS very complex, but you don't have to actually know every knob and switch in the cockpit, there's a "cheat"-key that auto-starts all systems and to enjoy the sim you really don't need to have a deeper understanding of stuff like the ABRIS system etc.

If you're into modern flightsims, BUY Black Shark and support one of the few remaining devs for hardcore sims. It's money well spent.

I'm sure the game is fun for people, but I wouldn't call it realistic.

Have you actually played Black Shark? I ask because you make it sound like some arcade-game when in fact it is one of the best simulations I've played in some 20 years of gaming. Spotting too easy? Honestly, we must be playing completely different games. I have no idea what kind of grafical detail you expect from such a sim.

Taking your expectations neither the Combat Mission series, nor Falcon 4, Steal Beasts ProPE or IL2 are "realistic".

I certainly didn't want to insult you, Adam. I just get the feeling that your actual experience with Black Shark is kinda superficial. You don't seem to realize that the terrain engine has developed quite a bit since LOMAC and the Flaming Cliffs addon. Your comments are absolutely puzzling to someone who has actually spent a fair amount of time with the sim both offline and in multiplayer missions and I found them quite a bit unfair. Honestly, if you compare Black Shark to a "turkey shoot" and write stuff like "fun, but not realistic" because of the limitations of its grafical engine you should be prepared for the kind of comments I directed at you.

My question still stands: did you actually play the campaign? On "realistic" settings? And you still feel it's a "turkey shoot"? If yes, then I certainly pull my hat.

Anyone can see the screenshots on the website (e.g, http://lockon.co.uk/img/products/large/04b5479c9e2d2f12f225a4bc058ffe82.jpg) or even your tutorial and it is plain that there is zero resemblance to the amount of clutter a chopper pilot must actually deal with. ]

To be fair, that screenshot is from a years old build of the game (you can tell right away because they're still calling it Lock On: Black Shark). Also, it's true that the terrain is generally quite flat, however it is an order of magnitude more complex than what you see in Lock On. The terrain mesh has twice the resolution, but more importantly trees and buildings are no longer transparent at medium to far distances. Furthermore, the LOD, haze effects, and shadow effects have all been adjusted radically from the days of Lock On. All in all, spotting anything at more than about 10 km is typically impossible. I'll grant that very long range spotting at under 10 km can still be done, but only for targets in wide, open, featureless plains, which are not as common as you would expect from playing Lock On.

You can take my word for it, or you can try it yourself. I've been flying 25's and 25T's in Lock On for many years, and after a month with Black Shark, I will tell you that it is a vastly different experience in regards to target finding. The majority of the time, the only way to locate the enemy is with the use of pre-defined TRP's, or by searching for dust kicked up by fire or maneuver.

Also, regardless of all this, to claim that Lock On is a more realistic simulation is missing a significant part of the picture. Remember that this is a combat *flight* simulation, and the flight simulation aspect of Black Shark is so very far above that of Lock On, that it's difficult to find even a single point of comparison. Trust me, if you try Black Shark, you will have many hours of learning to do before you can even think about locating the enemy. To me, going back to the 25T in Lock On after a few days of Black Shark felt like returning to Command and Conquer after a couple of operations in Combat Mission.

OK. Been playing with it for a few days, not nearly enough to scratch the surface, but enough to know that I have finally found a replacement for LB2. Of course I have yet to read the manual, like any true gamer I had to go straight to "instant action". Unlike LB and other sims I have to get used to my guided munitions missing from time to time, and I need to recover my shoot and scoot skills.

Just played the first mission from the campaign and damn if I did not enjoy every minute of the orientation flight. No action, but I got to practice my wingman skills and made an acceptable recovery at the field.

Overall I am very impressed and can't wait for the upcoming holidays so I can have more time to play.