Vehicle path finding and turning circles

GraemeA

I've been struck by some of vehicle paths since the Marines Module and latest patch, so I did some experiments. In the tests shown below the road layout is identical, the vehicle was always given a move command, there are no enemy forces, objectives etc and I have tried to put the waypoints at the same place:

CMSF_Paths.jpg

In the first column, with no buildings near the junction, the lorry does a sharp left turn at the crossroads.

In the second column, with a building, it doesn't do the sharp left at the crossroads, but does a sharp(ish) left and then sharp right to get back on the road.

In the third column, with a building nearer the crossroads, it doesn't do any sharp turns at all.

When I first saw this in a scenario, my first thought was that it was the turning circle of the

vehicle that caused the behaviour, but the above results suggest that something more is involved. Any ideas?

Maybe the Tac AI "thinks" that there might be enemy in the buildings, even if there are no enemy troops on the map?

The way it looks to me is that the vehicle has a look around before driving between two buildings, or simply decides not to drive between them at all.

Two buildings close to a road does make a fantastic ambush point...

I hadn't thought about the possibility of an ambush. It is the effect of the distance of the buildings to the crossroads that puzzles me. If the TacAI thought 'ambush', it doesn't really explain the different behaviour in the second and third columns.

When I saw it first, I thought the closeness of the building to the crossroads (in the 3rd set) caused it turn off the road, because it couldn't turn sharp enough to stay on the road. But in the middle set, it does a very sharp right turn to get back on the road, sharper than it would need to stay on the road in the 3rd set.