How much RAM can CMSF utilize?

I assume you're speaking of purchasing a "whole" new computer ? If so, then for the computer to utilize 4GB or more of memory you'll need a 64-bit OS (which typically means Vista 64-bit). With a 32-bit OS (the most common sold), you'll max out at 4GB, but often you'll actually only be able to see quite a bit less than 4GB. At most you may see 3.5GB, but it can be as low as 2.5GB depending on what videocard or other devices you have installed (typically other PCI or PCI-E cards).

As for CMSF and future CMx2 titles, I'm not absolutely sure how much memory the games will address directly. Larger scenarios will definitely eat up more memory. I'd guess that 2GB might be the theoretical limit of addressable RAM by CMSF since it isn't running on a 64-bit code base (to my knowledge) and the OS isn't going to give apps access to a lot of memory either (again, usually 32-bit OSes). Even with a 64-bit OS, I don't think CMSF will use more than 2GB, though the extra memory may help with things in the background, though Vista will typically use any excess memory as disk-cache until another program requests it.

To summarize.... You should be safe with 4GB of RAM (the silicon kind). To utilize 4GB or more you may want to get Windows Vista 64-bit, which should run OK with CMSF and future CMx2 titles. There is the possibility that you may run into video driver issues... courtesy of the driver support of Nvidia and ATI/AMD for Vista in general (not specifically the 64-bit version).

I assume you're speaking of purchasing a "whole" new computer ? If so, then for the computer to utilize 4GB or more of memory you'll need a 64-bit OS (which typically means Vista 64-bit). With a 32-bit OS (the most common sold), you'll max out at 4GB, but often you'll actually only be able to see quite a bit less than 4GB. At most you may see 3.5GB, but it can be as low as 2.5GB depending on what videocard or other devices you have installed (typically other PCI or PCI-E cards).

As for CMSF and future CMx2 titles, I'm not absolutely sure how much memory the games will address directly. Larger scenarios will definitely eat up more memory. I'd guess that 2GB might be the theoretical limit of addressable RAM by CMSF since it isn't running on a 64-bit code base (to my knowledge) and the OS isn't going to give apps access to a lot of memory either (again, usually 32-bit OSes). Even with a 64-bit OS, I don't think CMSF will use more than 2GB, though the extra memory may help with things in the background, though Vista will typically use any excess memory as disk-cache until another program requests it.

To summarize.... You should be safe with 4GB of RAM (the silicon kind). To utilize 4GB or more you may want to get Windows Vista 64-bit, which should run OK with CMSF and future CMx2 titles. There is the possibility that you may run into video driver issues... courtesy of the driver support of Nvidia and ATI/AMD for Vista in general (not specifically the 64-bit version).

I am just trying to decide how much future proofing is worth paying for. Thanks for the advice.

Make that Single Core processor. They usually run at much higher speeds than multi-core, but it can bad investment because evey other game and application out there will benefit from the multiple cores.

BFC will eventually have to utilize the extra cores, it is clear that CPU developement will only expand sideways from now on, the vertical speed has stalled.

My FPS dropped significantly (or the scenarios got bigger, who knows), after i bought a brand new computer with all bells and whistles attached, replacing 3-year old system. Reason is, that the 4xCPU:s actually run at the same speed than the previous version and the benefits of new video card were lost in the higher resolutions needed for 24" panel.

Best rig for CMSF might very well be aging Intel based system, overclocked to heavens with new and good cooling system.

Make that Single Core processor. They usually run at much higher speeds than multi-core, but it can bad investment because evey other game and application out there will benefit from the multiple cores.

not really, a single core of any core 2 chip will thrash a P4, regardless of the Mhz rate