Six Engine Propeller Plane?

16 hours ago, Buho said:

Now I'm questioning my sanity

Why? 

If you had already read this thread, you were primed. 

Then you get a momentary glimpse of a similar aircraft in unusual circumstances, so your brain does 2+1.5=4(ish)!

IMHO the brain's tendency to do this is the cause of both the UFO 'phenomenon' & humankind out-evolving the sabre-toothed tiger.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 5 months later...

So I'm nuts too. On  Tuesday, 27 July 2021 a large 6 engine prop plane that resembled a C130 but with a longer, and bigger fuselage, flew over Manchester Center VT. It was grey with no visible markings. It was quite low and easily visible. Started searching to find out what it was and find nothing. And now I see this has been sighted for years?  Why does no one know what it is?

• 1 year later...

This exact plane you guys are speaking of just passed over my house along with another C130 with 4 props ..i live in Limerick Ireland it just took off from Shannon airport i'm tracking it on flight radar 24 never seen a 6 engine C130 before thought it was unusual did sime googling and ended up here interested to know what this plane is used for .

• 1 year later...

The other day, I could have sworn that I saw a six engine propeller aircraft flying circles above Joint Base Lewis-McChord. Unfortunately, I was driving and couldn't get a picture. At first I thought it was a C-130 or P-3, but it didn't have the P-3 MAD boom and was kind of boxy looking. After watching it out my car window for a time, it banked, showing what looked like six propellers. No way of course to know if they were piston or turboprop. I tried searching the web today and haven't found anything that looks like what I remember seeing.

R U sure it wasn't 4 engines and other wing mounted nacelles or whatever?  That has always been the conclusion in this interesting thread and elsewhere.

As for type of engine, I now regularly have the A400M Atlas https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/atlas-c1-a400m/ flying overhead with 4 turboprops and there's no mistaking the noise.  I like it.